Fran Brown Coaching Staff | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown Coaching Staff

BuffZone confirmed through multiple sources that edge coach Nick Williams is leaving the program. According to a source, Williams is leaving the Buffs to join the staff at Syracuse.

The 33-year-old Williams joined Coach Prime's staff and quickly became one of the nation's best assistant coaches and recruiters. The Peach State native was instrumental in guiding the Buffs' defensive core this season. He was also the lead recruiter for many of the top recruits, who recently decommitted from the program.
I would be careful about glorifying any of the Colorado defensive coaches. They finished at #126 out of 130 teams. Having said that I’m not sure what an edge coach does (defensive end coach?) and how much his coaching contributed to their dismal performance.

Kevin Coyle is welcome back anytime
I haven't read the rest of this thread yet so not sure if it has been mentioned already, but wonder if he was thinking about adding him if/when we lose DC Elijah to a HC job. Coyle to slide in as the new DC. Being a DC at Fresno St. now that seems to make sense. Not sure if adding Coyle as a position coach makes sense.

Last edited:
I haven't read the rest of this thread yet so not sure if it has been mentioned already, but wonder if he was thinking about adding him if/when we lose DC Eli to a HC job. Coyle to slide in as the new DC. Being a DC at Fresno St. now that seems to make sense. Not sure if adding Coyle as a position coach makes sense.
I would bet position coach / AHC something like that. I don’t get the impression Fran was dropping name he was going to move on years from now.

I would be careful about glorifying any of the Colorado defensive coaches. They finished at #126 out of 130 teams. Having said that I’m not sure what an edge coach does (defensive end coach?) and how much his coaching contributed to their dismal performance.
They coach the pass rushers. So DEs in a 4-3 or OLBs in a 3-4 defense. So Colorado ranked 44th in sacks. Not horrible. They ranked higher than Syracuse... we ranked 57th. So I wouldn't say their edge rushers were the reason their defense was bad.

They ranked 106th in run defense. So not sure of that is a reflection on Williams. It could be the DTs, could be the Linebackers. Or could be that his edge rushers failed to set the edge on running plays and they were just going for big sacks.

I would bet position coach / AHC something like that. I don’t get the impression Fran was dropping name he was going to move on years from now.
I could see that. Certainly possible after i just looked at his coaching history a little more in depth. I was thinking his name was brought up because of past Syracuse ties and he just maybe threw that in there as thats maybe what came to his head. He speaks what was on his mind.

I haven't read the rest of this thread yet so not sure if it has been mentioned already, but wonder if he was thinking about adding him if/when we lose DC Eli to a HC job. Coyle to slide in as the new DC. Being a DC at Fresno St. now that seems to make sense. Not sure if adding Coyle as a position coach makes sense.
Good questions. I would say any type of coach with Coyle’s experience is a benefit to this staff

They coach the pass rushers. So DEs in a 4-3 or OLBs in a 3-4 defense. So Colorado ranked 44th in sacks. Not horrible. They ranked higher than Syracuse... we ranked 57th. So I wouldn't say their edge rushers were the reason their defense was bad.

They ranked 106th in run defense. So not sure of that is a reflection on Williams. It could be the DTs, could be the Linebackers. Or could be that his edge rushers failed to set the edge on running plays and they were just going for big sacks.

They had 27 sacks. We had 26. We were led by a NT and they were led by a LB.

Coyle is 67. He'd be a perfect analyst. Muschamp can take the on-field coaching role and then slide into the DC job. I'm glad we have it all figured out ;-)

IMG_3283.jpeg
The new wall…

So does that mean Dennis Thomas, LaQuint's highschool coach in Millville, NJ and our current Director of Highschool Relations is out?? ... or is he working for Ahmad?

So does that mean Dennis Thomas, LaQuint's highschool coach in Millville, NJ and our current Director of Highschool Relations is out?? ... or is he working for Ahmad?
One has the title of Executive Director of Personnel and Recruiting. The other has the Director of High School Relations title. They're different titles, why would one hire mean the other is out?

Totally possible both stay, one is an executive director of whatever, the other is a director with a specific focus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom