Forget talking about the problems...what’s the answer? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Forget talking about the problems...what’s the answer?

Exactly how many plays did Syracuse play a two deep, hard corner look with the Mike backer taking a deep zone drop yesterday? Seriously, go back and watch the tape and honestly post the answer. Either you don’t know or you have some sort of irrational axe to grind.

Because what I described above is the Tampa 2 base defense that may run a few subtle variations off of it. That’s isn’t our defense and you know it.

We’ve played a lot of man with a single high safety this year, and run our blitz scheme out of a three deep look - an awful lot like the previous regime.

As to your blow out dig, how many times were we blown out the last few years when Steven was here? Plenty. We’ve been blown out from start to finish one time time this year.

The narrative really should be what has happened to the offense which has scored 13 points in the last 6 quarters.
That is what I was saying in my post. The last 2 games we haev played almost exclusively zone in the secondary and middle of the field. This is totally personnel related. Current safeties can't play man as they are not talented enough or fast enough.

Losing both Martin and Cordy was the nail in the coffin for the secondary. As soon as we went zone the bed-S&*tting started.

Mostly in the defensive backfield we played 1 high safety, there were very few Tampa 2 looks at all, maybe 5-6 plays out of 80.

Reactions: CIL
That is what I was saying in my post. The last 2 games we haev played almost exclusively zone in the secondary and middle of the field. This is totally personnel related. Current safeties can't play man as they are not talented enough or fast enough.

Losing both Martin and Cordy was the nail in the coffin for the secondary. As soon as we went zone the bed-S&*tting started.

Mostly in the defensive backfield we played 1 high safety, there were very few Tampa 2 looks at all, maybe 5-6 plays out of 80.
It's a zone defense without the personnel to run it adequately. Switch to a nickel or dime with 5-6 DBs to help out a least a little, and lean on the DL to control the LOS against the run.

We sure as sht were. Concerning the "only" blowout, it's been postulated that the reason for this is simply because the QBs faced, for the most part, weren't on par with the likes of WF and UL. By the way, Wake Forest WAS a blowout; can't ignore that craptastic second half.

Zone does not equal Tampa 2. Most of the game we played 3 deep. Why don’t you just stare your preference that you like man defense then? But remember, all zone defenses aren’t the Tampa 2. That’s like calling a forward pass an air raid offense.

By the way, I must have missed you after the Clemson game. Funny that you are only making your way back now...

Yup. Williams is a LB in a safeties body. He was in position take make a play, if not an INT on the TD he gave up.

Scoop has his arm in a damn sling essentially- really tough for him to be as effective as well. Folks tend to forget these things.

Yeah. Abysmal D .

Even if we debate scheme, im pretty sure, we can all agree that quality depth, and an uptick in talent is part of the answer.

2 great qb's have definitely pinpointed that. Not too many folks pointing at D scheme, before wf.

Recruiting, depth, time. I think the scheme debate will be far more relevant then.

For the millionth time we don’t play a Tampa 2 defense. I’m not sure you really watched the game, but if so, more power to you. I know it fits some odd narrative you a running in your own head, but exactly how many plays did we run cover 2 against UL yesterday? The answer is you don’t know.

Our defense is a 4-3 base defense woth multiple coverages and looks. That’s it folks. It’s isnt any different than most other defenses out there. We run a lot of man coverages this year, but have been playing more 3 deep and zone defenses due the injuries we’ve seen in the secondary.

What we are seeing right now are depth issues at the program rearing it’s ugly head. Jordan Martin is a good football player, but he was a corner at Toledo last year. He shouldn’t be that big of a difference maker in our secondary but he was. Cordy is a big deal to us. Let’s not mention that Franklin and Bennett are playing banged up and Scoop is playing with his arm in a massive brace.

Offensively, we just can’t move the ball with out Eric behind center. It’s that simple. His mobility helps mask a few deficiencies with the run game, but he also is a pretty darn good quarterback as we are painfully finding out. It’s sad that we don’t have a kid that can move the chains consistently behind him available to us right now. If I’m the staff, I’m bringing someone in this class just in case Tommy isn’t the guy.

Shoot, you take away two starting safeties, starting QB, and starting RB away from most programs and they are going to struggle. The issue is exacerbated with Dino because he isn’t going to change. He’s not going to try and lose 27-14. He’s rather loose by 40 using his system than doing anything else. In his opinion, there aren’t style points in losses.

The answer is this: there are players on this team that probably aren’t P5 material. Dino can’t wave a magic wand and make them diagnose plays faster or be able to run down the best player in college football from behind (Lamar is the best hands down). IMO, he should have gone the Marrone route and scorched the roster - brought in JUCOs and transfers to band aid things for a bit until the roster was settled.

What we are seeing are kids out there that are just a step behind. I think Dino is seeing this, and wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more transfers and JUCOs added this offseason than originally thought.
Mic drop...

LOL. Trust Babers. Only thing for me is to re-evaluate the defense. And I would think DB will

It's a zone defense without the personnel to run it adequately. Switch to a nickel or dime with 5-6 DBs to help out a least a little, and lean on the DL to control the LOS against the run.

We don’t have 6 healthy DB’s. That’s the point. We could maybe get an extra DB if you had some eligibility left.

But, ending up 4-8, UL scoring more points on SU than they did on Murray State, and allowing WF to put up 40+ in one half is. And, yes, I said 4-8 because I don't HOPE Ward's D will stop BC, at all.

Fixed.

He hates the scheme, and thinks it will continue to suck. I don't see the problem with that.
But he’s not even sure what scheme he hates. Do I like running zones with my corners 10-15 yards back every play? No. But it’s the personnel spot we’re in right now. No different than complaining about how bad th offense has been without Dungey..,

If you know football it is obvious that for the most part we do line up in the Tampa 2. We have since the injuries been playing zone. That is a fact.
My point is when the zone is getting destroyed why did Ward stick with it?
The personnel excuse makes sense at the beginning of the game but why not switch out of it and at a minimum try to adjust when your base scheme for any particular game is getting hammered? For me that is the issue.

Sorry i meant that we DO NOT line up in the Tampa 2.

What's the delta from the first 9 games and the last two?

The GUYS ON THE FIELD!!!

Either those not playing or those playing with reduced mobility.

idiots with their quit or no effort. The team is a shell.

There's your freaking answer.

If you know football it is obvious that for the most part we do line up in the Tampa 2. We have since the injuries been playing zone. That is a fact.
My point is when the zone is getting destroyed why did Ward stick with it?
The personnel excuse makes sense at the beginning of the game but why not switch out of it and at a minimum try to adjust when your base scheme for any particular game is getting hammered? For me that is the issue.

If you know football you know there is no such thing as “lining up in the Tampa 2”. My lord.

Repeat after me - the Tampa 2 is not a formation (or “look” on defense). The Tampa 2 is a coverage where the two safeties are responsible for the deep halves of the field and corners are responsible for the flats of their respective sides. Unlike a traditional cover 2, the MLB in the Tampa 2 takes a much deeper drop in the middle of the field to try and take the post away from soft spot of the two deep zone. WE RARELY RUN THIS, if ever.

There has to be more to this discussion than “I just don’t like it” or “it doesn’t work”. Have we thought about why it wouldn’t work or what contributes to said factors?

I understand the frustration of getting hammered for 6 straight quarters. We ran a bunch of man coverage yesterday as well and got toasted on some QB runs and a few pass plays. That sad part was we didn’t have an answer.

Against Wake we played a bunch of man and got burnt by the running QB and some RPOs. If you don’t think injuries have taken it’s toll to a very thin defensive roster than you’re delusional.

There is a reason we brought in Martin, Robinson, Valdez, Guthrie, Berry and attempted to bring in Williams. We don’t have it back there. Factor in a bunch of kids playing hurt (not at liberty to post) on D and we have a recipe for disaster.

If you know football you know there is no such thing as “lining up in the Tampa 2”. My lord.

Repeat after me - the Tampa 2 is not a formation (or “look” on defense). The Tampa 2 is a coverage where the two safeties are responsible for the deep halves of the field and corners are responsible for the flats of their respective sides. Unlike a traditional cover 2, the MLB in the Tampa 2 takes a much deeper drop in the middle of the field to try and take the post away from soft spot of the two deep zone. WE RARELY RUN THIS, if ever.

There has to be more to this discussion than “I just don’t like it” or “it doesn’t work”. Have we thought about why it wouldn’t work or what contributes to said factors?

I understand the frustration of getting hammered for 6 straight quarters. We ran a bunch of man coverage yesterday as well and got toasted on some QB runs and a few pass plays. That sad part was we didn’t have an answer.

Against Wake we played a bunch of man and got burnt by the running QB and some RPOs. If you don’t think injuries have taken it’s toll to a very thin defensive roster than you’re delusional.

There is a reason we brought in Martin, Robinson, Valdez, Guthrie, Berry and attempted to bring in Williams. We don’t have it back there. Factor in a bunch of kids playing hurt (not at liberty to post) on D and we have a recipe for disaster.

lets see :
franklin
bennett
slayton
coleman
bradshaw
butler
foster?

He hates the scheme, and thinks it will continue to suck. I don't see the problem with that.

He doesn't know what the scheme is. I see a problem with that.

Our coaches said the word Tampa once, followed by the number 2. So that's what we're doing!

Even though multiple posts in this thread by CIL, chris, others, that actually break down what we were doing on defense.

A disgruntled parent that only shows up here after losses and bashes a defensive scheme after not watching the game, isn't a problem to you? To everyone??

He doesn't know what the scheme is. I see a problem with that.

Our coaches said the word Tampa once, followed by the number 2. So that's what we're doing!

Even though multiple posts in this thread by CIL, chris, others, that actually break down what we were doing on defense.

A disgruntled parent that only shows up here after losses and bashes a defensive scheme after not watching the game, isn't a problem to you? To everyone??
T2 is a helluva lot easier to type than cover 2 zone coverage, or just zone, with a lack of aggressiveness. Whatever. Bottom line is your D gives up too many points all the time. And, for the past two years, it's done so with embarrassing regularity.

Really, it's simple.

Once the starters went down to injury in the secondary we don't have the personnel to run the same schemes that we ran for games 1-8 which was a very good defense if I remember correctly.

Really, it's simple.

Once the starters went down to injury in the secondary we don't have the personnel to run the same schemes that we ran for games 1-8 which was a very good defense if I remember correctly.
100%. I really don't care what name you call it.
The answer is depth, recruiting, time. And perhaps there is a way to utilize existing talent better, until then.

This is such a BS post. For the millionth time we don’t play a Tampa 2 defense. I’m not sure you really watched the game, but if so, more power to you. I know it fits some odd narrative you a running in your own head, but exactly how many plays did we run cover 2 against UL yesterday? The answer is you don’t know.

Our defense is a 4-3 base defense woth multiple coverages and looks. That’s it folks. It’s isnt any different than most other defenses out there. We run a lot of man coverages this year, but have been playing more 3 deep and zone defenses due the injuries we’ve seen in the secondary.

What we are seeing right now are depth issues at the program rearing it’s ugly head. Jordan Martin is a good football player, but he was a corner at Toledo last year. He shouldn’t be that big of a difference maker in our secondary but he was. Cordy is a big deal to us. Let’s not mention that Franklin and Bennett are playing banged up and Scoop is playing with his arm in a massive brace.

Offensively, we just can’t move the ball with out Eric behind center. It’s that simple. His mobility helps mask a few deficiencies with the run game, but he also is a pretty darn good quarterback as we are painfully finding out. It’s sad that we don’t have a kid that can move the chains consistently behind him available to us right now. If I’m the staff, I’m bringing someone in this class just in case Tommy isn’t the guy.

Shoot, you take away two starting safeties, starting QB, and starting RB away from most programs and they are going to struggle. The issue is exacerbated with Dino because he isn’t going to change. He’s not going to try and lose 27-14. He’s rather loose by 40 using his system than doing anything else. In his opinion, there aren’t style points in losses.

The answer is this: there are players on this team that probably aren’t P5 material. Dino can’t wave a magic wand and make them diagnose plays faster or be able to run down the best player in college football from behind (Lamar is the best hands down). IMO, he should have gone the Marrone route and scorched the roster - brought in JUCOs and transfers to band aid things for a bit until the roster was settled.

What we are seeing are kids out there that are just a step behind. I think Dino is seeing this, and wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more transfers and JUCOs added this offseason than originally thought.
Man crush post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom