From the Student Section | Syracusefan.com

From the Student Section

cusestudent

2nd String
Some of what I heard:

!. Finally we have an exciting offense. But that only occurred when we were down 22 points. The first half still looked like the same old boring offense. When we are successful with the pass why kill it with running plays that ultimately destroy the momentum? Simple conservative, crappy play calling out of the gate, again.

2. Why in the hell do we not have a special teams coordinator?!!!! Two years in a row now we had to watch as our special teams gets shredded, and essentially loses the game for us. The sharing of responsibility is just a failed idea that needs to be corrected ASAP.

3. Why is Cam Lynch not starting? He has consistently been one of the most dynamic players on the field. Our D-Line needs to step up the pass rush a little more, but it's better than last year at least. It looks like we may actually have a pretty complete team this year.

4. Penalties.....is it too much to ask for a little discipline? Next time they go to Drum they should work on their military bearing a little bit. The shove on third down when the kid was already out of bounds late in the fourth comes to mind.

5. The student section is the most important part of the crowd, and looked like the only group that had a good turnout. It makes for a loud Dome, and many articles referenced how loud it was on the field. Start catering to the group of future season ticket holders. There's a reason the juniors and seniors don't go. A lot of it has to do with the timing of the games; noon games suck for everyone.

6. No RB is going over 1000 yards this year.

7. Nassib is the real deal, and once Lemon is back...wow

Since you were there in the student section, do you know where 1/2 of them went to in the 3rd quarter? Are there 2pm classes on a Saturday?

Yea, the football student crowd does well when it is free.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

2. Why in the hell do we not have a special teams coordinator?!!!! Two years in a row now we had to watch as our special teams gets shredded, and essentially loses the game for us. The sharing of responsibility is just a failed idea that needs to be corrected ASAP.

Marrone is running ST this year.

Regarding 7, I really wonder where in the student section you were lol. The 20 or so people around me got excited when they saw that he was hurt, and I remember one kid yelling "FINALLY! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR THREE YEARS!"

QB wasn't out of bounds when Lyn hit him. Since you were in the student section, I wouldn't expect you to have seen that, but I thought you should know that it was actually a clean hit and a bad call.

Since you were there in the student section, do you know where 1/2 of them went to in the 3rd quarter? Are there 2pm classes on a Saturday?

Yea, the football student crowd does well when it is free.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
It really is sad that people leave the game early. A class of 2012 shirt wearer in the student section was relatively happy and talkative the whole game, but left once we went down by 22. His parting words were: "I'm glad you guys are staying and I hope we come back, but I already know we won't". After that comment two girls behind my girlfriend and I said: "We have some really good fans", then after another few minutes of the game, those girls left.

It really is sad that people leave games early. I never understood why people leave any game early and I've never left a game early. I've been to a variety of games, games where we've been up by 45, and games that we've been down by 20-30 and never left the game early. I've gone to a good amount of games and really, no matter what the score is, some people leave early. My two brothers and I also had season tickets in the 1998 season. I can clearly remember people leaving the Virginia Tech game in 1998 when we were down 21 to 6 at halftime, and holy smokes did they miss a good game. I also remember people leaving before the beginning of the 4th quarter against Tennessee. Someone should do some research about what people do when they leave the game, I know most people joke that they're going to rake leaves, or beat the traffic, etc.

I also agree with Bees' comment about the student football crowd doing well when the tickets are free, which sounds like a logical explanation to me. But why don't we just make football tickets free for students all of the time? They really wouldn't be missing out on too much money if they did it. I think the positives that it would do for the program would outweigh the slight loss of money. Plus, by getting students in there for free, they then give back by buying random food/drinks/t-shirts. So, it turns out to be about the same amount of money in my opinion.

Another idea is why don't we just add in some money on the "Student activity fees" and give students free football/basketball tickets? I guess I can see a problem during really big basketball games and having too many students in there, then some are pissed off that they weren't able to get in after being charged for the tickets. Also, some students who are actual basketball/football fans might be angry after being lumped into the same category as the casual freshman student. So, that would have to be figured out as well.

Some of what I heard:

!. Finally we have an exciting offense. But that only occurred when we were down 22 points. The first half still looked like the same old boring offense. When we are successful with the pass why kill it with running plays that ultimately destroy the momentum? Simple conservative, crappy play calling out of the gate, again.

I guess the game looks different depending on where you are sitting. We had some possessions around the 2nd quarter where the offense wasn't exciting but dropped passes and WR's running the wrong routes were a bigger problem then trying to run the ball, IMO. The 2 drives that we ended up kicking the FG's had just as much exciting offense as the end of the game. The staff did a great job mixing up the play-calling we just didn't score TD's and settled for 2 FG's.

A large percentage of the 1st and 2nd quarter, syracuse threw the ball twice as many times as they ran the ball. That includes the Nassib runs. Not sure what wasn't exciting.

Sorry kid... Syracuse has the WORST student section in college football. They are a joke. If it weren't for the local die hards The Dome would be dead silent. The students are too busy taking cell phone pics during the games and jingling their freaking keys instead of yelling. If the student section were the most important part of the crowd you would be getting free tickets for the season. The reason students pay at Syracuse is because they are not fans at all, just want to be seen on tv.

I would rather see the University give Fort Drum soldiers free tickets to all the games than the students. If we lose one more game the awesome student " fans " will leave the bleachers silver like they do every single year because they don't truly care about the program.

I guess the game looks different depending on where you are sitting. We had some possessions around the 2nd quarter where the offense wasn't exciting but dropped passes and WR's running the wrong routes were a bigger problem then trying to run the ball, IMO. The 2 drives that we ended up kicking the FG's had just as much exciting offense as the end of the game. The staff did a great job mixing up the play-calling we just didn't score TD's and settled for 2 FG's.

A large percentage of the 1st and 2nd quarter, syracuse threw the ball twice as many times as they ran the ball. That includes the Nassib runs. Not sure what wasn't exciting.
the student section .. badum dum chhh

off the students a modified ticket.. $20 gets you first dibs on seats for the season, the rest are free.

Sorry kid... Syracuse has the WORST student section in college football. They are a joke. If it weren't for the local die hards The Dome would be dead silent. The students are too busy taking cell phone pics during the games and jingling their freaking keys instead of yelling. If the student section were the most important part of the crowd you would be getting free tickets for the season. The reason students pay at Syracuse is because they are not fans at all, just want to be seen on tv.

The students make the atmosphere in the Dome exponentially better. That's not even debatable. They brought it yesterday. If some left early, oh well. So did some of the townies.

Regarding 7, I really wonder where in the student section you were lol. The 20 or so people around me got excited when they saw that he was hurt, and I remember one kid yelling "FINALLY! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR THREE YEARS!"

Sounds like a bunch of real knowledgeable football fans and class acts.

The students make the atmosphere in the Dome exponentially better. That's not even debatable. They brought it yesterday. If some left early, oh well. So did some of the townies.

Yeah, really an obnoxious and dismissive reply to the original post. Anyone who isn't praising the student turnout on Saturday is fooling himself. It was as large as any in memory; every downstairs section was full from before kickoff until halftime, 306 was full until halftime, and probably two-thirds of students stuck it out until the last minute (I should know - I lost a bet involving early departures).

I had the pleasure of sitting upstairs with the locals for the first time since I started at SU in 2008. As bnoro can attest to, 4 guys between 50-65 years old were sitting next to us and bashing "Doug Moron" as we fell behind early. They talked about how untalented and unathletic we were and that we had actually gotten worse personnel wise since GRob left. I was shocked they didn't leave when the score became 35-13, like many of the people around us did.

Unathletic? If we are anything at this point it's more talented and athletic than we were.
They clearly couldn't see MPB and Bromley blowing up their o-line and the secondary closing down holes that in year's past would've allowed for huge gains against us. I thought we flew around the field on D, and just got caught a few times. In the past, when a QB like Colter broke into the open field and had green in front of him, it always seemed like the play went for 10-20 yards. Yesterday, we were closing on him and keeping most of those runs to 3-7 yards.

I had 3 young guys behind me (in their 20's) saying the same basic things, minus the Grob references. That was when I could understand them in between all the swearing with at least 12 kids in the general vicinity.

What I saw on the drives with FGs, mainly the first one, was conservative. The first play was great, yet we went right into trying to run the ball...effectively killing the momentum of the drive. I like that we used screens in place of the run game on multiple occasions. Also the way we were keeping the RBs around in case Nassib needed to dump the ball off (the flick to Jerome for the big gain). But if we weren't down so much I guarantee the offense would have been much more conservative than it was. Our offense is at it's best when the pass game is used almost exclusively it seems

I thought the student section was good yesterday. They filled their section, and they were loud early. They petered out in the middle of the game, but those that stayed were loud at the end.

If the student "section" was not a section at all, but rather open seating, I don't think as many students would have come. They were probably largely newbies who wanted to experience the college football atmosphere. The test will be, do they keep coming all season long...and of course, stay the whole game. That's what fans do.

I don't mind the students getting free tickets (paid for in their student fee). But if they get them, they better well damn turnout in force every game. If not, cut 'em off and make them pay.

As far as the rest of the fans are concerned, those that showed up Saturday were loud, and the ones that stayed got to see a great comeback.

FWIW the University of Miami gives free admission to students. I went to grad school there and there was an entire section dedicated to students with free admIssion using your student ID. Not sure how they dealt with the big games, but even when full I was able to watch games against FSU, PSU, etc. that was around 99.

I'd be all for free tix to Students. SU needs to do a better job creating an exciting game day atmosphere for students per-game to create the 'culture' required to be successful

It really is sad that people leave the game early. A class of 2012 shirt wearer in the student section was relatively happy and talkative the whole game, but left once we went down by 22. His parting words were: "I'm glad you guys are staying and I hope we come back, but I already know we won't". After that comment two girls behind my girlfriend and I said: "We have some really good fans", then after another few minutes of the game, those girls left.

It really is sad that people leave games early. I never understood why people leave any game early and I've never left a game early. I've been to a variety of games, games where we've been up by 45, and games that we've been down by 20-30 and never left the game early. I've gone to a good amount of games and really, no matter what the score is, some people leave early. My two brothers and I also had season tickets in the 1998 season. I can clearly remember people leaving the Virginia Tech game in 1998 when we were down 21 to 6 at halftime, and holy smokes did they miss a good game. I also remember people leaving before the beginning of the 4th quarter against Tennessee. Someone should do some research about what people do when they leave the game, I know most people joke that they're going to rake leaves, or beat the traffic, etc.

I also agree with Bees' comment about the student football crowd doing well when the tickets are free, which sounds like a logical explanation to me. But why don't we just make football tickets free for students all of the time? They really wouldn't be missing out on too much money if they did it. I think the positives that it would do for the program would outweigh the slight loss of money. Plus, by getting students in there for free, they then give back by buying random food/drinks/t-shirts. So, it turns out to be about the same amount of money in my opinion.

Another idea is why don't we just add in some money on the "Student activity fees" and give students free football/basketball tickets? I guess I can see a problem during really big basketball games and having too many students in there, then some are pissed off that they weren't able to get in after being charged for the tickets. Also, some students who are actual basketball/football fans might be angry after being lumped into the same category as the casual freshman student. So, that would have to be figured out as well.

SU shouldnt have to create a fun game day atmosphere for the students...if they were true fans they would be excited to go to the game period...that is my point entirely. We dont need to doll up a Syracuse football game with circus acts, its college football people!

Some of what I heard:

3. Why is Cam Lynch not starting? He has consistently been one of the most dynamic players on the field. Our D-Line needs to step up the pass rush a little more, but it's better than last year at least. It looks like we may actually have a pretty complete team this year.

4. Penalties.....is it too much to ask for a little discipline? Next time they go to Drum they should work on their military bearing a little bit. The shove on third down when the kid was already out of bounds late in the fourth comes to mind.

5. The student section is the most important part of the crowd, and looked like the only group that had a good turnout. It makes for a loud Dome, and many articles referenced how loud it was on the field. Start catering to the group of future season ticket holders. There's a reason the juniors and seniors don't go. A lot of it has to do with the timing of the games; noon games suck for everyone.

6. No RB is going over 1000 yards this year.

7. Nassib is the real deal, and once Lemon is back...wow

You lost me at No. 1.

From the very start we were not running the same offense.

You've scouted all 117 D1 schools and have come to that conclusion?

Although we paid in my day the costs after the ridiculous nut of college was prohibitive to some, wouldn't mind if they did what the U does with the student ID and a dedicated section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom