Frank Howard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Howard

I tend to value the PGs who lead us to tournament wins. That team with Ennis had a 25 - 0 start, but was upset in the first round of the ACC tournament, and was upset in the 2nd round by an 11 seed. Took the luster off the early season wins.
Frank needs a strong March -- and why not?

True but I want to be safely in the Tournament for a change. A strong regular season puts you in that position obviously. That Ennis team was flawed and we started to see the symptoms in January/Feb with scoring in the 50s against bad teams. Not enough creativity on offense. Cooney not being able to get/schemed open. CJ as a featured ISO guy is OK but only in certain situations. Keita raw/no offense, Grant still raw, Roberson no offense, etc.

Last edited:
Good point. Can’t give Frank that one yet, I guess.

To me his stroke looks better and I expect a 35-38% season out of him from 3 this year. But he’s gotta do it.

Honestly forgot he was only 31% last year, was thinking he was like he was 33-34%.

But yeah, Hart was a 4 year starter. And while he turned the ball over too much too(and missed too many layups), you felt like he could go by people as well. Frank...not really.

Frank has shown court vision and an improved stroke. I’m hoping for a good shooting version of senior Z Sims this year.

Yeah, I like the potential senior Sims outlook/comparison. No doubt he’s a creative passer. Less would be more. Others like Carey to lessen the burden and help out with ballhandling. I’d love to see him being setup for some threes since his stroke is really nice and he has the tools to shoot even better.

It must be semi-serious or Cuse would just say Frank will miss a few days or a few weeks of practice. To say that Frank is expected to be back before 1st game sounds like he is out at least a month out completely. I'm worried.

first game is about 8 weeks away, so he will probably be out about 6-7 weeks. don't worry, as long as he is indeed back to start the season, all is good. better now than a week before the season starts

True but I want to be safely in the Tournament for a change. A strong regular season puts you in that position obviously. That Ennis team was flawed and we started to see the symptoms in January/Feb with scoring in the 50s against bad teams. Not enough creativity on offense. Cooney not being able to get/schemed open. CJ as a featured ISO guy is OK but only in certain situations.
Agree -- and if the practice reports are credible (Hughes in particular), safely in is a good bet. Still, Frank's legacy in the eyes of many fans will depend on the tournament games.

It must be semi-serious or Cuse would just say Frank will miss a few days or a few weeks of practice. To say that Frank is expected to be back before 1st game sounds like he is out at least a month out completely. I'm worried.

Indeed. Quite possibly an MCL type injury or the dreaded high ankle sprain type, which is typically a 4-6 week recovery period.

If MCL related, the general recovery time below:

If the torn ligament does not heal sufficiently, you may experience instability in the joint, and you will be more susceptible to re-injury. The MCL usually responds very well to non-surgical treatment, although surgery may be required in rare cases. Depending on the severity of the injury, a period of rest, bracing and physical therapy usually is sufficient to heal the tear.
Once the MCL has healed fully, you should have a minimum of long-term effects, providing there was no other damage to the knee.
Recovery times differ depending on the severity of the injury:

• A minor, or grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently for you to return to normal activities, including sports.
  • A grade 2 tear can take from two to four weeks to heal.
  • A grade 3 tear usually takes from four to eight weeks to heal, unless it is associated with damage to the ACL, in which case the recovery time may be longer.

Indeed. Quite possibly an MCL type injury or the dreaded high ankle sprain type, which is typically a 4-6 week recovery period.

If MCL related, the general recovery time below:

If the torn ligament does not heal sufficiently, you may experience instability in the joint, and you will be more susceptible to re-injury. The MCL usually responds very well to non-surgical treatment, although surgery may be required in rare cases. Depending on the severity of the injury, a period of rest, bracing and physical therapy usually is sufficient to heal the tear.
Once the MCL has healed fully, you should have a minimum of long-term effects, providing there was no other damage to the knee.
Recovery times differ depending on the severity of the injury:

• A minor, or grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently for you to return to normal activities, including sports.
  • A grade 2 tear can take from two to four weeks to heal.
  • A grade 3 tear usually takes from four to eight weeks to heal, unless it is associated with damage to the ACL, in which case the recovery time may be longer.

4-6 weeks brings him back mid to late October which is still 3-4 weeks before we play our first game and 6 weeks before we play anyone decent.

That’s plenty of time to recover. Better now than November.

4-6 weeks brings him back mid to late October which is still 3-4 weeks before we play our first game and 6 weeks before we play anyone decent.

That’s plenty of time to recover. Better now than November.
Yep, agreed. Even moreso, better now than February. Tough regardless but silver lining is it gives Carey, Washington more “reps.”

31% is Frank's career, to date. Give J Hart a guy like Battle to play off of instead of Janulis, and I bet he would have had a better %.
Was Hart’s team as depth challenged as franks last year? Before my time

Frank’s speed is going to surprise many on this board this year. His slowness was by design/due to fatigue

Agree -- and if the practice reports are credible (Hughes in particular), safely in is a good bet. Still, Frank's legacy in the eyes of many fans will depend on the tournament games.

Agree. But, if the team is depending on Frank doing too much then we won’t be that good, IMO. Should be plenty of weapons to go around so he can just manage the game.

Frank’s speed is going to surprise many on this board this year. His slowness was by design/due to fatigue

This is one of the BIG mystery questions/issues I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out. I think his handle really needs to improve still if he’s going to get moving quickly to consistently attack that way. It just gets away from him at times when he does speed up. We’ll see about this. But, yes, I do believe fatigue was an issue. I just don’t see how it couldn’t have been with he and Tyus logging so many minutes and shouldering the majority of the responsibilities. Yes, I agree also some of it by design as well by JB to preserve stamina.

Was Hart’s team as depth challenged as franks last year? Before my time
He had Griff with him for 3 years. His senior year they had freshman Shumpert and Tony Bland but there wasn't a lot of depth. J Hart, Etan and Blackwell played a lot of minutes.

This is one of the BIG mystery questions/issues I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out. I think his handle really needs to improve still if he’s going to get moving quickly to consistently attack that way. It just gets away from him at times when he does speed up. We’ll see about this. But, yes, I do believe fatigue was an issue. I just don’t see how it couldn’t have been with he and Tyus logging so many minutes and shouldering the majority of the responsibilities. Yes, I agree also some of it by design as well by JB to preserve stamina.
Without a doubt he was running a slower pace by design because JAB was trying to limit possessions but watching his handle and speed with the ball I find it hard to believe the pace will be dramatically faster.

Without a doubt he was running a slower pace by design because JAB was trying to limit possessions but watching his handle and speed with the ball I find it hard to believe the pace will be dramatically faster.

Yeah, I agree. Will be interesting to see. Maybe some minute, incremental improvement in the speed and handle but I just think he is what he is as a PG. Which is fine especially with some weapons around him. Distribute, manage the game, etc. Carey should be the jolt/injection of speed and attacking downhill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom