Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected)

2 years is taking the job with 1 foot mout the door before putting any effort into syracuse

If this information is true, then Syracuse University Football is dead. Period!! I fear what is to come...

Here's something I find interesting. We chose to leak our information to a recruiting website instead of the local paper.

I think this says a whole lot about what the university thinks of Syracuse media group.

Here's something I find interesting. We chose to leak our information to a recruiting website instead of the local paper.

I think this says a whole lot about what the university thinks of Syracuse media group.

Hey, aren't we a recruiting website? ;)

If you (not you specifically, general address here) were willing to jump all over the Oregon report and say, "See, I told you so!" and believe the worst about Coyle and the BoT, what say ye now? I expect the same level of jumping, and some hearty applause this time.

2 years? That is not a serious demand, it's an insult!

Here is the difference: Frost is the commodity, not Coyle.

He was Coyle's first choice. We couldn't land him.

We were three years apart on our ADs first choice, a guy he's already interviewed, we still look like amateurs.

Him wanting to end up at Nebraska isn't news. If this was an issue, don't set your target on him.

MikeSU02 said:
Here is the difference: Frost is the commodity, not Coyle. He was Coyle's first choice. We couldn't land him. We were three years apart on our ADs first choice, a guy he's already interviewed, we still look like amateurs. Him wanting to end up at Nebraska isn't news. If this was an issue, don't set your target on him.

We could have had him. His terms were nutso. That's on him.

Frost contract coming out tomorrow. We will certainly see if the 1/2 year out clause was part of the deal. I will refrain from any more blasting of the administration until then.

So well said. And pathetic for SMG.

We were three years apart on our ADs first choice, a guy he's already interviewed, we still look like amateurs.

Him wanting to end up at Nebraska isn't news. If this was an issue, don't set your target on him.

FFS... Is it worth "landing" your first choice if the terms he wants are insane? HINT: NO.

If you're dumb enough to believe that $1.2 million number as the final/best offer, just ring your call button and Tommy will come back there and hit you on the head with a tack hammer because you're a **.

108176742_medium_9e9c08.jpg

All I know is Scott Frost won't be receiving a Christmas card from the Coyle family this year. ADMC showed his respect by putting him #1 on his coaching search and the guy gave us a ridiculous counter offer.

We could have had him. His terms were nutso. That's on him.

No. We couldn't have. He had his terms that were apparently unbeknownst to our AD, even though he has a history with him and was his number one target.

Do you tell your employer in the first interview what salary you want? Special requests you may have around work hours due to family obligations? Negotiations for less salary as a trade for more time off? You wait until you get an offer before bringing up stuff like that.

I would lay money that Coyle was taken aback by a sudden counter-offer/demand that the contract only be 2 years, after the initial tender was made. What do you say at that point? Thanks for your time, Darla will show you out. And you think, jeez, if he had said that up front he could have saved us both the time wasted. But that's not the way the game is played, so you deal with it and move on.

If Coyle had known that Frost would demand a 2-year deal, do you think Frost would have still been Coyle's first choice?

MikeSU02 said:
No. We couldn't have. He had his terms that were apparently unbeknownst to our AD, even though he has a history with him and was his number one target.

What are you talking about? Coyle's offer was fine - I'd bet we were shocked with his counter. Also - in the last 2-3 weeks the displeasure with first year coach Riley at Nebraska has been growing. I'm sure that didn't help.

2 years is taking the job with 1 foot mout the door before putting any effort into syracuse

It really is. I get that all football coaches want to move onto something bigger and better, so in that sense SU will always be a stepping stone. I mean, if Marrone can walk as soon as the better gig comes calling...

But even at that, most people would come here with both feet on the ground ready to make this a winning program, because there's no guarantee they're going to find the better gig.

Frost really doesn't want to be here at all, and doesn't want to wait any longer to get to his dream job, but unfortunately he has to go coach somewhere first. Pocket 7 figures for a couple years until he can get where he plans on going. If he doesn't follow Riley, he'll probably go into a depression.

It's hard not to get caught up in the threads, react to things like $1.2M base. I'm a little surprised we even offered, but maybe it wasn't until after the offer that it became so blatantly obvious.

Last year that Nebraska job probably looked about 5 years away (at least). After Riley's 5-7 effort with losses to Illinois and Purdue, Frost is probably now thinking it's two years away. Why go to Syracuse with bowl game aspirations and a schedule that includes 3 near certain losses when Frost can go to UCF, where you practically nothing you do there can cause your stock to drop? What coach asks for a 2 year contract? Should Coyle have anticipated that?

And what difference does it make? Shafer had to go. Coyle has a list of candidates to fill the vacancy. He started at the top. Frost had unreasonable demands. On to #2. Big deal.

Who says Coyle should have known the guy would ask for a 2 year deal?? That is silly no way Coyle should know that just because he interviewed him before. That is Frost deciding he really doesn't want to be here but will honor us with his presence until Nebraska calls. Screw that. 2 years is a BS demand and that is on him.

Do you tell your employer in the first interview what salary you want? Special requests you may have around work hours due to family obligations? Negotiations for less salary as a trade for more time off? You wait until you get an offer before bringing up stuff like that.

I would lay money that Coyle was taken aback by a sudden counter-offer/demand that the contract only be 2 years, after the initial tender was made. What do you say at that point? Thanks for your time, Darla will show you out. And you think, jeez, if he had said that up front he could have saved us both the time wasted. But that's not the way the game is played, so you deal with it and move on.

If Coyle had known that Frost would demand a 2-year deal, do you think Frost would have still been Coyle's first choice?

Frost wanting to be able to leave for Nebraska is not a secret.

Thinking he was locking him up for five years after he just put Mariota into the NFL and has had monster offensive seasons is ridiculous.

FIVE YEARS for a guy that probably has his Nebraska bags packed and waiting for the call is just as ridiculous as the two years.

It's why he shouldn't have been at the top of the list to begin with.

We needed our guy to be locked.