Forty Seventh Year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Forty Seventh Year

October 8, 1988 was my first game. That's 26 years ago. Wow. They played and beat Rutgers 34-20. I became a true fan of the team in 1992 against Miami. The Gedney game. Still guts me when I think about it.

of watching SU Football.

Hard to believe because I'm so damn young!!

I'm not sure I have ever been this excited about the team and the program.

We are long, big and athletic and may finally have a QB that can bring us the dual threat I know I have been hoping for since 1999.

Can't wait to see all of you and 45,000 in two days!
My first full season as a Syracuse fan was 1967. Larry Csonka's senior year. I was eleven. My first game I went to at Archbold was Penn State in 1971.

Also about my 47th. Saw 2 or 3 games in Archbold Stadium. Remember seeing Czonka running up the middle for what seemed like 6-8 yds every play. Could not understand how we could lose to a West Virginia team - what is a West Virginia!?

of watching SU Football.

Hard to believe because I'm so damn young!!

I'm not sure I have ever been this excited about the team and the program.

We are long, big and athletic and may finally have a QB that can bring us the dual threat I know I have been hoping for since 1999.

Can't wait to see all of you and 45,000 in two days!

There ought to be place to save the threads like this where the posters tells us something about their backgrounds.

anomander said:
Much respect for sticking with the program when we have been at our absolute worst. 87 was my 1st year following the team for both Cuse FB and BB (great year to start!!). Owens ran that 2 point conversion in about 10 yards in front of me!!

Almost a perfect day. As big as that game was, me and 5 others went to Springfield first to see the basketball team vs UNC in the tip off classic. Take responsibility for that loss. We sat front row under the basket and in the first half rode Lebo real hard. He had just been selected for some USA team over Douglas (by Thompson I think). We were in his case the whole half and then at halftime because Sherm was getting the best of him. He chewed us up that second half. Drove 85mph back and got to the football game at halftime. Saw all the great stuff in the second half. Still pissed we lost that basketball game tho.

I am 48 and have been following them my whole life well as long as I can remember at least. I remember as a kid listening to the SU football games on the radio with my father. One of my personal SU favorite moment was going to the last game at Archbold Stadium I still have a piece of the orange wooden railing. The Michael Owens 2 point conversion was the biggest SU football moment I ever witnessed and probably the loudest the dome has ever been. SU sports make the dreary winters in this town almost tolerable! Go Cuse!

My son went to his first game at 3 months old. And has been to at least two home games a year ever since. So, 28 yrs for him

I graduated from college in 1969. Spent my first twelve years in Minoa, NY. Dad went to SU and received a doctorate from SU. Take away my first five years when I probably didn't care, I've bee an SU fan for some sixty-three years, and fortunately, still counting. Thank goodness, that real sports is coming back into play. Summer sports bore the hell out of me. Hell, I'm psyched for the Giants and Jets preseason games tonight even though the starters won't play more than one or two series of downs. Maybe I'll get to see Nassib enjoy some extended playing time. I'm impressed to see how he is developing. I'm also rooting for the WV Jet to have a good year, as I back both NY teams.

26 years old and I can honestly say this is probably my 20th year of remembering Syracuse football. First one in my family born out of Upsate (Utica-Rome area) and spent my whole life in Omaha, Nebraska so of course it would have been easy for me to be a Nebraska fan and have 3 National Championships already but nooooooooooo my dad, uncle, and grandfather made sure I watched every Syracuse game I could growing up and told me Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little stories and I was hooked instantly.

First game in person was the 97 Fiesta Bowl and have traveled to every game within 10 hours of Omaha since (NW x2, Mizzou, Iowa, Minny) and flew back to NYC for the USC game. Only problem is I have never been inside the Dome, we had a family reunion 3 years ago in Rome but it was during fan fest and we couldn't get in the Dome.

Along with this I was also taught to hate everything red and to politely remind any husker fan who gives me for wearing Cuse gear in Omaha that we own a 6-5 record against them and knocked them off in 84. LGO

I don't think we'll ever be back to that standard. Maybe we will, hopefully we will, but I've sort of accepted it as an unfortunate reality. Landscape is so much different now. More competitors, both in our region, and entering our region from the outside.

I think it's going to be a normally 6-8 win program in a 12 game regular season. Which, considering how the administration viewed the program in the early 00s, and the GRob disaster that ensued, doesn't sound too terrible.

Hopefully you avoid the valley season of 4-5 wins, and then when things align right (schedule, experience), you get the peak of the double digit win season. 2012 could have been that season.

That description of the program goes way back to the 1990s.

That is how the administration viewed the SU Football horizon.

That description of the program goes way back to the 1990s.

That is how the administration viewed the SU Football horizon.

Which seems so short sighted for that particular timeframe. I mean, they had no Rutgers to contend with at all. No UConn (which for the most part should go away again). Pitt completely fell apart and tried to bring back Johnny Majors to save it, which made it worse. BC made a terrible hire when Coughlin left, which set them back in the mid to late 90s. Even WVU could never sustain success, they would build for a run every 5 years, and be average to below average in between.

That was the time to think big. And continue to invest to do so.

Fan since birth. I can't remember a time when I wasn't listening to Doug Logan and Jim Ridlon/Red Parton on the radio in the as a kid. I remember the name Joel Marriness (SP) but I don't ever remembering listening to him. My first game was with my Mom and it was the last game at Archibold. I don't remember much except that Navy was supposed to roll but Cuse won AND the people with the chainsaws tearing up the place afterwards. I had a green piece of bench for the longest time but I think my parents threw it out some years later!

Thanks for the info - it didn't help my memory much but I do remember being at a BU game when one of their players was hurt and I think died.
Dad was a coach with the team before Ben and he always got a press box pass. He sat with Mom and I got to sit in the press box. I remember trying to drink the coffee and reading the stat sheets they passed out. As a 10 +/- year old this was exciting stuff. In short I've been a fan all 71 of my years and have attended games in person for over 60.

Which seems so short sighted for that particular timeframe. I mean, they had no Rutgers to contend with at all. No UConn (which for the most part should go away again). Pitt completely fell apart and tried to bring back Johnny Majors to save it, which made it worse. BC made a terrible hire when Coughlin left, which set them back in the mid to late 90s. Even WVU could never sustain success, they would build for a run every 5 years, and be average to below average in between.

That was the time to think big. And continue to invest to do so.

It was not short sighted at all.

They had no money!

They were running a shoe string operation.

They figured that with value recruiting and precise and intense preparation - P and D going at it 24 hours per day - they could hover around the top 20 or 25 and perhaps sneak into the top ten every once in awhile.

And that was not good enough for many who mistakenly figured that we had great talent up and down the roster, great facilities and endless money.

The "get a life" comment probably reflected the frustration that those who really knew developed with those vocal elements of the fan base.

I do agree that the administration did not reinvest - it took Jake's money and used it for other general purposes.

And yes, by the late 1990s it was too late - the money game and facility game had been lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom