FSU Postgame Thoughts | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Postgame Thoughts

Almost felt like we were trying to give the game away. Played very lazy and lethargic. I'm hoping that it's just a quick turnaround and too high after the buzzer beater but idk that stunk. Season isn't totally dead but its circling the drain fast.

We've responded each time we've had adversity, Saturday now becomes a must win.

AKSHOOLY Bell briefly lost his starting spot last season.
BBRef is lying to me.
1706068914097.png

Red got worked by the last coach leaving him with a talent hole to dig out of
Something is up with Taylor. He was very highly ranked out of high school and was considered a very good recruit. Don’t understand the negative quips about SU recruiting him.

He was ranked #2 from Virginia. His offers were Syracuse, UNC, Virginia, Indiana and Va Tech. Just very strange how he’s regressed. He shot .393 from 3 last year in limited minutes. No doubt though recruiting him wasn’t the issue, his backsliding though is obviously an issue. Conversely, Maliq is over achieving his high school ranking.

I'm not going to suggest the change shouldn't be made. What I'll ask is, will it really matter that much? When he was out, we weren't much better. He only played 12 minutes.

Exactly it's not like playing Taylor is keeping us from being a top-25 team. It's not like there is a star behind Taylor and he is getting token starter minutes...

The fact is all of our options at forward are flawed. It doesn't matter who starts they will all get a chance and it seems the ones that are playing the best between Copeland - Bell - Benny - Taylor will get the most minutes. It doesn't matter which ones play they are all flawed and have big holes in their games. The really funny thing is our best forward plays center because our center position is just as bad as our forward position.

It is just a bad roster at the 3/4/5 we have 1 real player and those positions and it is Brown. Who plays the minutes at the other positions doesn't matter they are all basically the same player with different major flaws. Some can't score, some can't defend, and some can't be counted on from minute to minute. They are all flawed the only difference is some are crowd favorites and some aren't.

Well, it was pretty close for 30 minutes, and we had a solid lead at one point, 7 points, I think. But they wore us down in the last 10 minutes. Yes, if Judah hit say 4 of those 5 FT's he missed in the first half, we might have maintained our working margin for a few more minutes.

But we just didn't get enough offense from anyone other than Judah and JJ. We need at least another guy or two to hit 10 points, if we're going to beat decent teams.

We need to win the Clemson & NC State games to make up for this, along with Wake on the road.

Exactly it's not like playing Taylor is keeping us from being a top-25 team. It's not like there is a star behind Taylor and he is getting token starter minutes...

The fact is all of our options at forward are flawed. It doesn't matter who starts they will all get a chance and it seems the ones that are playing the best between Copeland - Bell - Benny - Taylor will get the most minutes. It doesn't matter which ones play they are all flawed and have big holes in their games. The really funny thing is our best forward plays center because our center position is just as bad as our forward position.

It is just a bad roster at the 3/4/5 we have 1 real player and those positions and it is Brown. Who plays the minutes at the other positions doesn't matter they are all basically the same player with different major flaws. Some can't score, some can't defend, and some can't be counted on from minute to minute. They are all flawed the only difference is some are crowd favorites and some aren't.
And that one good player is by no means elite. I know people on here are in love with him, but, at least right now, he's a role player. He would be a nice sidekick to a John Wallace or Billy Owen's or DC or Melo. But if he was a great player right now, this would've been a game where Red would've put the ball in his hands and told him to go to work to settle us down when we went into our lull.

Cant win in the modern game when you only make one three pointer.

Judah was fabulous, but had little help.

Maliq was his usual solid self, but he has trouble defending competent bigs, which FSU has.

Everybody else was on a continuum between mediocre and downright lousy.

Why didnt we go big to counter the FSU bigs ?? Hima had a block and a board in one minute of action. He should have gotten more run and Brown could have played some PF to try and clog the middle.

First time I think Red did a really awful job coaching and adjusting. He will learn.

I agree. I'd love to get back to the big dance. But an NIT appearance is a step in the right direction.

Reality (barring a magical run in the ACC tourney)

Still a success for year 1 red and given the state of things when he took over.

Classic “trap game” after the huge win on Saturday. Short turnaround.

Not at all surprising we got waxed.
What happened tonight has been a typical pattern for a number of years now. Time for a change.

I was troubled by our guards, mainly Judah, seemed hesitant and would pick up his dribble during a light press/ show press. It was if he wasn't confident in his ability to dribble through the situation. The announcers kept saying that he should go.

At the end of the day, Florida State played 12 guys and were fresh and energetic throughout the game. They were well coached, prepared and never looked tired. Meanwhile, our core guys were gassed midway through the 2nd half. Proves the point that we've made time and again, that it will take time to turnover our roster where we can have guys we can trust who can come in the game and not have a letdown.

This loss was annoying for multiple reasons. But at the top of the list is that this team isn’t even halfway through the conference schedule and I’d put my life savings on them playing in the noon 8/9 game at the ACC Tournament.

That's weird.

Check this out:

View attachment 236857

Assuming your stats and these notes are true, did he just straight up not play at all in some games, but otherwise has started in every game he's played?
Are the dates from those posts accurate? Of so, those are from last year.

Heard from a friend sitting near the bench. Near the end Autry tried to sub Benny in, Benny refused... Can someone confirm this?
Kick him off the tour Doug!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom