Frank Howard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Howard

Frank's handle isn't as bad as you're all saying. He doesn't break ankles but he rarely turns the ball over because he got his pocket picked.

Driving into traffic and not knowing what to do with the ball has to account for 70% of the turnovers. He also doesn't have good ball security when gathering. But his dribbling is not the cause of most turnovers. He keeps it alive and away from defenders when they're in his face pretty well. His problems start after he gets past the primary defender.

Geez, let’s let the kid play through it & hopefully get better throughout the season, as JB is willing to do.
How many more of these “Frank really sucks & will never amount to anything” threads do we need after every game? I’m looking for W’s, and as JB said, “ It’s much better to win and learn, then to lose and learn”.
We get it, he has limitations and needs to improve. It is what it is.

Dion didn't start in 2012. U seriously using that as a reason scoop wasn't that good?
Well, there's a huge difference between shouldering PG duties for 38 minutes per game vs coming off the bench for 22 mpg.

The fact that you cite his Soph year as his best is kinda my best argument. You're wrong however, he was better his SR year...by far.

His junior year, the first year where he was given the keys to the Ferrari, he was so bad, he had to fight of rumors of point shaving. POINT SHAVING!

I love scoop. His SR year was awesome. But let's not make him sound like he's anywhere near the conversation with the great PGs in our history.

Well, there's a huge difference between shouldering PG duties for 38 minutes per game vs coming off the bench for 22 mpg.

The fact that you cite his Soph year as his best is kinda my best argument. You're wrong however, he was better his SR year...by far.

His junior year, the first year where he was given the keys to the Ferrari, he was so bad, he had to fight of rumors of point shaving. POINT SHAVING!

I love scoop. His SR year was awesome. But let's not make him sound like he's anywhere near the conversation with the great PGs in our history.

Yes junior year scoop was not good (yet the team still got a 3 seed in the tourney), but you are severely underrating how good he was his soph year. Look at the #s, he put up better stats despite playing less minutes. The cal game and the gtown game at the dome immediately come to mind, that was his best year in my opinion.

Yes junior year scoop was not good (yet the team still got a 3 seed in the tourney), but you are severely underrating how good he was his soph year. Look at the #s, he put up better stats despite playing less minutes. The cal game and the gtown game at the dome immediately come to mind, that was his best year in my opinion.

I remember Scoop's sophomore year that he had a head scratching moment or two each game where you thought "what the heck was he thinking". Because he was playing reserve minutes he didn't get as much attention as Triche seemed to be the board whipping boy. As a junior I recall people wondering before each game if we would have the good Scoop or the bad Scoop. There didn't seem to be much middle ground, and alot of people we're blaming team losses directly on Scoop. I might be misremembering but there wasn't much appreciation for him junior year.

Frank's handle isn't as bad as you're all saying. He doesn't break ankles but he rarely turns the ball over because he got his pocket picked.

Driving into traffic and not knowing what to do with the ball has to account for 70% of the turnovers. He also doesn't have good ball security when gathering. But his dribbling is not the cause of most turnovers. He keeps it alive and away from defenders when they're in his face pretty well. His problems start after he gets past the primary defender.

Respectfully disagree. You didn’t see it today because Colgate didn’t appy even the slightest pressure. But, in almost every game he picks up his dribble too far from the basket on a few occasions. Sometimes no teammates are around! He’s stuck in no man’s land. That has happened a few times with even the slightest pressure. This discombobulates and stalls the offense. He almost had a palming today because of a high dribble. I do agree he has more problems when he gets into traffic but saying his handle isn’t an issue or that it is solid would be a fallacy, IMO. He isn’t overly quick either and doesn’t play downhill so these issues get magnified.

I just think he is miscast. Not his fault. The staff has botched the PG position for years. It is what it is and he won’t come out of games. To me he would be a really solid SG/combo coming off the bench who can do some things. An asset for sure in that capacity. We likely will never see that role, however.

Last edited:

I remember that, and his reply about loving the game so much that he didnt need to get paid to play it. Wasnt it more of a free throw thing though? Jake, this may be the first day I questioned more than one of your posts, but even Michael Jordan had off games, lol.

Speaking of Jordan, what season did Scoop start dating his daughter? That may have effected him a bit.

I like Frank and have defended the guy quite a bit, but am still more confused as to why he doesnt get called for carries than the clueless millenials who couldnt comprehend why Chuckwu got a technical for hanging on the rim. Man, has the game changed.

I worry more about Frank's attitude. Does he think he can make mistakes or is it always his teammates' fault? We've heard on a couple of occasions in the past that he was a difficult personality. I thought that was water under the bridge. Hope it still is because that's the key in my mind to him showing us continued improvement.

Battle has become an all-ACC caliber player that you can put down for 20 a night even before he pulls on the jersey. The difference between last year's Chukwu and this year's is night and day. The freshmen all look better than we thought they would. Even Moyer has shown flashes of ability that I didn't think he had in him. But Frank is the key. He doesn't have to do it all. Just play smart and steady. No one needs you to score 20 a night. Be the leader that you should be on this team and we'll be tourney-bound.

MCW couldn't (still can't) dribble at a high level, and led us to a final4

MCW couldn't (still can't) dribble at a high level, and led us to a final4

True. He’s faster and more athletic than Frank. I mean Frank could never pull off that steal then coast-to-coast dunk @ Louisville to seal the win. You saw it today. Raymond had that breakaway and Frank was stride for stride yet really could not catch him which led to the and-1. Raymond is a 6’8 forward.

Last edited:
Frank and Tyus simply try to do too much at times. Today was the perfect example. Forced shots and passes were in abundance. Some of Frank's passes are the right idea, but come at ill advised times. He had decent lob to Chukwu today on a drive, but PC wasn't even looking for it. That's something I'd chew PC out for.

The passes to no one that go out of bounds are inexcusable at this level.

Frank is not a PG. He's a scoring guard. He'll have his stellar moments as a PG this season, but there will be a lot of frustration in between. He has to work through these types of games and learn from them.

If we could cross HW and FH, we'd have a solid PG named Frank Washington.

Im gonna wait until ACC play to judge. He’s a junior on a young team.

What is everyone's take on that play in the second half where Frank was loudly calling for the High--Low play and kept yelling at Brissett to set the screen but PC was already there. Both Dolezaj and Brissett told Frank that PC was already there and Frank responded by yelling "YOU!! HERE!!" and violently pointing to the place he wanted the screen. It was really bizarre to me but maybe stuff like that happens all the time and you just don't hear it. In this case you could hear all/see all of it crystal clear.

Frank's numbers are pretty bad. 40% from the floor and 28% from 3. I'm not sure why those numbers will get better once ACC play starts. We better hope they do.

I'm daring Frank to beat me if I'm an ACC coach.

I like Frank and have defended the guy quite a bit, but am still more confused as to why he doesnt get called for carries than the clueless millenials who couldnt comprehend why Chuckwu got a technical for hanging on the rim. Man, has the game changed.
Hi cap! I'm all for T-ing up a guy for hanging on the rim for showboating, but not sure PC even knows how to showboat.

What is everyone's take on that play in the second half where Frank was loudly calling for the High--Low play and kept yelling at Brissett to set the screen but PC was already there. Both Dolezaj and Brissett told Frank that PC was already there and Frank responded by yelling "YOU!! HERE!!" and violently pointing to the place he wanted the screen. It was really bizarre to me but maybe stuff like that happens all the time and you just don't hear it. In this case you could hear all/see all of it crystal clear.

Yeah, that was odd and very audible. Not sure if that is the right sort of attitude to display out there. Seeems like me first type of stuff.

FH is okay in my mined. He's probably the best PG we have this year. Yeah, some mistakes and some turnovers. And then some brilliant passing plays. If he can contribute on with scoring he will be a difference maker. I'm okay with him. The last two games have not been his best. Basketball is not exactly the easiest sport to play. Every game he's getting incrementally better. He's done all the weight training work. He's in good condition. His steals and defense are good. I think he's going to be integral this season.

Respectfully disagree. You didn’t see it today because Colgate didn’t appy even the slightest pressure. But, in almost every game he picks up his dribble too far from the basket on a few occasions. Sometimes no teammates are around! He’s stuck in no man’s land. That has happened a few times with even the slightest pressure. This discombobulates and stalls the offense. He almost had a palming today because of a high dribble. I do agree he has more problems when he gets into traffic but saying his handle isn’t an issue or that it is solid would be a fallacy, IMO. He isn’t overly quick either and doesn’t play downhill so these issues get magnified.

This isn't intended to be either for or against Howard, but there was a play early in the game where he was bringing the ball up court, then just over the half-court line, when the slightest pressure was applied, he inexplicably picked-up his dribble. He was immediately double-teamed, trapped against the half-court line, but managed to pass the ball. I was looking to see JB's reaction, but the camera followed the action into the front-court and away from the SU bench.

His handle is weak. He cant handle pressure. Thats why teams are running at him when he crosses half court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom