Frank Howard Suspended | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Howard Suspended

This is not like a football team where there is just a limitless supply of players and it's next man up. We have a very small roster, and very few players who are capable of putting the ball into the basket with any type of consistency. Frank, with all his flaws, was one of them. We are a fundamentally worse basketball team without him, because it lessens our options and decreases our margin of error big-time if others have bad games.

I basically have zero expectations of this team in this tourney, because I just don't think we're very good. In the past two months we have exactly one win (Louisville) against a team with a winning record. That said, once 10 pm rolls around, I'll be pacing my living room like a nut-job per usual.

This is not like a football team where there is just a limitless supply of players and it's next man up. We have a very small roster, and very few players who are capable of putting the ball into the basket with any type of consistency. Frank, with all his flaws, was one of them. We are a fundamentally worse basketball team without him, because it lessens our options and decreases our margin of error big-time if others have bad games.

I basically have zero expectations of this team in this tourney, because I just don't think we're very good. In the past two months we have exactly one win (Louisville) against a team with a winning record. That said, once 10 pm rolls around, I'll be pacing my living room like a nut-job per usual.

I think that's fair, but we also need to factor in Buddy's ascendance on the team's late improvement running Battle at the point alongside Buddy, while Frank sits.

I don't think there's been a bigger supporter of Frank's over the long course of his career than me -- but I'm really fatigued. If the suspension is for the reason that I believe, then it shows poor judgement on his part, right before the postseason. Even I'm ready to move on.

I think that's fair, but we also need to factor in Buddy's ascendance on the team's late improvement running Battle at the point alongside Buddy, while Frank sits.

I don't think there's been a bigger supporter of Frank's over the long course of his career than me -- but I'm really fatigued. If the suspension is for the reason that I believe, then it shows poor judgement on his part, right before the postseason. Even I'm ready to move on.
Against Baylor's zone, this might be a blessing in disguise with Buddy on the floor more. Against Gonzaga, we'll miss his defense.

Basically I would rather have the ability to gauge whether tonight is "good Frank" or "bad Frank" than not have Frank at all. Maybe tonight would be a game where he's lazy and slow and his shot is off (in that case, pull him and let Buddy play), but what if he's lighting it up like he did against Duke. In that case, perhaps he plays 35 minutes. I just want to have options and the flexibility to determine who has the hot-hand.

The future is very bright for Buddy, but at this point in his young career there have still been games against athletic teams where he was just overwhelmed (e.g. at NC State and at Va Tech)

Basically I would rather have the ability to gauge whether tonight is "good Frank" or "bad Frank" than not have Frank at all. Maybe tonight would be a game where he's lazy and slow and his shot is off (in that case, pull him and let Buddy play), but what if he's lighting it up like he did against Duke. In that case, perhaps he plays 35 minutes. I just want to have options and the flexibility to determine who has the hot-hand.

The future is very bright for Buddy, but at this point in his young career there have still been games against athletic teams where he was just overwhelmed (e.g. at NC State and at Va Tech)

Understood -- but Frank took that possibility away, most likely through his own actions. Actions have consequences, and now the team [and fanbase] will suffer the consequences.

The thing is, everybody knows that no matter how improbable, anything can happen in the NCAA tournament. Frank has been on two teams that have greatly outshot their seeding, and gone on improbable runs. He's a senior; he needs to show leadership. He didn't, and here we are.

Last edited:
So, after reading this entire thread, here's what I've got...

After team practice, Frank and another un-named player (likely a walk-on) stole a scooter from a nearby Mormon Tabernacle parking lot and embarked on a petty crime spree. There were no witnesses, but they were caught on CCTV. Only Frank could be positively identified. He was subsequently picked up by the local constabulary for questioning.

Team officials were called to the police station and, due to the innocuous nature of the offenses, asked what they wanted to do about Frank. They indicated they would like to handle things internally to avoid a scandal, and the police agreed.

After a meeting - in an effort at damage-control - the team and the school decided to use a little known clause in the school's drug testing policy, wherein they could use a positive drug test from a random player from a random season within the past 15 years, to remove Frank from the team for "between 1 minute and the rest of his natural life."

The coach and the entire team were advised of this at the last possible minute, and were also informed that Frank had been suspended, "through absolutely no fault of his own," so the other players could still feel good about "winning one for Frank."

False information was quickly disseminated to various "social influencers," frequent forum posters, and Twitter users in order to "confuse the masses."

Agreed, but I think we got a favorable draw, until potentially FSU, regarding your concerns. Baylor isn't an in your face team, and neither is Gonzaga. Those are two teams that Buddy should be able to play off Battle to his strengths.

So, after reading this entire thread, here's what I've got...

After team practice, Frank and another un-named player (likely a walk-on) stole a scooter from a nearby Mormon Tabernacle parking lot and embarked on a petty crime spree. There were no witnesses, but they were caught on CCTV. Only Frank could be positively identified. He was subsequently picked up by the local constabulary for questioning.

Team officials were called to the police station and, due to the innocuous nature of the offenses, asked what they wanted to do about Frank. They indicated they would like to handle things internally to avoid a scandal, and the police agreed.

After a meeting - in an effort at damage-control - the team and the school decided to use a little known clause in the school's drug testing policy, wherein they could use a positive drug test from a random player from a random season within the past 15 years, to remove Frank from the team for "between 1 minute and the rest of his natural life."

The coach and the entire team were advised of this at the last possible minute, and were also informed that Frank had been suspended, "through absolutely no fault of his own," so the other players could still feel good about "winning one for Frank."

False information was quickly disseminated to various "social influencers," frequent forum posters, and Twitter users in order to "confuse the masses."

Left out the most ridiculous part of the thread-

"Mr. Boeheim, this is Mark Emmert of the National Collegiate Athletic Association . We received an, uh, an informal complaint that a member of your team - a Franklin Howard? - drew a firearm during league play..."

*this is a big lebowski quote for those wondering*

1553174236878.jpeg

The speculation yesterday was just off the charts stuff.

He didn’t play until garbage time against Va Tech. How’s that being overwhelmed? Is Duke not athletic? Played pretty well there.

I guess I disagree with your basketball takes a lot in general, but we have had way too much success in the tourney over the years for people to have zero expectations. Also this is Baylor, Not UNC and last I looked they haven’t beat anyone good in a while either.

Despite stats, frank’s visibly been a big part of the teams success over the past two seasons.

He hits big shots. That’s pretty undeniable at this point. All else aside.

This is very disappointing and that’s all I will leave it at.

is frank with the team or back in Cuse?

He didn’t play until garbage time against Va Tech. How’s that being overwhelmed? Is Duke not athletic? Played pretty well there.

I guess I disagree with your basketball takes a lot in general, but we have had way too much success in the tourney over the years for people to have zero expectations. Also this is Baylor, Not UNC and last I looked they haven’t beat anyone good in a while either.

All I'm saying about Buddy is that he's not guaranteed to give us high-quality minutes as a freshman each and every game (nor is any player). So I would rather have a more "diversified portfolio" of options to choose from, i.e. having access to Frank. But we don't, so that's that.

All I'm saying about Buddy is that he's not guaranteed to give us high-quality minutes as a freshman each and every game (nor is any player). So I would rather have a more "diversified portfolio" of options to choose from, i.e. having access to Frank. But we don't, so that's that.

Could argue that about Battle as well.

This is obviously the NCAA's punishment for the UNC academic scandal. I expect to lose 107 wins, 22 scholarships, NCAA tournament ban for 5 years, and Jim Boeheim to be executed.
I was lurking to see if you had info on Howard, but had to sign in to like your comment. Hysterical!!

Could argue that about Battle as well.

Agreed. That's what I meant by "nor is any player." Maybe it's a scenario where Frank and Buddy are playing great and Battle sits.

More roster combination options = better basketball team.

Also, let's not forget that we don't win at Duke without Frank playing a great game. He was 7-13 from the field for 16 points, 6 assists and 5 rebounds. He also hit some MAJOR shots down the stretch.

Also, let's not forget that we don't win at Duke without Frank playing a great game. He was 7-13 from the field for 16 points, 6 assists and 5 rebounds. He also hit some MAJOR shots down the stretch.

Fair, but we have no potential game this weekend that would be tougher than @ Duke.

Who is forgetting that?

The point is, Frank is ineligible to play tonight for a reason. Wishing that he could play isn't going to change that he won't.

The Frank Howard hate is not a good look. Lots of people drawing conclusions about his character based on nothing. Lots of people levying personal attacks because he isn't as good at basketball as they'd hoped.

Pretty disgusting. I hope this thread gets nuked.

Edit: there has been valid criticism, too, but it's outweighed by the tabloid level garbage being spewed.

The funny thing about that...certain things seem to get deleted around here with zero explanation...but people can attack a current players character with zero hard facts as to what happened...but its cool

In my opinion, people who are cool with him not being available tonight are forgetting those types of moments this season.

In full disclosure, I didn't read this thread. I fully expect that it is a cesspool.

But if what I'm hearing about the suspension is accurate, then it is difficult to feel sympathetic. I can only speak for myself in that regard.

What hurts is that it looked like frank turned a corner the last 2 games.

I’ve always thought we were better offensively with buddy in, and not much worse defensively.
Maybe PEDs were why he finally turned the corner?

Maybe his bad play this year truly was because of the injury that he never got over?

maybe if he did take peds and the last couple of games were how he wouldve played all year had he not been injured?

Maybe he knew that he wouldn't get to where he would need to be by the time of the tourney and decided to roll the dice with drugs b/c otherwise he knew he wouldve not been where he needed to be make a mark?

maybe the team knew and battle let him have the ACCT as his swan song?

Take this one away. We don’t win at Duke if Eli doesn’t hit a 3/4 court shot at the buzzer.

And while he did hit a three, Buddy played like 90 seconds in that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom