FSU Attendance: 37457 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Attendance: 37457

Complete waste of time if he’s spending one second wondering about crowd size. Imagine a guy like saban doing that? Control the controllable. That type of stuff should be irrelevant to a HC.

The crowd will come back if we finally start winning. If he is thinking of leaving bc of crowds we have zero chance. Even in the hay days we didn’t sell out every game
Perhaps looking at the empty seats helps motivate him.

Crowd that was there was great, loud on defense on more than just third down too.

The fact that FSU was down this year didn't bring alot of their own fans as they have in years past.

Was a bit disappointed with the SU fans leaving early though, I get that it was hot, but we haven't had a win like this in a while so enjoy the whole thing!

Crowd that was there was great, loud on defense on more than just third down too.

The fact that FSU was down this year didn't bring alot of their own fans as they have in years past.

Was a bit disappointed with the SU fans leaving early though, I get that it was hot, but we haven't had a win like this in a while so enjoy the whole thing!

I stayed for the whole game, but I can't blame people for leaving. The heat was oppressive and they ran out of water. Lol. How does that happen? That's pathetic

I will continue to say this. College football attendance numbers are declining across the country. Syracuse has been so ungood for 15 years that it's going to take a while before we consistently get 35k for a game again.

With the ease of watching the game from your phone, ipad or laptop nowadays (not to mention on your tv), it creates a massive reason for people to not have to go to a game in-person. Some people heavily value being in the stands, but most people feel otherwise. The trend is clearly in the "otherwise" category.

Dino and his team keep winning and the crowds will get slightly bigger, but they won't be like they were in the 80's and 90's again anytime soon.

Well said and there’s a lot of room for improvement between where we are at now versus the early 90’s.,

Going to the game is the best way to support the team. A full stadium is one of the best ways to recruit football players. If you want to enjoy the "comfort" of watching the game at home, bar, computer or on a phone that's your call but when a coach leaves for greener pastures because of the frustration of working his tail off to give this city , area and state a good team, don't whine about him leaving...seriously, shut the heck up because you have no right to say anything because you'd rather be comfortable at home/ect. This...is our biggest chance to help this team, to actually have some input but too many while watching on TV or the like would rather play coach and complain instead of making the situation better by actually going to the game.

Hey, I get it if you have to work, not able, are too far away, can't afford it or the like...that is understandable. But what drives me crazy is seeing this team run onto the Dome to a sparse crowd after working thier butts off and having it 70% full during an impact game (FSU) and then pretty much empty when it was over. You know what? It was hotter for the players than us and yes, it was hot and foolishly SU ran out of water but again...this is our chance to help this team, why not show up?

I honestly hope Babers understands that SU will never average 49K per game...ever. I also hope that he knows he has a solid base of people that have gone through some dark football times and have been consistently there for this team and show up each home game, some from pretty far away, and root for this team against the Wagners/Rutgers who suck to the Clemson teams that look like chiseled 27 year old men.
We as fans ask the players and staff to show up and play hard for 60 minutes each game, why can't we?

I will continue to say this. College football attendance numbers are declining across the country. Syracuse has been so ungood for 15 years that it's going to take a while before we consistently get 35k for a game again.

With the ease of watching the game from your phone, ipad or laptop nowadays (not to mention on your tv), it creates a massive reason for people to not have to go to a game in-person. Some people heavily value being in the stands, but most people feel otherwise. The trend is clearly in the "otherwise" category.

Dino and his team keep winning and the crowds will get slightly bigger, but they won't be like they were in the 80's and 90's again anytime soon.

Yeah. This definitely accurate. In addition, there are a lot other “requirements” as well that are having an impact. One is the massive requirements in youth sports these days. I could probably dig up a study but just based on experience there appear to be way more youth leagues, rec leagues, practices, fall ball, etc. across all sports. That is certainly in comparison to when I was growing up and I am 46.

That pulls a lot of people and their children out of the mix. It keeps some of the young kids from “growing up” six or seven times a year in The Dome and having that true affinity for Orange football.

When you start combining that with start times for a number of games that are fluid up until a few weeks in advance...it gets very hard to plan. When you toss in the number of losing seasons we have had in the last 15 and it clearly takes a toll in addition to the alternatives Rocco mentioned.

One other thing is the influx of International students. Many of those kids/young adults do not have American football built into their routine. I would really like to see SU have a welcome session for those kids that Dino and some players attend. Maybe provide some food. Do a chalk talk type of thing and maybe some other stuff to grow that portion of our fan base.

I really think we are close to turning the corner regarding attendance. Production value at the game was lacking on the videos at times (having to interrupt the ceremony for the Big East champs was a major flub). However, the environment in The Dome and outside has been very solid with Cuse on the Quad.

If this team has a respectable showing at Clemson and wins some of. The toss up games, I think people will be presently surprised at the turnout for Louisville in the home finale.

SUOrange44

The attendance "issue" (If you want to call it that) won't change this year. It will be small crowds the rest of the way. If Clemson (not saying they will just saying IF) puts up 50 on us in 2 weeks and blows us out the "casual fan" who doesn't follow this stuff religiously like all of us here will be like..."see, nothing changed." Looking at the 2019 home schedule aside from Clemson has no attractive home games really. The attendance will turn around when SU has about 5 or 6 winning seasons and bowl games in a row.

And when the DOME renovation is totally completed as many casual fans out of curiousity will want to see what the "NEW" Dome looks like, the attendance will get a small up-tick for that one year attendance wise. But its going to take many years of consistently going to bowls and winning 7 or 8 games before some people ever come back, just the reality of it.
Sounds like the “casual fan” has way too high of expectations in Syracuse. It’s NOT like that in other cities.

Sounds like the “casual fan” has way too high of expectations in Syracuse. It’s NOT like that in other cities.

What does this even mean?

Lot's of myopic views here on this issue. The attendance issue is nationwide and locally there are too are numerous factors one could delve into impacting attendance.

I took my family to the LSU game last year as that was a place i always wanted to see a game there. Tiger Stadium was not close to full. Many of their fans left after the half or during the second half, with the game far from decided. And many of their fans lament the fact that attendance is not what it once was there.

I never really studied economics (i know some of you on this board are actual economists so you could say this better), but to me, whether to attend a game can be boiled down to two questions: 1. Is it worth my time? 2. Is it worth my money? The answers to these questions are also correlated. Why are we soo critical (and "ashamed," and "embarassed," etc) by folks answering these questions in the negative?

There’s a ton of factors which influence attendance nationally, not just at Syracuse. Two that I haven’t seen mentioned:

1). Security. I’ve been going to sporting events for 30 years; it seems like every year the security requirements get more burdensome. When I was a student, I often had labs which would last until 7PM; I would head right to the Dome with my backpack so I could watch almost all the game. I don’t believe that would be allowed today. Knowing that, it’d be unlikely I’d bother with a student season ticket because I’d miss way to much of way to many games to justify it. I’ve passed on some events in the past couple years, partly because managing the security requirements was going to be too much of a PITA. The transition we’re in to a low-trust society is going to negatively impact any large social events, including sporting events.

2) Changing social behaviors (probably tied to low-trust society AND social media). I saw an article recently which said a current high school senior goes out publicly for leisure less than an eighth grader in the 90s. I think we see the impact of that in our student section, and that carries through to few recent grads or 20 something’s getting season tickets.

I don’t see many of the factors which negatively impact attendance changing, so I suspect schools and pro teams are all going to need to recalibrate themselves to a new reality.

There were thousands milling around the concourses throughout the day. It was dreadfully hot and humid...I took a shower as soon as I got home.

So did I. The AC can’t come soon enough. I can see why people would rather watch a game like this at home versus dealing with the heat and humidity. It was brutal in there.

The crowd looked very good on TV. I thought it was a lot more than 37k

That's because ESPN switched angles to the sideline view and zoomed in tightly. During the opening of the broadcast, it was nothing but silver in the upper deck.

Here's to hoping that the fans actually show up next Saturday against UConn. The team has done their part so far. Reward them with your presence.

What does this even mean?

Lot's of myopic views here on this issue. The attendance issue is nationwide and locally there are too are numerous factors one could delve into impacting attendance.

I took my family to the LSU game last year as that was a place i always wanted to see a game there. Tiger Stadium was not close to full. Many of their fans left after the half or during the second half, with the game far from decided. And many of their fans lament the fact that attendance is not what it once was there.

I never really studied economics (i know some of you on this board are actual economists so you could say this better), but to me, whether to attend a game can be boiled down to two questions: 1. Is it worth my time? 2. Is it worth my money? The answers to these questions are also correlated. Why are we soo critical (and "ashamed," and "embarassed," etc) by folks answering these questions in the negative?

You went when LSU wasn't good and there was serious heat on Coach O from the fanbase. Now that they are looking like a better team than in 2017, it will be packed.

I stayed for the whole game, but I can't blame people for leaving. The heat was oppressive and they ran out of water. Lol. How does that happen? That's pathetic
The concession stands can only hold so much product and are stocked pregame, which normally they do not go through. A day like yesterday was different and demand was extremely high.

So yes, the stands temporarily had no water (at the worst time, halftime, by us) but many were restocked in the second half from the main supply room.

The Dome didn't run out of water, should they have been more proactive, absolutely.

That's because ESPN switched angles to the sideline view and zoomed in tightly. During the opening of the broadcast, it was nothing but silver in the upper deck.

Here's to hoping that the fans actually show up next Saturday against UConn. The team has done their part so far. Reward them with your presence.

Part me thinks Wildhack dictated all the crowd shots.

We're not that far off. In October it's more appealing to sit in a Dome vs being outside. People will take notice of yesterday. It would be nice if we can take care of business against UConn and Pitt and take a 5-1 record out to drive.

SU should have a 3-pack ticket promotion for the final 3 ACC games. Maybe two price points, between the 20s and corner/end zone. Start that right after the UConn game, assuming we get to 4-0. Pump up that record as part of it.

CNY may not show up in high numbers, but they still pay attention to this team.

I’m not sure how many of you feel that a 3-0 start with a win over a down FSU means the casual fan (those that make the difference between 37k and a full house) should show up.

This team has been dreadful for years. Even under Dino, they’ve backed up big wins with shenanigans to end the season with a losing record.

I’m all in on Dino. I think this team is low key, pretty talented. I think we may be ranked again, if not this year, next... but it’s going to take more than the annual big home win to get casual fans back.

Whoop UCONN, show well at Clemson, beat Pitt and you have a 5-1 squad coming home to get bowl eligibile against UNC...that’s a start to rebuild the casual fan base.

Let’s be honest Florida State is down and it was beautiful outside in mid September...I think they picked the wrong month to have this game for crowd purposes

blame Swofford

there is still a fan base that doesnt attend because we had been bad. i stopped on the thru-way then at weedsport then at auburn.. several people asked about the game.. i heard some people talking that were shocked we beat FSU, some comments about perhaps being better. 15 yrs is almost a complete fan base skipped, it will take time to get back to consistent crowds.

We’ve been between mediocre and horrible for almost a generation.

With all the other factors mentioned in this thread, it will be a slow build in bringing back a larger crowd unless we went crazy and started this year 8-0 or something to slingshot us into the national spotlight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom