Francis new podcast | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Francis new podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
But of course it would go to the competence and judgment of the coaching staff that they brought that kid into their system.

yes and no. There is only so much you can learn about a kid during recruitment. And most of these kids know how important contact with coaches and on-campus visits are, so most of the time they are on their best behavior when they are first meeting and talking with their future coaches. There have been multiple times when Jim has gotten a kid on campus and for whatever reason just didn't like him once he got to know him better.

Roberson in particular was such a frustrating player. He puts up record-setting numbers at Duke, plays great in the march to the FF, and just when you expect he'll have a great senior season, totally disappears and has to come off the bench.
The guy sometimes played like a poor man's Dennis Rodman, but the mentality just wasn't there. :bang:Oh Lord

Some thought he would have a "breakout" senior year where he takes his game to the next level and is our best player or something...I just didn't see it. I did think he'd match his junior year or maybe slightly improve on it and be around 10 and 10 again. He just didn't have any offensive skills to go beyond that though. He was a rebounder and an athlete. I don't know why he got so much crap for not being more than that. Some people just can't shoot. He's one of them.

yes and no. There is only so much you can learn about a kid during recruitment. And most of these kids know how important contact with coaches and on-campus visits are, so most of the time they are on their best behavior when they are first meeting and talking with their future coaches. There have been multiple times when Jim has gotten a kid on campus and for whatever reason just didn't like him once he got to know him better.

Tyler Roberson is a perfect example, I think.

He never developed during his four years, despite the fact that I believe he had the ability to be a good to really good ACC player.

Was he ever going to be an NBA guy? Probably not - that's tough to do. But I truly believe had he been coached differently, he could have been much more productive.

Some people don't subscribe to JB's philosophy - and I would venture a guess to say more kids now than ever are like Roberson.

Some thought he would have a "breakout" senior year where he takes his game to the next level and is our best player or something...I just didn't see it. I did think he'd match his junior year or maybe slightly improve on it and be around 10 and 10 again. He just didn't have any offensive skills to go beyond that though. He was a rebounder and an athlete. I don't know why he got so much crap for not being more than that. Some people just can't shoot. He's one of them.
Agreed. But I don't think most fans expected TR to become a points person. He honestly could've emphasized his rebounding, defense, and overall hustle, and maybe find a niche in today's NBA. Draymond Green came outta MSU and gradually went beyond his defense and hustle to develop a good jump shot, adequate offense, and is now an All-Star. Not saying Roberson is Draymond Green, but he was a helluva rebounder when tuned it- some team could've used that skill set. JMHO

Sorry, but for me that's a "no sale."

That falls within the area of competence and judgment of the coaching staff, and I might add due diligence.

It was years ago now, but I was once at a practice with my daughter, up in the stands before the Melo Center remodel to Manley, and there was a recruit visiting. I forget which one. But we were sitting maybe 30-40 feet away when Jim takes the young man up into the bleachers to talk to him privately, presumably to "close the deal".

They're talking for a while, and I hear Boeheim say, with his voice rising a bit "If I hear you mention one-and-done one more time ..." LOL Obviously Jim did not think this kid was on that level, and I remember a few years ago, Jim's pitch used to be "two-and-done" - "Most kids need a couple of years of college to figure out what they're doing and to get ready for the league."

Agreed. But I don't think most fans expected TR to become a points person. He honestly could've emphasized his rebounding, defense, and overall hustle, and maybe find a niche in today's NBA. Draymond Green came outta MSU and gradually went beyond his defense and hustle to develop a good jump shot, adequate offense, and is now an All-Star. Not saying Roberson is Draymond Green, but he was a helluva rebounder when tuned it- some team could've used that skill set. JMHO

Ummm...Draymond avg'd 16 a game and shot 38% from 3 his last year at MSU and was B1G POY. Might want to use a wayyyyyyyy different example.

Otto's World: Otto's World Podcast Episode 25 Bonus OT Edition
Bonus OT edition. Thoughts on the latest about Swider. Preview on the 2019 targets, NBA Draft and free agency.
Scott Hall Security.gif

Thanks so much for that rundown Francis! I'm very interested to see who else visits, what goes on throughout July and then who comes to the Elite Camp.

I'm with you on Dion. I am hoping it works out so that he stays in Miami but also gets his due money wise. Its a good situation for him.

Otto's World: Otto's World Podcast Episode 25 Bonus OT Edition
Bonus OT edition. Thoughts on the latest about Swider. Preview on the 2019 targets, NBA Draft and free agency.
View attachment 101444

Hey, Francis, another great pod. Going back to Episode 25, I find it mildly disturbing that we're looking at JB holding a space open for Buddy at the 2, to share with Elijah Hughes. Man, that sounds very weak. We need a stud. Buddy is currently like a young Andy Rautins without the passing touch. He may mature into a terrific player, but his upside reminds me of somebody who would be playing for Mike Brey at Notre Dame, not in our system.

How are we holding a spot for Buddy? He won't count against the scholarship numbers as he can walk on.

"Holding a spot" in terms of not recruiting an elite 2 guard with too much effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.