Fran's post bowl game team meeting .. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Fran's post bowl game team meeting ..

Not all who are upset are correlating the two things; I don't think this will scare off potential transfers etc, that's not why I'm upset. I'm upset because our team just got demolished on national television. It almost seems like some fans emotionally checked out of this season right after Dino was fired and started looking forward to next season especially after all the recent excitement.

The team that was on the field last night was still our team.

It was the leftovers of our team for the most part. The guys who gutted it out is who I was mad for when they were surrounded by many guys they didn’t share the field with all year.

I like the fact that Brown is letting the players know even the little things matter if they want to play football at SU.

Syracuse.com - Things like coming to breakfast, keeping team spaces clean, removing hats indoors and making eye contact while speaking with someone have all been emphasized. “I think you can just see that he’s really serious about the little things,” Caleb Okechukwu said. “Things that we may have been able to get away with in the past is not really gonna fly now.”

It’s crazy to me that anyone expected this to go well. We have hardly anyone to play the game with, we have no qb and had about 5 coaches over the last month…and we’re completely transitioning to Fran. You people are insane

I like the fact that Brown is letting the players know even the little things matter if they want to play football at SU.

Syracuse.com - Things like coming to breakfast, keeping team spaces clean, removing hats indoors and making eye contact while speaking with someone have all been emphasized. “I think you can just see that he’s really serious about the little things,” Caleb Okechukwu said. “Things that we may have been able to get away with in the past is not really gonna fly now.”
Yep mock Marrone if you will, but he did that stuff when the program needed it. While this case isn’t as extreme it is much needed too and I am here for it, the culture on the team sucks

It’s crazy to me that anyone expected this to go well. We have hardly anyone to play the game with, we have no qb and had about 5 coaches over the last month…and we’re completely transitioning to Fran. You people are insane
Looked like a lot of the same players from the Wake game to me.

Not all who are upset are correlating the two things; I don't think this will scare off potential transfers etc, that's not why I'm upset. I'm upset because our team just got demolished on national television. It almost seems like some fans emotionally checked out of this season right after Dino was fired and started looking forward to next season especially after all the recent excitement.

We did check out, this was a lousy football team that got a bowl bid by beating crap teams and last night looked just like several of the regular season beatdowns except those were with a staff and team that was intact for the most part, not the zombie staff and roster of last night. Making a bowl was fools good so to speak, this team was bad. I get it, you feel embarrassed as an SU fan, but in this society where people move on after like 5 minutes, no one cares outside of the SU world at this point. It just shows how needed Fran Brown and his talent upgrade and new energy are

It's the lack of competiveness, the quitting, the buzz killing penalties, & the 4+ 40 point losses.
Yep as I posted earlier this team wasn’t much different than the 2019 dumpster fire, replace the Maryland blowout with the Purdue win to get to a bowl and replace Ward being fired with Babers being fired and there you go

It usually only bothers me a little. Half the players shirts untucked bugged me a LOT, last night. Not only playing poorly, but looking like you DGAF while doing it.

I want these kids to show up to a job interview with their shirt untucked, and their pants rolled up over their knees. Better yet? Tuck that shirt up so your gut is completely showing. Maybe get that tie stuffed up in there , too! So FUNNY!

Or pay attention to the little details, and do so with respect.

I know. Old fart. Get off my lawn. At least for our local HS, a kid wouldn't be allowed on the sideline- let alone the field, if he didn't show respect to the uniform.

Our Wildcat game plan is simple. It worked reasonably well against 4 ACC teams. You mean to tell me that USF, a 6-6 AAC team is much smarter and better prepared to stop it than the 4 ACC teams? I guess it comes down to effort. Which is shocking because these guys were playing for roster spots either at Cuse or in the portal. That is what shocked me.

Our Wildcat game plan is simple. It worked reasonably well against 4 ACC teams. You mean to tell me that USF, a 6-6 AAC team is much smarter and better prepared to stop it than the 4 ACC teams? I guess it comes down to effort. Which is shocking because these guys were playing for roster spots either at Cuse or in the portal. That is what shocked me.
Didn’t shock me because it looked like there were players who checked out weeks before Babers got canned.

I think not having Beck to make adjustments on the fly really hurt as well. There are a few different things they could have done to incorporate little short passes which never happened.

I like Marlowe but he has a penchant for getting stupid penalties at precisely the wrong time. Late hits, hits out of bounds, face masks, unsportsmanlike like conduct, hands to the face, etc. He had no reason to block the QB on the lateral last night. Clark had a free path to paydirt. Instead, he gets a stupid block in the back penalty. We don’t score, USF does, down 0-14, game over.
Stupid penalty = yes, but the Marlowe Wax types don’t come a dime a dozen.Ill take a team full of guys with his passion and talent all day.

I like Marlowe but he has a penchant for getting stupid penalties at precisely the wrong time. Late hits, hits out of bounds, face masks, unsportsmanlike like conduct, hands to the face, etc. He had no reason to block the QB on the lateral last night. Clark had a free path to paydirt. Instead, he gets a stupid block in the back penalty. We don’t score, USF does, down 0-14, game over.

At least I don’t think those type of game changing “things” will be tolerated moving forward. Maybe he’s able to change that knowing he’ll be held accountable.

Yep mock Marrone if you will, but he did that stuff when the program needed it. While this case isn’t as extreme it is much needed too and I am here for it, the culture on the team sucks

Accountability is important. Every coach has different ways of instituting it and what it looks like. But the idea of accountability and it being important to be part of the team is, well, important.

To be fair, some of the players were checked-out too.

A number of them are likely moving on with one foot out the door (and know or at least suspect it.) I think a number of players who will definitely be here next year were frustrated by the lack of focus and effort by some (namely Villari if you saw the presser after.)

Because of the impending roster turnover, now was not the time to roll out more enhanced package sets for Davis to see what he could do (with players that won't be here next year.)

I get people are frustrated that it was mostly wildcat-par-usual and there is no surprise that one of the better run defenses in the country squashed it like a bug with 3 weeks to prepare for it...

We need our new QB, our new OC, new OL players, and a new offense.

An unsuccessful era has ended unceremoniously in a bowl to be forgotten.

It is what it is.

Last edited:
To be fair, some of the players were checked-out too.

A number of them are likely moving on with one foot out the door (and know or at least suspect it.) I think a number of players who will definitely be here next year were frustrated by the lack of effort (namely Villari if you saw the presser after.)

Because of the impending roster turnover, now was not the time to roll out more enhanced package sets for Davis to see what he could do (with players that won't be here next year.)

I get people are frustrated that it was mostly wildcat-par-usual and there is no surprise that one of the better run defenses in the country squashed it like a bug with 3 weeks to prepare for it...

We need our new QB, our new OC, new OL players, and a new offense.

An unsuccessful era has ended unceremoniously in a bowl to be forgotten.

It is what it is.
Great post

It wasn't Marlowe who got flagged for the block, why are many folks saying this?

Last edited:
I guess I‘m having a hard time understanding how players and coaches, whether hoping to stay or leave, wouldn’t consider that their performance could very well effect how the new head coach viewed their performance or other programs’ coaches evaluated their play. Staying or leaving, just basic personal pride should have motivated them but knowing that the coaches staying were watching plus the coaches where they may want to considered for transfer (or hired) would evaluate their effort, it defies logic ‘to check out’. At least that’s how I view it - true competitors compete - whether a player or a coach - staying or leaving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom