Fran Brown | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately though said talent goes to the highest bidder in a lot of circumstances. Not sure we can ever offer that.
SU is going to focus NIL on keeping core players.

SU is not going to buy players in bidding wars, they are going to get portal guys that are looking for opportunity to play, not get paid.

Keep LQA and Gadsden, get guys like Dave W, Gould, Clark, I Johnson from the portal.

SU is not going to buy players in bidding wars, they are going to get portal guys that are looking for opportunity to play, not get paid.

Keep LQA and Gadsden, get guys like Dave W, Gould, Clark, I Johnson from the portal.

With such a great recruiter we should be able to recruit over our key players.

I disagree fundamentally. We have had enough talent to compete against peer institutions. People have said this is not a "blow it up" situation. Which means we have players. We should have won 8 games this year.

Do we have all of the players? No. But SU football has NEVER, in my 30 years of watching them, had enough players at all levels. Even during he glory years with McNabb, our OL and DL players weren't all that great. We had many holes.
The glory years weren’t McNabb TBH. tail end? Yeah I guess

Precisely my point. We went 6-6 with a chance to win 2 other games without a QB! We had and have talent on the roster.

We came into this season with 8 or 9 guys who had previous starts on the offensive line, and about 10 guys who had seen meaningful playing time on the defensive line, due to all the past injuries. Surely competent line play could be fashioned out of that many experienced players with better coaching. We lost good players in the defensive backfield, but that wasn't really our problem area on this team, was it?

Holy Cross was perennially bad, so Chesney would clearly be more qualified. Jason Candle will probably win the MAC championship. This guy isn't even a coordinator . . . in fact, he's never been a coordinator. Now he's going to be the head coach? We can file that under very risky.

I'm going to give him a chance, but this I think it's fair to be a bit skeptical.

As an aside, I was the leading scorer on a flag football team in college, and I played touch football in law school. Maybe I should have applied? You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, I guess.
Well he was an AHC under Matt Rhule (hell of a coach) for 3 years and a co-DC at Temple one year. So it’s not like he’s only been a position coach.

But yes it’s definitely risky. What will define Wildhack is how he mitigates that risk.

Candle is not going to be able to recruit here and would be lucky to be Dino 2.0.

Big fan of the high level recruiter hire. Let the coordinators coordinate, let Fran bring in the 4 stars

We cannot afford a Top half of P4 OC or DC. Which is why ideally the HC would also be our OC or DC. That way you only have to pay for one. Instead we are hiring a HC who needs both an OC and a DC, and we have no money to spend on them. So how are bottom half Coordinators going to solve Brown's deficiencies?

Also part of our problem on O is having no identity. Which is why hiring a D guy isn't as good of a fit here. We don't need revolving OCs.

I have to bet Deuce Chestnut is regretting his decision to transfer to LSU if Brown becomes the head coach. Feel bad for Deuce.

My guess is he completely whiffed with the other top candidates. Otherwise, this move makes no sense.

That would be a good guess. 3 swings and misses at least.

Brown can be spun as a good hire with a wink and nod, but he's s one hell of a diceroll when the last thing we needed is a big diceroll.

If it's happening, Wildhack must have made peace with the fact he'll have to fall on his sword if it all goes badly wrong.

Big fan of the high level recruiter hire. Let the coordinators coordinate, let Fran bring in the 4 stars

What genius coordinators are going to want to work for a guy with no experience?

Look at Maryland. That's our ceiling. And we aren't smack dab in a solid recruiting area like they are.

This is insanity. Year after year we hear we're a developmental program, we need guys who can coach our guys up, an Xs and Os guy. But our chance to choose a guy comes up and we grab a recruiter.

We're like the dude whose wife sends him to the grocery store with a list of what he needs to get for dinner and no matter what's on the list he comes back with chips and beer.

Being a head coach at any level means you have overseen a program and come in with a baseline of understanding on the ins and outs of it.

Plus, the freaking AD gave criteria that don't even remotely fit to this guy's credentials.

My guess is he completely whiffed with the other top candidates. Otherwise, this move makes no sense.

How do you whiff on Chesney, unless the dalliance with Mullen hurt his feelings.

Do we really need the next Ed O? He didn't last long at Ole Miss or even LSU because recruiting only takes you so far.

With Mullen I felt totally reinvested into SU FB. Brown is a wait and see type of hire.

Really hope Brown doesn't pull a Schiano and start talking National Championships.
If we actually reach the ceiling of “we have top talent, and lack the coaching chops to get over the top” then we are in a much better place than we are now, and are more likely to bring in a guy with top coaching credentials then.

let’s say the top two candidates reach their strength ceiling and weakness ceiling

- Brown brings in top talent, arguably consistent top 3-5 classes in the ACC, buts he’s not a good enough coach to take advantage of it and consistently have us competing for ACC titles, sadly we fall short and are roughly middle of the pack each year.

- Chesney is a program builder and talent developer. He is universally a top 3-5 coach in the ACC and always has us outperforming low recruiting classes (bottom 5 in the ACC) and we consistently end up in the middle of the ACC.

both are positive steps forward from today and we would be happy to be there right now. But if we were in that spot and lost our coach for whatever reason And needed to replace them, which situation has the program in a more attractive location for the next HC hire? one could argue both are essentially the same result, improvement to mid tier ACC play. I wouldn’t make that case

I’d argue Brown does, because the talent is there for a new coach to win with, and Cuse has now cultivated a hotbed in the recruiting fronts and has players excited about joining us.

thats how I’m thinking about it, and I understand why we might be siding with the recruiter and counting on that skill to carry us forwards

Ground up meaning from the recruiting process through the pre-season through the season etc. It was a figure of speech. It's wild what people will glum onto.

I think it's going to be some of both.

If Brown is coming on with a rep to recruit, there's gonna be bags.

Well he was an AHC under Matt Rhule (hell of a coach) for 3 years and a co-DC at Temple one year. So it’s not like he’s only been a position coach.

But yes it’s definitely risky. What will define Wildhack is how he mitigates that risk.

Candle is not going to be able to recruit here and would be lucky to be Dino 2.0.
I'll be honest, I'm not exactly sure what AHC is other than "please don't leave and become a coordinator elsewhere." I missed the co-DC piece. That's on me. He has one year less experience as co-DC, and two years less experience as sole DC than Chris Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom