Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected)

IF true, so much for it not being about the money. $1.2 offer, even if it's initial offer is still a joke. IF true this whole search is an absolute joke, and we deserve to be right where we are right. But then again what should we expect. The whole operation up there is so lacking, and incompetent. Top to bottom is a disaster.

That 1.2 has to be the first offer. if that's the final what a joke. What's the guess for staff another 1 million. I can see not going all in on a first time hc but wow you can't lowball the guy and expect him not to be offended
I know this place is in full pitchfork mode right now but let's take a collective deep breath on this.

First, we are worked up on about a supposed announcement that never came. Second, we are assuming that Ash is going to be our coach from a tweet sent out yesterday. Makes sense.

As to the contract, I think most are unaware how FB contracts CAN work. First, let's just assume the offer was 1.2 (which, once again, is a Fukking rumor). That doesn't include any incentive bonuses, which could significantly increase that number. Second, if Syracuse was worried that Frost was going to jump ship in 2 years, I bet that contract was significantly back loaded with bump in salary.

If Frost was our first choice, it sucks to lose him. But if the guy was only here to take the money and run Syracuse must protect it's best interests as well. It's not fantasy sports here - it's a business.

The base salary blows. It just does. I get that there are incentives, including guaranteed bonuses like IMG appearance fees for ratio/TV, etc., but $1.2 million is a terrible base for a p5 school.

The concern about being gonzo in 2-3 years ago is a great point. And if a buyout was the reason as to what was a take-or-leave, then kudos on Coyle for being disciplined.

But a $1.2m base blows. It just does.

Private schools in the ACC:
UVA bringing in Richt for an interview
Miami offering up to 4mm a year
Cuse offering 1.2m to Oregons OC and OSU's Co DC
(All reportedly)
UVA is a public school.

The base salary blows. It just does. I get that there are incentives, including guaranteed bonuses like IMG appearance fees for ratio/TV, etc., but $1.2 million is a terrible base for a p5 school.

The concern about being gonzo in 2-3 years ago is a great point. And if a buyout was the reason as to what was a take-or-leave, then kudos on Coyle for being disciplined.

But a $1.2m base blows. It just does.

If true, my guess is this rumor came from the Frost camp. I bet average salary over the 5 years was significantly closer to the 1.8 - 2 range.

Just give Babers $2M and 2.8M for staff and get out on the recruiting trail. I'd have an interview set up at the hotel closest to his game this weekend.

Let me put it this way, I wouldn't be shocked to see almost that exact scenario play out. Maybe even a sweeter deal. Actually I expect this to happen.

Maybe you have to give Coyle a pass on the Frost deal. I think with Riley doing so bad in Neb , it changed the timeline for Frost . The original plan was 4-5 years. So that changed the offer.

If the offer to Frost was $1.2m, that is just embarrassing. There is no commitment to having a winning program. I guess SU really is a basketball school and just wants to collect a check from the ACC to serve as a punching bag for the good football teams. That's depressing.

If true, my guess is this rumor came from the Frost camp. I bet average salary over the 5 years was significantly closer to the 1.8 - 2 range.

WHy would they intentionally report a lower number though? Whats the incentive? To justify why he chose UCF over SU?

That would be my guess.

Here are my thoughts on pay for SU right now:

If we hire a coordinator, I think $1.6-1.8 mil is reasonable with a $2.5 mil assistant pool bucket.

If we hire a previous HC, I think $2.4-2.9 mil is bottom line with a similar assistant pool bucket.

All comes down to experience and prestige. Coyle has some firepower, so don't kid yourselves.

That should play no factor in what you pay. You pay what you believe the position is worth. It's obvious the BOT does not believe the position is worth much if this report is true.
Respectfully disagree. Folks with different experience levels get paid differently for same position.

Respectfully disagree. Folks with different experience levels get paid differently for same position.
People get paid what the market dictates and the top always pulls up the bottom more than you think. If you want to play you pay or get the ones nobody else wants.

MadNY3 said:
The base salary blows. It just does. I get that there are incentives, including guaranteed bonuses like IMG appearance fees for ratio/TV, etc., but $1.2 million is a terrible base for a p5 school. The concern about being gonzo in 2-3 years ago is a great point. And if a buyout was the reason as to what was a take-or-leave, then kudos on Coyle for being disciplined. But a $1.2m base blows. It just does.

Yep. And if that was a "first offer" to the guy that supposedly has been Coyle's top target then it's an insult. You don't lowball your first choice.

I get this everything at this point is all rumors and hearsay, but it sure would be nice if just one rumor wasn't a kick in the groin.

If that's true, then SU needs to be breathing down the neck of the PS and anyone else posting garbage. Fact is, much that happens in this world plays out in the court of public opinion. It's fine if Coyle needs to regroup a bit (I guess), but he also needs to be savvy enough to manage this for this fan base. As he knows, the only thing he has from now until kickoff to sell this program is marketing the promise that is this hire.

Crusty said:
Coyle outsmarted himself.

No way. If this guy wanted a two or three year deal and balked at a deal that was backloaded - Coyle was smart. He was protecting the school from a being used solely as a stepping stone to Nebraska.

(I have no problem being a stepping stone school for a truly good coach - but they can't accept the job with one eye out the door. That's not good for the program.)

I'd also bet Frosts people leaked that number to justify going to a non p5 when the opportunity was there. Going to the easier job looks weak.