Francis new podcast | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Francis new podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyler Roberson is a perfect example, I think.

He never developed during his four years, despite the fact that I believe he had the ability to be a good to really good ACC player.

Was he ever going to be an NBA guy? Probably not - that's tough to do. But I truly believe had he been coached differently, he could have been much more productive.

Some people don't subscribe to JB's philosophy - and I would venture a guess to say more kids now than ever are like Roberson.
I'll play devils advocate and disagree with you on this one. First, I think over the long haul, for every underachiever like TR (or even bust like Kaleb Joseph) there are just as many, if not more, Tyler Lydons -- players that are not elite recruits (top 100 types) but are developed and wind up being very good players (some even first round NBA draft picks). Second, I think JB got what he could out of Roberson .. athletic rebounder/inside garbage guy. We were all waiting for his confidence (and his jump shot) to soar, and it didn't happen. One factor was that during Roberson's last 2 years, JB had a vary undersized, shallow team and was forced to give TR a much bigger role than he was ready for. I don't fault JB for this, or really TR. But TR's confidence suffered and his development flat-lined because he was called upon to do more than he was capable of - hence the frustration on both sides. Overall though, I think Roberson is the exception and the rule has been that JB/Staff have more often been able to develop underrated guys into very productive players.

Last edited:
But wait...what about Jones? :rolling:
CyyamJaW8AAAiU1.gif

Ummm...Draymond avg'd 16 a game and shot 38% from 3 his last year at MSU and was B1G POY. Might want to use a wayyyyyyyy different example.
I stand corrected. Had no idea DG was that kinda scorer at MSU, let alone B1G POY. Still say that TR could've modeled himself as a very poor man's Rodman, and maybe found a way to stick. Oh well...:(:noidea:

I stand corrected. Had no idea DG was that kinda scorer at MSU, let alone B1G POY. Still say that TR could've modeled himself as a very poor man's Rodman, and maybe found a way to stick. Oh well...:(:noidea:
He never played angry enough to be like Rodman (or Green)...and that's what JB was trying to get out of him.

Otto's World: Otto's World Podcast Episode 26
Lots of goodies on this one that I know you guys will really enjoy.
View attachment 105780
Awesome pod! Thanks Francis. Love the "Kansas fans can't mess with Syracuse" line to close it out. Orange Nation definitely rules over most other fan bases when it comes to passion. Only ones who can hold a candle to Cuse are BBN and maybe Indiana or Carolina. Btw, I definitely want Dimon over Nate Roberts, and I think they can get him if the staff puts on the full court press. Any chance they take both if it looks like TT is gone after next season?

Awesome pod! Thanks Francis. Love the "Kansas fans can't mess with Syracuse" line to close it out. Orange Nation definitely rules over most other fan bases when it comes to passion. Only ones who can hold a candle to Cuse are BBN and maybe Indiana or Carolina. Btw, I definitely want Dimon over Nate Roberts, and I think they can get him if the staff puts on the full court press. Any chance they take both if it looks like TT is gone after next season?
Glad you and others enjoyed it. I don't see us landing both since they'll decide in the fall and we won't know the deal with TT until next spring.

I was on vacation last week and my 2 year old phone was suffering heat stroke trying to track down the roaming signal. Anything I did look at was slow as could be. I've been waiting to get to this POD! I will try to listen during my lunch break.

Great stuff Francis. I ended up having to drive at work today so I listened in the car. I liked your point about us getting a bunch of guys who know how to play basketball and have developed skills already in place. Thanks for spending the time to scout Dolezaj, Thorpe and Hughes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.