Frank has a lot of potential | Syracusefan.com

Frank has a lot of potential

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Lots of discussion about bench guys not named Frank Anselem, but he’s the guy who has the best chance at being a great college player in the future.

He has plus athleticism and really plays hard. He also seems really coachable and if Griff can replicate what he did with Edwards we will be in good hands at the 5.

He def has a lot of talent. I hate to say it but I think he needs court time to max his potential…
Which is why me and others have brought up if he can play the 4.

At the 5 his minutes are capped until Jesse is gone - so hopefully through next year.

But we’re weak at the 4. In 1993, he’d be in there at the 4. I realize the game has changed, but could we get him in there 10 mpg at the 4 and 10 at the 5, next year?

He needs to get much stronger. His offensive game only consists of dunks right now.

Frank’s a very good rebounder. I’ve wondered about him at PF too but his current lack of offense (driving ability and short range jumpers) plus his habit of picking up fouls so easily, needs to be worked on. I wonder if it would affect Jesse’s game playing together? Can Frank develop a complimentary game that wouldn’t encroach on Jesse’s offensive space?

Been high on Frank since Day 1. You cant teach his natural gifts. Plus he has that " It" awareness that all great rebounders have. Just knows where the ball is going to be. His upside is huge.

I hope he sticks around. He could drop down a level and start If he wanted. Will he be content getting 10-12mpg behind Jesse next year?

I can’t see their games ever working together where they could play both together other maybe a defensive Possesion at the end of the game

He def has a lot of talent. I hate to say it but I think he needs court time to max his potential…
IMO, players develop better when they are able to get playing time with starters for a selected time period in each game, When you summarily pull a young player when they make a mistake you are undermining their confidence.

I hope he sticks around. He could drop down a level and start If he wanted. Will he be content getting 10-12mpg behind Jesse next year?

I can’t see their games ever working together where they could play both together other maybe a defensive Possesion at the end of the game

I think there is a way to play them both. It would be dependent on Jesse adding that 10-15 foot jumper to his game. On offense Jesse can play the high post, mid post and low post. Frank would fill the role he does as 5 now on offense, and also the role Benny has struggled with as a cutter and running the baseline.

On defense then Frank has the mobility to play the 4. He will get beat on over playing close outs but could provide for an elite rebounding team.

You manage to get Mintz and you put Mintz, Joe and a ready to go athletic wing/scorer from the portal on the court as well. I think this could work, if Benny can't turn the corner or transfers out.

You have Sy, Taylor and Q to work out who your other guards are in the rotation.

Then you hopefully have a solid 3 pt thread off the bench in Bunch. Brown and Carey are unknowns and you find out over the summer what you might get from them.

Overall- we should really find a way to make Frank a key piece of next year.

IMO, players develop better when they are able to get playing time with starters for a selected time period in each game, When you summarily pull a young player when they make a mistake you are undermining their confidence.
So you want him to take minutes from Jesse?

Please point out where I said that!
All players, including the best in the NBA, need breaks during games. Jesse is our #1 guy and Frank is becoming a quality back up!
You certainly implied it so that’s why i asked the question. Jesse needs to be playing 35 mpg for us to be successful. I certainly like Frank getting a few minutes but nothing more unless Jesse is in foul trouble.

I love that he always goes up strong and looks to dunk everything around the rim. Unless the defender is a really good shot blocker, Frank will either make the dunk or get fouled and go to the line. We've had so many timid bigs who can't finish at the rim, or who unnecessarily fake or hesitate so it's great to see a guy who just attacks the rim. Because we play zone, as it has been mentioned many times, power or small forward is not an issue. Also, because Jesse is aggressive on defense and a shot blocker, he will most likely always be in foul trouble, so there will be minutes for Frank at both center and forward next year. Offensively, all he needs to do is add a short jumper, floater, hook etc. if he starts taking threes or long range twos he will get a quick hook.

Last edited:
Reminds me of T Roberts

You certainly implied it so that’s why i asked the question. Jesse needs to be playing 35 mpg for us to be successful. I certainly like Frank getting a few minutes but nothing more unless Jesse is in foul trouble.

Big East DPOY Fab Melo averaged about 25 minutes a game.
We were pretty successful that season, no?

Jesse does NOT need to go 35 every game, and frankly (pun intended) he’d probably foul out again non-‘Llvll minus their stud center’ teams if he played that many minutes most nights.

Frank getting 5-6 mins each half still leaves 28-30 for Jesse.
And keeps Jesse away from 25% of the dumb fouls he’s prone to picking up, by virtue of him being on the bench for a bit.

If you believe this; point out where my words implied that and which words!

The point i was trying to make is that he has a talented player ahead of him who is going to play 30 plus minutes a game at least this year and next.

Fine,
If that’s your point; I love Jesse. My point is we need to develop a quality backup and at this point it seems to be Frank.

I love that he always goes up strong and looks to dunk everything around the rim. Unless the defender is a really good shot blocker, Frank will either make the dunk or get fouled and go to the line. We've had so many timid bigs who can't finish at the rim, or who unnecessarily fake or hesitate so it's great to see a guy who just attacks the rim. Because we play zone, as it has been mentioned many times, power or small forward is not an issue. Also, because Jesse is aggressive on defense and a shot blocker, he will most likely always be in foul trouble, so there will be minutes for Frank at both center and forward next year. Offensively, all he needs to do is add a short jumper, floater, hook etc. if he starts taking threes or long range twos he will get a quick hook.
My only point of disagreement I have with your well thoughout post is Jesse’s foul problems. He is improving and without officials making very poor calls he would have fouled up even a lesser amount of games!

Big East DPOY Fab Melo averaged about 25 minutes a game.
We were pretty successful that season, no?

Jesse does NOT need to go 35 every game, and frankly (pun intended) he’d probably foul out again non-‘Llvll minus their stud center’ teams if he played that many minutes most nights.

Frank getting 5-6 mins each half still leaves 28-30 for Jesse.
And keeps Jesse away from 25% of the dumb fouls he’s prone to picking up, by virtue of him being on the bench for a bit.
Interesting comparison. That team was 34-3, rolled so many teams and had 10 players avg double digit minutes. This team is 12-11 and has almost no depth. I’m not saying Frank shouldn’t play but we need Jesse to play the majority of the minutes to win.

As of now, Jesse is shooting 70%. Frank's at 71. Rebounding is about equal, when adjusting for minutes. Jesse blocks way more. So we pretty much have a great situation at Center. I am curious to see FA try to play at the 4, but this team has enough out-of-position players, maybe.

Which is why me and others have brought up if he can play the 4.

At the 5 his minutes are capped until Jesse is gone - so hopefully through next year.

But we’re weak at the 4. In 1993, he’d be in there at the 4. I realize the game has changed, but could we get him in there 10 mpg at the 4 and 10 at the 5, next year?
Going with him at the 4 next year. Will be similar to Christmas and Melo dynamic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom