FSU vs The ACC | Page 103 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

I am fine using that model starting in 2037. Why should SU give up revenue from 2025-2030 so FSU can make more money, only to leave in 2029? It makes SU poorer and the ACC less stable.

There is no reason to compromise.
Exactly this, as other has stated, I think this was leaked by FSU or Clemson, and conversations are in fact a proposal given by them to the ACC. I would tell them to pound salt. Having the contract end in 2030 just means that they announce they are leaving in 3 years. There is no upside in this to SU unless they know they have a landing spot.

I had a partner in business once, who felt he deserved some additional compensation over what I and the other partner were making. We voted 2-1 that if he received the additional money, we were entitled to same. So all three of us got a bump. Which is asinine, because it all came from the same pot. But it was the point of the matter. We were finished as partners by the end of the year, when I broke off.

The point is, a partnership cannot survive this kind of haggling. Someone needs to be an adult.
Giving a partner more because of who he is = stupid.
Giving him more because he's getting a commission and he sold more = motivational.
If the ACC agrees to paying more based on TV ratings, isn't that a commission?

Giving him more because he's getting a commission and he sold more = motivational.
I think we should get more based on number of ACCN subscriptions in our market. I wonder how much more money the State of New York brings in to the ACC thanks to us compared to rural Virginia. UVA can take credit for the DMV.

And my point with this is not to disparage VT. We all bring something to the table. We bring a large state and a lot of ACCN subscriptions.

It's definitely funny for FSU to be proposing this at a time when their TV ratings are about to go into free fall.

Also funny for Clemson to be a party to it since it's looking like they're about to slip from the #2 rated team to 4th or even 5th.

People will watch FSU just to see them lose and laugh at them. That's why I watched the Memphis game and hope to get to see Cal beat them.
For sure, there's an audience for that. But people who are just fans of college football will stop watching them, because they're not interested in watching a mediocre team try to claw their way to 6 wins and a crappy bowl game.

For sure, there's an audience for that. But people who are just fans of college football will stop watching them, because they're not interested in watching a mediocre team try to claw their way to 6 wins and a crappy bowl game.

Yeah, currently FSU is getting some train wreck can't look away ratings. But that will soon fade because it all just becomes uninteresting (but still funny to see the scores).

Dabo is going to get shorter term Boeheimed if they don't turn it around and he once again insists on avoiding the transfer portal. That's not a program that's had a sustained level of success over time.

This isn't the time to settle with them.

Scooch, was there historical ratings for Syracuse and Miami vs the rest of the Big East in the 90s? I would assume we were 1-2 in television ratings back then. Maybe WVU was a close 3rd but I wonder if there's a way to track our ratings when the going was good and if we could achieve a ratings bump similar to that one in the 90s (calculating the 100 diff ways television is diff now than it was).

I am just trying to figure out if there's a universe where in 2030 (after 3 playoff appearances and Fran Brown firmly entrenched at SU) we are the hunted again with regards to college football interest level

I would like to see the details behind this plan before passing judgement but on the surface i doubt that the Presidents approve it,

If they bring in additional revenue, then fine. But that isn’t the proposal. Nothing new is coming in.

If they change the model, ~50% of the schools will make more, ~50% would make less right? With ~50% making less money, how would they get 66% of the schools to approve this?

I am fine using that model starting in 2037. Why should SU give up revenue from 2025-2030 so FSU can make more money, only to leave in 2029? It makes SU poorer and the ACC less stable.

There is no reason to compromise.
This was proposed by Clemson and FSU, meaning that they may be finally seeing that they cannot win so that they are willing to settle.

Scooch, was there historical ratings for Syracuse and Miami vs the rest of the Big East in the 90s? I would assume we were 1-2 in television ratings back then. Maybe WVU was a close 3rd but I wonder if there's a way to track our ratings when the going was good and if we could achieve a ratings bump similar to that one in the 90s (calculating the 100 diff ways television is diff now than it was).

I am just trying to figure out if there's a universe where in 2030 (after 3 playoff appearances and Fran Brown firmly entrenched at SU) we are the hunted again with regards to college football interest level
Those ratings certainly exist, I just don't have access to them.

I can say, though, that in the late 90s/early 00s SU was the 3rd most popular team of fans in the northeast. That was based on extensive fan polling that tended to be correlated with TV ratings. Penn State was #1, ND#2 and SU #3.

I have little doubt that we could reclaim that position if we strung together some top 12 teams and a few playoff appearances.

Those ratings certainly exist, I just don't have access to them.

I can say, though, that in the late 90s/early 00s SU was the 3rd most popular team of fans in the northeast. That was based on extensive fan polling that tended to be correlated with TV ratings. Penn State was #1, ND#2 and SU #3.

I have little doubt that we could reclaim that position if we strung together some top 12 teams and a few playoff appearances.

So my point about 2030 is the right one. Maybe we are the ones who would want to see what's out there in 2030 vs Clemson and FSU. I think the ACC is a great home for SU. But I don't know what SU is in 2030. Is it Clemson, is it WF, is it a version of Syracuse we've seen for the past 20 years.

I think everyone looks backwards as to what colleges are worth to eyeballs around the country. When I decided to go to SU in early 90s I would say it was a compelling television product in football and basketball.

Not sure it's a risk they'd take with shrinking the GOR to 2030 but i think in 2030 the entire landscape changes again.

EDIT: Mind you 18 months ago I thought we may be destined for D1AA. I'm a fan as in fanatic

So let me get this straight...

Last year FSU and Clemson wanted "success based revenue sharing" based on wins and playoff appearances, as they were the ones "carrying the conference" and should be unequally compensated for such

Fast forward to 2024...

Now FSU and Clemson say "we want viewership based revenue sharing" because they suck at football but know that, in the short term, viewers won't take their eyes off the slow motion car crash

GTFOH

It's definitely funny for FSU to be proposing this at a time when their TV ratings are about to go into free fall.

Also funny for Clemson to be a party to it since it's looking like they're about to slip from the #2 rated team to 4th or even 5th.
Agree. Miami seems poised to have a really good season this year. If they finish with a better record than Clemson or FSU, but Clemson and FSU are getting ratings rather- than performanced-based money, how does Miami react? You can repeat this exercise for anybody who's not Clemson or FSU and still get the same answer - rather mightily P.O.ed at his "deal".

Agree. Miami seems poised to have a really good season this year. If they finish with a better record than Clemson or FSU, but Clemson and FSU are getting ratings rather- than performanced-based money, how does Miami react? You can repeat this exercise for anybody who's not Clemson or FSU and still get the same answer - rather mightily P.O.ed at his "deal".
It’s not the revenue that’s the prize, it’s the GOR ending in 2030.

So my point about 2030 is the right one. Maybe we are the ones who would want to see what's out there in 2030 vs Clemson and FSU. I think the ACC is a great home for SU. But I don't know what SU is in 2030. Is it Clemson, is it WF, is it a version of Syracuse we've seen for the past 20 years.

I think everyone looks backwards as to what colleges are worth to eyeballs around the country. When I decided to go to SU in early 90s I would say it was a compelling television product in football and basketball.

Not sure it's a risk they'd take with shrinking the GOR to 2030 but i think in 2030 the entire landscape changes again.

EDIT: Mind you 18 months ago I thought we may be destined for D1AA. I'm a fan as in fanatic
I think it's very difficult to forecast out more than a couple years at this point. The insatiable greed need to grow revenue might be quenched by PE getting involved. If that happens then conference expansion may not be as necessary.

Yes, giving benefits for TV viewers drawn is a commission as is giving benefits for championships won and rankings earned.

I would say that before long both BT and SEC will do both, because their Biggest Brands will not want to keep supporting their least brands. That language of 'can no longer support mouths to feed' that has been used by all those (schools, conference leaders, and network people) who keep acting to destroy all 'Major' conferences but the BT and SEC will certainly be used by the Ohio States and Alabamas, Michigans and Texases against the Rutgers and Miss States, the Northwestern and Vanderbilts.

It is coming. It will come to the ACC eventually even if FSU, Clemson, Miami, and UNC all have left. I assert that it is far better to come to the ACC now in hope that it buys much needed time, to get the ACC to a time when the market may have changed and the ACC will get a better deal, rather than to wait while doing nothing to keep the Biggest Brands (in football terms) content.

That said, I also am in favor of the ACC playing ball with ESPN and FSU, as long as the ACC gets stabilized permanently from FSU leaving. For example, if the ACC lets FSU go on the cheap, then ESPN must facilitate the ACC expanding with schools that definitely will help the league with viewers and football quality. With the possible exception of South FL, that means Big 12 schools such as Utah, Arizona, Arizona St, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, WVU, Cincy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom