FSU Postgame Thoughts | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Postgame Thoughts

This loss was annoying for multiple reasons. But at the top of the list is that this team isn’t even halfway through the conference schedule and I’d put my life savings on them playing in the noon 8/9 game at the ACC Tournament.
For us east coasters start making those long lunch plans for Wednesday March 13

Are the dates from those posts accurate? Of so, those are from last year.
Yes, they are trying to determine if he played, and started, all games his freshman year as well as this year.

Are the dates from those posts accurate? Of so, those are from last year.
Yeah, I can’t remember if he was injured or suspended. But he has never been pulled from the starting lineup and then played in a game. The staff is obviously hoping/planning that he turns into a Shump or D-Nich.

Just bad looked like we’d run away with it and then just quit and got bullied. Judah going to the line every possession JJ being productive and everyone else going through the motions isn’t going to win you games.

ACC stinks no reason to throw in the towel yet.

This team will finish just like all of our other teams in the ACC. They will end up around 10-10 in the league. That’s their ceiling. People suggesting they were going to finish with 13 or 14 ACC wins are not watching. Hamilton sucked Judah right into his trap last night. Let him drive all night, but not facilitate for others. They beat him up and everyone else stood around. Their zone press was very effective in not allowing us to run any kind of offense. We broke the press and either JJ or Judah tried to do their thing while everyone else watched. We looked lethargic all night after a very emotional win on Saturday. I thought FSU looked bad in the first half. We could have been up double digits if we make some foul shots, but that happens. We were very good at the line in the second half. Copeland was in a fog all night. He was a total non factor In this game. Even Brown had a couple of fumbles. To be fair with Taylor, he’s having to guard opponents power forwards. He’s getting beat up. He made two great defensive plays last night, but can’t get any shots off. It might be a good idea to have some set plays designed to get Bell and Taylor some looks. It would force Judah and JJ to give up the ball. We need to win Saturday or there’s a four game losing streak about to happen. There’s little chance this team wins at BC or Wake.

I'll keep beating my dead horse. We need an inside scorer to be a stabilizer when our perimeter guys go in a drought. We can't solely depend on guards to drive to the basket or hit threes. There needs to be some sort of presence in the lane that is more than a guy that can score off dump offs from the guards and offensive rebounds. If we had one guy that could post up and score to keep us from going 5-10 minutes without a bucket, we wouldn't see these runs from other teams.
It’s actually hard to believe we’ve won this many games without having a post up scorer of any kind.

Well, it was pretty close for 30 minutes, and we had a solid lead at one point, 7 points, I think. But they wore us down in the last 10 minutes. Yes, if Judah hit say 4 of those 5 FT's he missed in the first half, we might have maintained our working margin for a few more minutes.

But we just didn't get enough offense from anyone other than Judah and JJ. We need at least another guy or two to hit 10 points, if we're going to beat decent teams.

We need to win the Clemson & NC State games to make up for this, along with Wake on the road.
Agree. At one point in the game no one at all was moving on offense and the offense became either Judah or JJ driving / forcing the ball to the hoop. Every single possession.

I’m not sure the hero ball is even Judah’s or JJ's fault. Bell had a very bad game, as did Copeland and Taylor. Benny was inconsistent last night. Malik was overmatched. Neither Judah or JJ had their outside shot going. Who were they going to pass to? That left one thing. Hero drive to the hoop ball. Last night exposed a lot of flaws.

It’s actually hard to believe we’ve won this many games without having a post up scorer of any kind.
When our guards get and stay hot or the other team doesn't have legit bigs we can deal with it. We're just an incomplete team and some other teams can exploit that. Hopefully, next year Red can build on what we have.

43 fouls called in a 40 minute game. swallow the whistle and let the boys play . rather unwatchable.
hyper sensitive reffing doomed the cuse in this game, imo

FSU's depth - already an advantage - became deadly in such a game

FSU has an interesting approach - if they constantly foul throughout games, it makes it hard for the refs not to call a lot on both teams...so any team without depth is up against a serious challenge vs such a team

FSU will not go far this season...once they play an equally sized team, they will lose

but they will have an advantage vs the majority of squads, imo

FSU was sagging off giving us open 3’s and they were ok with us driving and fouling. I dont get to many games, but watched pre-game and halftime shoot around and with the exception of Bell and Cuffe, nobody was making shots. We need to make shots to open up inside and 3’s are better than 2’s. Mintz needs to shoot more 3’s, Starling/ Copeland/ Williams need to hit some they take for us to have a chance.

Let down game after a thriller three days ago.

Copeland was invisible/bad. Hasn’t happened before.

This team is an odd collection of nine sophomores and not a needed leader a la a Kueth Duany.

Horrible, immature second half. But not throwing the baby with the bath water.

I will be surprised if Red doesn’t change up the starting five next game. Taylor needs a reset
i would be surprised

This is a very poor perimeter shooting team. If you can take away Judah's drives the offense will fall apart in a deluge of clangs. Eventually Leonard Hamilton figured this out and put 2 defenders on Judah to stop his drives and presto we couldn't score plus the longer we have to throw the ball around trying to get a shot the more times we will turn it over. We had an unusually good shooting game against Miami so the law of averages took over in the next game. It is what it is this year.

it’s a foundation year. We get Freeman and Moore next year. So far he’s on course. Would love to dance and still can, but it doesn’t define if it was a successful year.

The next two seasons will tell us more.

it’s a foundation year. We get Freeman and Moore next year. So far he’s on course. Would love to dance and still can, but it doesn’t define if it was a successful year.

Exactly. NIT is fine this year. I would say the expectation is to make the tournament in 2025. If he fails to do that you could consider his seat to be quite warm going into Year 3.

Kiyan and the gang the next and that’s when it gets fun

At the end of the day, Florida State played 12 guys and were fresh and energetic throughout the game. They were well coached, prepared and never looked tired. Meanwhile, our core guys were gassed midway through the 2nd half. Proves the point that we've made time and again, that it will take time to turnover our roster where we can have guys we can trust who can come in the game and not have a letdown.
seminoles have one dude in the top 50 ACC mpg. (darin green #25 31.1mpg) this is how they roll.

We need a good center who can score in the low post, and a guard who can make a 3. I think the best bet for the kind of center we need is a G5 kid who is a 6-8 or 6-9, 240 guy who can hit a 3.

Something is up with Taylor. He was very highly ranked out of high school and was considered a very good recruit. Don’t understand the negative quips about SU recruiting him.

He was ranked #2 from Virginia. His offers were Syracuse, UNC, Virginia, Indiana and Va Tech. Just very strange how he’s regressed. He shot .393 from 3 last year in limited minutes. No doubt though recruiting him wasn’t the issue, his backsliding though is obviously an issue. Conversely, Maliq is over achieving his high school ranking.
Was ranked around 170th, guys like Newton and Braswell were ranked around there, 7/8 years ago and for 40 years prior our worst players were barely out of the top 100. Unfortunately I don’t think Taylor can play at this level.

Something is up with Taylor. He was very highly ranked out of high school and was considered a very good recruit. Don’t understand the negative quips about SU recruiting him.

He was ranked #2 from Virginia. His offers were Syracuse, UNC, Virginia, Indiana and Va Tech. Just very strange how he’s regressed. He shot .393 from 3 last year in limited minutes. No doubt though recruiting him wasn’t the issue, his backsliding though is obviously an issue. Conversely, Maliq is over achieving his high school ranking.
If I remember correctly, JT was like a top 75 kid as a junior and was really bad during his last summer aau session and fell to below top 100.

Maliq and Quadir were like top 150-200 kids who have outperformed.

Was ranked around 170th, guys like Newton and Braswell were ranked around there, 7/8 years ago and for 40 years prior our worst players were barely out of the top 100. Unfortunately I don’t think Taylor can play at this level.

Seems like a great kid. Hardworking, played AAU ball with a lot of these guys. I just don't see the athleticism for him to get his own shot against P5 players, and we certainly don't run any serious kind of offensive sets to create easy shots for him. He would probably be a very good player down a level, playing for somebody like Richmond, VCU, College of Charleston, DePaul or Iona.

this was a depressing game

very winnable even though the score might not seems so

if they have only a slightly below average shooting game they probably win.

and these are the games not having mcleod really hurts...I think this is an orange win with him healthy...really miss him vs UNC too

overall, the team regressed so badly. they played like they didnt learn anything from the previous games of the season.

almost every single player had more turnovers than assists...only 7 assists on the game should never happen

1-14 from 3 and its almsot always going to be an L

I think a lot of these players are not used to being guarded by someone bigger than them or one they cant beat with athleticism...they are toast in that scenario.

Quadir's box score was horrific...he is such an all or nothing player...and usually a nothing vs bigger athletic teams, it seems.

the decision making and strategy just left so many unanswered questions throughout the game

i guess it is a bit common that theres a letdown after a big win...but this one was brutal.

red doesnt have a plan B that is viable a lot of the time...bc a lot of the players cant really make much impact, unfortuantely.

after 13 assists vs miami I was hoping judah culd get that going again but with no making any shots its hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom