From the Student Section | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

From the Student Section

Syracuse has far from the worst student section. I've been to Pitt twice, both bowl seasons for them, and their sections were smaller and quieter than ours usually is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You lost me at No. 1.

From the very start we were not running the same offense.

I'm with you. I had to read his post twice to see if I was missing something.

SU shouldnt have to create a fun game day atmosphere for the students...if they were true fans they would be excited to go to the game period...that is my point entirely. We dont need to doll up a Syracuse football game with circus acts, its college football people!
I disagree with this. People should go because they should is a great policy if you want your product to die.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

BYU does a cool thing. All students that buy football tix also get an all-sports pass that gives them admission to all other sports. Might be interesting to do that with SU football and just have the all-sports pass not include mens hoops.

BYU does a cool thing. All students that buy football tix also get an all-sports pass that gives them admission to all other sports. Might be interesting to do that with SU football and just have the all-sports pass not include mens hoops.

It's a good idea, but I think student admission is already free to everything other than football and men's hoops. Even lacrosse is free with an SU ID.

Why do noon games on a Saturday suck for everyone?

Why do noon games on a Saturday suck for everyone?

It's a little early to fit in maximum tailgating. And there are probably more youth sports conflicts at noon than there would be in the late afternoon or early evening.

To be honest, though, nooners didn't suck in 1998 (against Tennessee, for instance). And they don't seem to suck for many Big Ten fans (who, by and large, don't seem to mind 11:00 a.m. kickoffs, either). It's as much an easy excuse as it is a true inconvenience for many, I think.

What I saw on the drives with FGs, mainly the first one, was conservative. The first play was great, yet we went right into trying to run the ball...effectively killing the momentum of the drive. I like that we used screens in place of the run game on multiple occasions. Also the way we were keeping the RBs around in case Nassib needed to dump the ball off (the flick to Jerome for the big gain). But if we weren't down so much I guarantee the offense would have been much more conservative than it was. Our offense is at it's best when the pass game is used almost exclusively it seems
Just a quick breakdown of what SU did by quarter. I also want to mention that running the ball isn't evil. Some of the Nassib runs were scrambled and not designed. In any case, here goes:

1st Q

RUNS - 5
PASS ATTEMPTS - 11

2nd Q

RUNS - 11
PASS ATTEMPTS - 15

So SU passed a significant deal more than they ran the ball in the 1st half when the game was still close. They rushed six times in the drive they scored the TD in the 2nd quarter. So it's just false to say they were conservative, because they weren't. The first drive probably is the one sticking in your mind, where they kicked a field goal. They ran it three straight times, but the third time I believe Nassib was flushed and ran 2 yards, 1 yard short of the first down. Other then those tow drives, SU passed a significant deal more. Yes they passed more out of necessity in the second half, but I still think Nassib would have had upwards of 45 pass attempts in the game if it had been close, based on the first half alone.

It's a good idea, but I think student admission is already free to everything other than football and men's hoops. Even lacrosse is free with an SU ID.
Ah, didn't know that.

Ah, didn't know that.

Yeah, it's a pretty sweet deal, especially given how successful some of our teams have been recently (softball, field hockey). Shame we can't get more support.

I never got and still don't get the obsession w/ grading our fans. If someone wants to go to the game, great. If they're not a crazy fan, that's fine, too. Every community has hard core fans, casual fans, and non fans. If people aren't harming others, they can spend their time as they please and I don't really lose sleep over it.

Yeah, it's a pretty sweet deal, especially given how successful some of our teams have been recently (softball, field hockey). Shame we can't get more support.

I was visiting Maryland today for my little brother, the person who gave us the tour (a family friend) said that they get almost as much support for soccer and lacrosse as they do for football, which tells me a.) we're not the only school that struggles with football attendance. He said that it's almost all freshmen since the team hasn't been good and the freshmen dorms are right near Byrd, and b.) I wish we got that kind of support for our non-revenues. It still drives me nuts we don't get more than 20-30 kids for a lacrosse game unless it's UVA.

Maryland has lost 25% of their season ticket holders for 2 consecutive years now..

Sorry kid... Syracuse has the WORST student section in college football. They are a joke. If it weren't for the local die hards The Dome would be dead silent. The students are too busy taking cell phone pics during the games and jingling their freaking keys instead of yelling. If the student section were the most important part of the crowd you would be getting free tickets for the season. The reason students pay at Syracuse is because they are not fans at all, just want to be seen on tv.

This is a horribly inaccurate post. Wish half the students didn't bail after NW's 5th TD (along with half of every other section), but they were full, orange and loud. Looking at the rest of the sections was kinda depressing.

SU shouldnt have to create a fun game day atmosphere for the students...if they were true fans they would be excited to go to the game period...that is my point entirely. We dont need to doll up a Syracuse football game with circus acts, its college football people!

Terrible post. Let me break this down for you:

Last season was my fourth and final season in the student section. Went to every game. The turnouts varied dramatically-- with the most populated being later timed games, free games, or the first game of the year. What you seem to not understand via your post is that not every person going to the game was a Syracuse fan before going to college. I wasn't the norm. I've been going to games since I was 6 years old. Let me tell you-- the "true fans" are there. They aren't the problem.

You need to create an atmosphere for the "casual" fan to come and enjoy him/herself. Unfortunately the easiest way to do that is to win. Right now there is a perception out there that SU football sucks (especially when our basketball team is so good). Period. Regardless of the validity of it, college students, many of which are not "true" (aka diehard fans), are easily swayed by public opinion and simple numbers. Not too long ago we lost to Akron. We were 5-7 last season. College kids are swayed by simplicity and what happens at a certain moment in time. Most of these kids aren't on Syracusefan.com keeping track of football recruiting, etc. They will remember how hot and muggy the Dome was on saturday, how their head was pounding as SU was getting smothered well into the third quarter, before a fantastic (albeit disappointing) eventually sealed the game.

Whether you like it or not, SU losing games, especially in the fashion like Saturday, will stop many of these kids from waking up hungover to go to the Dome. Why go to the dome in the freezing cold when they can watch it on TV while eating stale egg sandwhiches, undercooked bacon, and drinking much needed water? Especially the case when that 25 dollar ticket can be used to by the drinks in the evening.

DISCLAIMER: This is by no means MY perspective. I just understand how many of these students' minds seem to work regarding SU football.

Good post.

As always when it comes to SU, it's a numbers game. We have, what, 14,000 undergrads. We're comparing ourselves to BCS state schools with 3-4x that enrollment. Lot easier to fill a student section when you have that kind of base to pull from, and kids who largely grew up in-state rooting for the team anyway.

Back when I was in school, 1991-95, there was no problem filling the section, because we were good. People over think this stuff to a crazy degree. Just win.

Ive been going to all the home games since the Dome was built. I can say that in the early 80s the student section was not too bad...the last 10 years have been terrible, and that is not an innacurate statement like the students on this board seem to think...its a freaking fact.

If the students want to be taken seriously then they should be fighting to get seats like the students do in SEC country, or in the Big Ten etc...act like you actually want to be there to cheer on the team without needing OTHER entertainment. The fact that you guys argue that the University doesnt make game day exciting enough is exactly my problem with the students,,,this is freaking college football and there is nothng better than college football. We dont need circus acts and other crap to get onur attention,

Sincerely,
Die hard fans

Ive been going to all the home games since the Dome was built. I can say that in the early 80s the student section was not too bad...the last 10 years have been terrible, and that is not an innacurate statement like the students on this board seem to think...its a freaking fact.

Hmmm, what else has been terrible the past 10 years?

Hmmmm.

Hmmm, what else has been terrible the past 10 years?

Hmmmm.

A lot of things but you're only there for 4 years...in most cases...and if you enjoy football why not go?

Of course I saw a lot of empty seats from many areas in the Dome Saturday, very disappointed in the attendance but the noise was there.

A lot of things but you're only there for 4 years...in most cases...and if you enjoy football why not go?

Of course I saw a lot of empty seats from many areas in the Dome Saturday, very disappointed in the attendance but the noise was there.

It's a different world. If a kid is a football fan he or she might prefer watching the big SEC or Big Ten game that day on a 50" flat screen over watching SU lose to some boring Big East team. There are so many entertainment options for students (and everyone, really) that it's tough to compete when the team stinks.

I know some folks find that appalling but it is what it is. Every generation has different expectations. Doesn't make them wrong, just makes them different.

Seems like our students turn out in force for hoops, as does the rest of the fan base. Just gotta win, it cures all.

Yes indeed Scooch, winning has many friends and losing is an orphan.

If the students want to be taken seriously then they should be fighting to get seats like the students do in SEC country, or in the Big Ten etc...act like you actually want to be there to cheer on the team without needing OTHER entertainment. The fact that you guys argue that the University doesnt make game day exciting enough is exactly my problem with the students,,,this is freaking college football and there is nothng better than college football. We dont need circus acts and other crap to get onur attention,

Sincerely,
Die hard fans
First off no one is arguing for more entertainment. Football is football, you either like it or you don't. A good majority of the students at SU probably don't even watch football. Walk around the campus and you'll find many international students, scholars (all they care about is academics), and then the opposite extreme (kids that party 24/7). With 14,000 undergrads there is no base to really draw from like the big time SEC or Big Ten schools you talk about. In all seriousness, that was a moronic post; SU will NEVER be a state school with 40000 undergrads.

SU was bigger and drew far more in state then than now. Different type of kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom