Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
turtle-11621736846229.jpg
Welcome to World Turtle Day!

Created and sponsored by American Tortoise Rescue, an organization that works to protect turtles and tortoises, World Turtle Day brings attention to turtles and tortoises so that both knowledge of and respect for them may be increased. The day aims to encourage humans to take action to help turtles and tortoises survive by protecting their habitats and stopping their illegal trade and sale. Turtles and tortoises face threats on many fronts: smuggling, cruel pet trade, the exotic food industry, destruction of their habitats, water contamination, and global warming.

There are approximately 330 species of turtles and tortoises. Turtles are aquatic or semi-aquatic, while tortoises live on land. Both turtles and tortoises live long lives, although tortoises can live much longer, reaching up to 200 years. Turtles and tortoises have shells that are covered by scutes, which are hard scales. Turtles shed their scutes, but tortoises do not. Both turtles and tortoises brumate in the fall or winter, which is similar to hibernation. They become slow, they cool down, and they stop eating, in an effort to protect themselves from cold weather.

SU News

Josh Richards Schedules Syracuse Official Visit (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football has prioritized East Orange (NJ) High wide receiver Josh Richards throughout the 2023 recruiting cycle. He visited for Junior Day in March and returned to campus in April. Richards will be back yet again as he has scheduled an official visit. The 6-3, 175 pounder will be on campus the weekend of June 24th, he tells All Syracuse.

You can read his post Junior Day visit interview HERE and his post April visit interview HERE.

In addition to Richards, the Orange will also host quarterback commit LaNorris Sellers, defensive end target Antonio Camon and offensive line target Eric King for officials that weekend. The previous weekend, New York State prospects Zyian Moultrie Goddard, Jalil Smith and commit David Clement will take official visits along with Colorado offensive line commit Naquil Betrand.

During his previous visits, Richards has spent time with the Syracuse coaches and got a close look at the facilities.

"I got to see the facility and talk to the coaches about what the program was really about," Richards said after his Junior Day visit. "Some of the best parts were seeing the Dome and getting to learn from coaches with years of experience. It's (the Dome) definitely a great environment to play in. The fans seem real supportive."

Syracuse Football: Orange extends offer to 4-star, top-20 edge in his class (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football coaches continue to dole out scholarship offers to top-flight prospects in the 2024 recruiting cycle.

One of the latest offers to go out from the ‘Cuse is to 2024 four-star edge Fatim Diggs, he recently revealed on Twitter. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Diggs is a sophomore at Woodrow Wilson High School in Camden, N.J.

We noted last month that the Orange coaching staff had offered four-star defensive back Willy Love. The 6-foot-4, 210-pound Love is also a sophomore at Woodrow Wilson High School.

Blessed to receive an offer from Syracuse university @WRCoachmj @RivalsFriedman @ShawnB_247 @Beastupacademy @BatherCoach @CoachAhmadCuse # pic.twitter.com/L0yoHdLEGP
— Fatim Diggs (@FatimDiggs) May 19, 2022

By the way, according to the 247Sports Web site, Syracuse football coaches have offered scholarships to at least six other 2024 players who also suit up at the edge position.

Syracuse football has entered the recruitment of four-star Fatim Diggs.

Given that he’s a sophomore and a member of the 2024 class, Diggs’ recruiting process likely has a way to go.

That being said, he does have a handful of other early offers, from teams such as Virginia, Boston College, Penn State, Ole Miss, West Virginia, Temple and Long Island University, according to Diggs’ Twitter account and recruiting services.

From what I can tell, Diggs appears to be one of the best defensive ends nationwide in the 2024 cycle.

The 247Sports recruiting service rates him as four stars, while both On3 and the On3 Consensus place Diggs as three stars.

16344800168405280.jpg

Ta'Ron Haile Gets Closer Look at Syracuse (SI; McAllister)

One of the top wideouts in the Northeast in the 2024 class is Millville (NJ) High standout Ta'Ron Haile. The 6-0, 170 pounder took an unofficial visit to Syracuse last week.

"It was good," Haile said. "The coaches were amazing. They took care of me. They took me on a tour of the facility and I took pictures. Then we went around the campus. It was a really good visit. It was fun. I liked it a lot."

The tour of the campus and facilities was one of the highlights of the trip.

"It was a nice experience," Haile said. "Everything looked amazing. I liked the field and how they honored their players. The coaching was was cool to converse with. It was nice to actually get a feel of the place. Definitely wouldn't mind visiting again."

In addition, spending time with the Orange coaching staff was an important aspect of the visit.

"Coach (Khalil) Ahmad, coach (Deon) Maddox and coach (Dino) Babers," Haile said. "It was fun hanging with them and getting to see everything."

Syracuse Recruiting Roundup: Josh Richards, Jalil Smith, Ta'Ron Haile - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

As we approach the beginning of summer, there’s plenty of recruiting news in the Syracuse football world, so let’s get right to it…

We start with New Jersey, with Syracuse priority target Josh Richards. The 2023 East Orange (NJ) Campus wide receiver has drawn plenty of interest from high majors, including the Orange. He will be taking an official visit to Syracuse on the weekend of June 24, according to Sports Illustrated’s Mike McAllister. He also previously visited in March for Junior Day and was also on campus in April. He also holds offers from Wake Forest, Maryland and Connecticut, among others.

That happens to be the same weekend that three other recruits will be visiting the Orange. One of those recruits is the already committed 2023 quarterback LaNorris Sellers, according to 247 Sports’ Stephen Bailey. The others include 2023 St. Peters (NJ) Prep offensive lineman Eric King and 2023 Tampa Bay (Fla.) Tech defensive lineman Antonio Camon, who are both three star prospects.

The weekend before (June 17), will be a busy one as well for Syracuse, as they will host three of the top 2023 New York prospects. Syracuse tight end commit David Clement from Christian Brothers (NY) Academy tweeted he will be taking his official visit that weekend, and he will be joined by Abraham (NY) Lincoln defensive lineman Jalil Smith and three star linebacker Zyian Moultrie-Goddard from Iona (NY) Preparatory School.

Keeping with New York prospects, another visitor to pay attention to is 2023 Shenendehowa (NY) High defensive lineman Cody Smith. He was invited to Syracuse’s Elite Camp, and tweeted will be on campus on June 4.

There are two other 2024 New Jersey prospects I wanted to highlight. The first is Woodrow (NJ) Wilson defensive lineman Fatim Diggs, who tweeted that he picked up a Syracuse offer. He’s rated four stars by 247 Sports and holds a slew of offers that include Ole Miss, Penn State, Virginia and West Virginia.

Syracuse football: what might the ACC 3-5-5 schedule options look like (TNIAAM; Wall, Ostrowski & Haller)

We are back with more Syracuse Orange football schedule talk. Now that the NCAA has cleared the way for conferences to change how they determine championship game participants, all signs point towards the ACC moving to eliminate divisions and head to a 3-5-5 schedule model-possibly as early as 2023.

NCAA Division I Council relaxes restrictions for FBS football conference championship games, allowing conferences to determine their championship game participants with or without divisions
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) May 18, 2022
So we came up with our guesses as to how a 3-5-5 model might look for the Orange. It will be interesting to see how the final model looks, but more interesting might be the process for revising the permanent rivals and the rotational groups.

Kevin:

Three permanent rivals: Boston College, Pitt, Florida State

Group A: Clemson, NC State, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest

Group B: Miami, UNC, Virginia Tech, Duke, Louisville

Rationale: Syracuse, BC and Pitt seemed locked together and since FSU’s AD said he wants to have BC or Syracuse I think he’ll get his wish. It seems that BC and Miami will push to be paired so the Orange will get the Seminoles to play. As far as the groups go, I’d suspect that the push will be to try and find competitive and travel balance so I tried to pair teams using that methodology. You would hope that Syracuse would push to have Clemson and Miami in opposite scheduled to come to the Dome in years when the Orange travel to FSU...but we’ll see how it shakes out.

Syracuse Football: How much does the color Orange matter to ‘Cuse fans? (itlh; Fiello)

Over the years, there have been new Syracuse jerseys, whiteouts for fans and field/Dome renovations where the color orange was an issue for some fans. Recently it was revealed that they were installing new seats in the now-named JMA Wireless Dome that came with armrests and cup holders. It was announced that those seats would be blue, and some fans weren’t supportive of the idea.

Many voiced displeasure that they were not orange. Some then said they were overreacting and should be happy it’s no longer metal benches. I can see both sides and I’m never ungrateful for new and improved things. I also don’t think it’s fair to completely dismiss the voices that shared those concerns. And I understand also sometimes it feels like some fans are ungrateful and constantly critical but that doesn’t mean sometimes there can’t be validity to the complaints. Let me discuss why I feel some may have valid points, respectfully.

When it comes to Syracuse football and other ‘Cuse teams, the color Orange matters to me.

Let’s start off with a personal take. I’m Orange Chuck on social media because the team is called the Syracuse ORANGE. I have an orange car, and I wear orange clothing (and not just Syracuse Orange merch). I’m a fan of the color orange because it represents the team that I love. If Syracuse’s school color was still light pink and they were called something different, I’d not embrace the color as much as I do. I think orange is a bright and beautiful color so I happily accept it as part of who I am. Heck, I sometimes wonder why more houses, cars and businesses in the area don’t use the color myself.

ACC is oozing QB talent, Miami is rising, and will Clemson be back on top? ACC Playoff Preview (cleveland.com; podcast)

The College Football Survivor Show is starting to break down the major college football conferences to find the best players and best teams with an eye toward the 2022 College Football Playoff. First up is the ACC, as Doug Lesmerises and Shehan Jeyarajah are joined by Nate Mink of Syracuse.com to discuss everything about the conference.

These questions will be answered about the ACC:

• Most likely playoff team
  • Playoff dark horse
  • Best Heisman candidate
  • Dark horse Heisman candidate
  • Most important game for the playoff race
  • Team most likely to be a playoff spoiler
  • Team on the rise and in the playoff race 5 years from now
  • Predicting whether the ACC will have a playoff team or not

Kelly Gramlich and Eric Mac Lain talk ACC football - Gramlich and Mac Lain )maclainandgramlich.com; podcast)

One of the best humans in the business joins Mac & Kelly this week to discuss playing basketball at Notre Dame, his journey to ESPN, being married to a fellow ESPNer (Shae Cornette) and previews the 2022 ACC football season!

ACC Football Road Trip: Virginia Tech | Watch ESPN (ESPN; road trip to Blacksburg)

ACC Football Road Trip: Virginia Tech

ACC Football Road Trip: North Carolina | Watch ESPN (road trip to Chapel Hill)

ACC Football Road Trip: North Carolina

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2022/05/21/acc-should-consider-conference-wide-nil-agreements/ (ASD; JFann)

Since are no rules to NIL, and it’s a chaotic free for all, it’s time for the ACC to think outside box to the benefit of its members.

Why can’t the ACC form conference-wide NIL agreements and how could this work?

The ACC has corporate sponsorship deals for events and product advertisements for ACC Network.

Here is what to consider.

1. ACC Athletes are still completely free to form their agreements. You can’t touch that.
  2. The ACC already has revenue agreements for post-season events and TV revenue. Create NIL agreements with corporate sponsors and split the revenue evenly among the ACC schools like you do bowls, the NCAA Tournament, and TV revenue.
  3. Leave it to the ACC schools, and athletes to negotiate which athletes to take part. For example, if New York Life (ACC Tournament sponsor provides – $2 Million for the ACC. Each ACC school would get $130K. A Duke NIL advisory group could negotiate with Paulo Banchero to promote New York Life, or they could split it among their basketball program evenly.
  4. Notre Dame couldn’t get a full share because their football team is independent.
  5. Are we worried about certain athletes getting more than their teammates? That doesn’t matter right now, does it? Though if I were a school I’d probably work to make a fairly even distribution among a team.
  6. The ACC could be the first conference to entertain this possibility, and ACC schools slow to manage NIL dynamics now have something they can offer recruits.
  7. There isn’t a single brand in college sports, that’s bigger than an actual power 5 conference when it comes to negotiating power.
  8. You can do this by sport possibly. Maybe a sponsor doesn’t want to pay the dollars for a football team, but is willing to create agreements for baseball/softball in the postseason because the conference could have nearly 20 teams participating in those post-season events.
  9. How far can you take this? The ACC has rights deals with ESPN, you may be able to extend to their sponsors and their commercials – though ESPN that could muddy the waters just a little too much between ESPN and athletes. You probably want to stick largely with direct conference to sponsor negotiations.
  10. What about state laws? I think enough ACC states are freely allowing this to start the discussion – though that has to be considered.

2020-21 P5 Payouts (RX; HM)​

2020-21 P5 Payouts​

Now that we have the numbers for the 2020-21 fiscal year, let's dive a little deeper...

Total revenue, by conference.​

Conf.FY21graph
SEC$833M|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
B1G$679.8M||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
ACC$578.3M||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
XII$356M||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Pac12$343.5M||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

In terms of total dollars, the ACC was the clear #3 conference for fiscal 2021.

Change, year-to-year.​

Conf.
Change, FY20 vs FY21​
SECup $105M$$$$$$$$$$
B1Gdn $89M
$$$$$$$$$​
ACCup $82M$$$$$$$$
XIIdn $53M
$$$$$​
Pac12dn $190M
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$​

Ranking 2022 ACC Head FB Coaches (RX; HM)

Ranking 2022 ACC Head FB Coaches

From CBS Sports: Ranking the Top 25 Power Five Football Coaches...

Here is their Top 25, along with their comments for ACC schools and their rank for ACC schools outside the top 25:

1 Alabama, Nick Saban
2 Georgia, Kirby Smart
3 Clemson, Dabo Swinney: This is the worst ranking of the year, and it's nothing but recency bias. There are two coaches in the sport today who have won multiple national titles, and Swinney is one of them. He's won two at Clemson, but last season, in what's considered a "down year" by the standards Swinney himself set, the Tigers "only" won 10 games and failed to win the ACC. Nevermind that it was the 11th straight season Swinney's Clemson team won 10+ games or the first time they'd failed to reach the College Football Playoff since 2014. I don't mean this as disrespect to Smart, who took Swinney's spot at No. 2, but this is a failure by my fellow panelists. 2021 rank: 2 (-1)
4 USC, Lincoln Riley
5 Texas A&M, Jimbo Fisher
6 Ohio State, Ryan Day
7 LSU, Brian Kelly
8 Utah, Kyle Whittingham
9 Michigan, Jim Harbaugh
10 Oklahoma St., Mike Gundy
11 Baylor, Dave Aranda
12 Iowa St., Matt Campbell
13 Iowa, Kirk Ferentz
14 Wisconsin, Paul Chryst
15 Penn State, James Franklin
16 Kentucky, Mark Stoops
17 Wake Forest, Dave Clawson: Finally! All Clawson did to finally convince the rest of our voters that he was worthy of being ranked in the top 25 was win 11 games at freakin' Wake Forest. Clawson has been exceeding expectations in Winston-Salem for years, but he won the Atlantic last season and led the Deacs to a Gator Bowl. The division title was Wake's first 2006, which is also the last time the Deacons won 11 games and finished a season ranked in the top 25. 2021 rank: 28 (+11)
18 Ole Miss, Lane Kiffin
19 Miami (FL), Mario Cristobal: I was expecting Cristobal to get a mini-Miami bump in the rankings, but I guess he's being punished for only winning the Pac-12 North instead of his third consecutive Pac-12 title. Cristobal turned the Ducks into the West Coast's most fearsome powerhouse, and now he returns home to Miami. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if he wins multiple ACC titles like he did Pac-12 titles, he'll be ranked a lot higher than this. 2021 rank: 16 (-3)
20 North Carolina, Mack Brown: Mack nearly cracked the top 10 last season after leading North Carolina to the Orange Bowl, but the 2021 season was a disappointment. The Heels finished 6-7 and went 3-5 in the ACC. While Brown is one of the few active coaches with a national title to his name, 2005 is a long time ago in the minds of our voters. Plus, since the 2010 season at Texas, Brown's teams have gone 51-38. That's good enough to get you ranked here, but you're not going to sniff the top 10 with a record like that. 2021 rank: 12 (-8)
21 Northwestern, Pat Fitzgerald
22 Arkansas, Sam Pittman
23 Minnesota, P.J. Fleck
24 Michigan St., Mel Tucker
25 NC State, Dave Doeren: It's been a slow, steady climb for Doeren in our rankings. Some might say it's been too slow. He'd built momentum following consecutive nine-win seasons in 2017 and 2018, but a 4-8 record in 2019 was a setback. Now, he's gone 18-7 the last two seasons and turned NC State into one of the more formidable programs in the ACC. His reward is finally cracking the top 25. 2021 rank: 36 (+11)
That's 5 of the Top 25, or 20% of the best football coaches in the P5 in the ACC. What about the other 10 ACC schools?

THE REST OF THE ACC COACHES:

27 Pittsburgh, Pat Narduzzi
34 Boston College, Jeff Hafley
43 Louisville, Scott Satterfield
47 Florida State, Mike Norvell
49 Notre Dame, Marcus Freeman
56 Syracuse, Dino Babers
58 Georgia Tech, Geoff Collins
60 Virginia, Tony Elliott
64 Duke, Mike Elko
65 Virginia Tech, Brent Pry

Early 2022 GameDay Guesses (RX; HM)

Early 2022 GameDay Guesses

We've gotten one Gameday call so far: Notre Dame vs. Ohio State (congrats, Big Game Boomer!). Here are the rest of his picks, along with CFB Home and some others I dug up myself...
It's almost become a cottage industry around College Football Gameday.

Let's start with BGB's predictions:

College Gameday Location Predictions For 2022 pic.twitter.com/WwBiofJAC0
— Big Game Boomer (@BigGameBoomer) May 3, 2022
WkCFB Home PredictionBig Game BoomerACC Possibilities*
0NebraskaN'westernIllinoisWyomingn/a
1GeorgiaOregonOhio StateNotre Damen/a
2BYUBaylorTexasAlabamaTennesseePitt
3NebraskaOklahomaAuburnPenn StateMiamiTexas A&M
4SMUTCUArkansasTexas AMClemsonWake Forest
5ClemsonNC StateIowaMichiganVa TechUNC
6AlabamaTexas AMOklahomaTexasUNCMiami
7UtahUSCTennesseeAlabamaClemsonFlorida St
8Texas StWeber StOregonUCLAn/a
9TennesseeKentuckyMichiganMichigan StPittUNC
10Notre DameClemsonNC StateWake ForestFlorida StMiami
11MarshallApp StateIowaWisconsinLouisvilleClemson
12OregonUtahOklahomaOkla. StateMiamiClemson
13USCNotre DameClemsonS. CarolinaPittMiami
14AlabamaGeorgiaAlabamaTennesseeClemsonMiami
15ArmyNavyArmyNavy

Other

OYG7QCONT5FFDFSND225AR3NIY.jpg

Meier's Creek won Saturday's Battle of the Wings on Saturday. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Battle of the Wings 2022: Newcomer wins Inner Harbor cook-off (video) (PS; Miller)

Only in Upstate New York would we have an outdoor festival dedicated to chicken wings. And only in Syracuse would nearly 10,000 people show up for the season’s first such gathering to sample the flats and drums competing to be this year’s wing king picked by a panel of so-called experts.

Ten bars, restaurants and caterers squared off in the Battle of the Wings on Saturday afternoon in Syracuse’s Inner Harbor. Meier’s Creek Brewing Co., the taproom that opened in January, took first place. The Wildcat in Camillus and Home Team Pub in Liverpool tied for second place.

Among the 13 wing judges were former Syracuse University athletes Dan Conley and Preston Shumpert, Syracuse City Court Judge James Cecile, self-proclaimed wing king Mike Zeimann of Swallow’s Tavern, scrap metal tycoon and philanthropist Adam Weitsman, Glazed & Confused’s Paul Valenti, Onondaga County Comptroller Marty Masterpole and syracuse.com food writer Charlie Miller. Weitsman, by the way, is a vegetarian, so he was just judging presentation and the sauces.

Last edited: