FSU vs The ACC | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Again, this is the bottom line. If you’re a company trying to make money. Especially in a time when cable is going downhill. Why would you renegotiate with a conference that you signed till 2036 and you’re making money from? ESPN has 0 reason to negotiate. They would only be taking money out of their own pocket. And FSU and Clemson are stuck in the GOR. Literally 0 reason to help the ACC out. They have 0 fear of them leaving and they have the viewership and product to broadcast.

Swofford is the one that caused this. His parting gift to the ACC was to lock them into a deal until 2036 and give his son a parting gift with Raycom.

Again, this is the bottom line. If you’re a company trying to make money. Especially in a time when cable is going downhill. Why would you renegotiate with a conference that you signed till 2036 and you’re making money from? ESPN has 0 reason to negotiate. They would only be taking money out of their own pocket. And FSU and Clemson are stuck in the GOR. Literally 0 reason to help the ACC out. They have 0 fear of them leaving and they have the viewership and product to broadcast.

Swofford is the one that caused this. His parting gift to the ACC was to lock them into a deal until 2036 and give his son a parting gift with Raycom.
OTOH 2036 has allowed the conference to remain in place for many more years than it otherwise would have.

Why would you renegotiate with a conference that you signed till 2036 and you’re making money from? ESPN has 0 reason to negotiate. They would only be taking money out of their own pocket.
This obviously makes sense; ESPN has ACC signed to a below-market deal for the next 12 years.

And FSU and Clemson are stuck in the GOR. Literally 0 reason to help the ACC out. They have 0 fear of them leaving and they have the viewership and product to broadcast.

Unless politicians get involved, and in my opinion, that's likely to happen again with the scope of consolidation into Super Conferences that we are seeing.

Yep. But ESPN is complicit and has been running the ACC down for years now.

Swofford should have a saddam hussein sized statue in Syracuse, Boston, Pittsburgh, etc. Otherwise, this would have all fallen apart already. He gave us a stay of execution and potentially a very nice payday. Law of unintended consequences

This obviously makes sense; ESPN has ACC signed to a below-market deal for the next 12 years.

Unless politicians get involved, and in my opinion, that's likely to happen again with the scope of consolidation into Super Conferences that we are seeing.

Yep. But ESPN is complicit and has been running the ACC down for years now.
what are you talking about. FYI there are some really good discussions on the basketball board:}

Is it a below market deal? Based on TV ratings, you could say the football games involving FSU, Clemson, and ND are individually below market value, but the rest of the ACC football games are probably getting above market value which kind of evens out. As for the ACC Network, in the long run, I think it's a strong possibility due to cord cutting that the ACCN content gets rolled into the ESPN+ streaming product.

Quick question for those of you smarter than myself. Which is probably everyone. If college football becomes semi pro football, union and colleges paying the players, can the NFL start playing on saturdays? I will just stop watching the college games except when Syracuse is playing; and I will watch more NFL.
No, because Congress will step in. The NFL only exists in its current state because it has an exemption from the antitrust acts (allows for the common draft). Congress will threaten to revoke the exemption if even a rumor comes out that they're thinking of playing on Saturdays.

No, because Congress will step in. The NFL only exists in its current state because it has an exemption from the antitrust acts (allows for the common draft). Congress will threaten to revoke the exemption if even a rumor comes out that they're thinking of playing on Saturdays.

Congress doesn't care that they will play on Saturdays. That's crazy.

That's a longstanding tradition of letting college football have Saturday and HS have Friday. I think it's all coming apart at the seems. NFL should get rid of the MNF game and just do Saturday Night Football and then regular scheduled games on Sunday.

Congress will get involved with the non taxed model of colleges and how these pro college football teams work within it.

That's a longstanding tradition of letting college football have Saturday and HS have Friday. I think it's all coming apart at the seems. NFL should get rid of the MNF game and just do Saturday Night Football and then regular scheduled games on Sunday.

Congress will get involved with the non taxed model of colleges and how these pro college football teams work within it.
There are too many members of Congress (mostly from The South) in powerful positions that don't want the NFL playing on Saturdays and interfering with college games. The "showcase" college game is Saturday night. While folks in the Northeast may not think it is, a significant chunk of America does. And that chunk has enough votes to mess around in a very serious manner with the antitrust exemption if it gets angry.

There are too many members of Congress (mostly from The South) in powerful positions that don't want the NFL playing on Saturdays and interfering with college games. The "showcase" college game is Saturday night. While folks in the Northeast may not think it is, a significant chunk of America does. And that chunk has enough votes to mess around in a very serious manner with the antitrust exemption if it gets angry.

That's a crazy thing to die on...programming of sports to derail antitrust exemptions.

Teeth vs Tooth I guess in the senate

Hahahah this may be the funniest thing I have ever read. The NFL getting rid of football on a day of the week they already broadcast and have broadcast for years?

The NFL may possibly someday add Friday and Saturday games if it finds a way around the laws. However, they will never remove a game from Monday night. More product to sell. Prime example, Christmas Day football. NFL never used to play on Christmas. Then they started to get a little crazy playing on Christmas. Now they are playing a game on a Wednesday!!!! NFL will do everything for the all mighty dollar. Removing programming from a night of the weak is not in their wheelhouse. I wouldn’t be surprised if we start seeing Tuesday night games in the near future. Thursday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Tuesday to Sunday is 5 days. Sunday to Thursday is only 4 days.

Summary:

As laid out in Sports Business Journal, the NFL agreed to a league-wide broadcast deal in 1961, with Commissioner Pete Rozelle aiming to help smaller-market teams keep up with the clubs in major metropolitan areas. A federal judge, however, ruled that the deal was unacceptable on antitrust grounds.

Without directly parsing through all of the legalities, the SBA's allowances don't apply if a game kicks off on Friday night or Saturday "during the period beginning on the second Friday of September and the second Saturday of December in any year from any telecasting station located within seventy-five miles of the game site of any intercollegiate or interscholastic football contest scheduled to be played on such a date." There are certain criteria those college games have to meet, but today's big-time NCAA football easily checks those boxes.

My point was, if these two ”super leagues” are not intercollegiate, what would keep the NFL from going to saturday. If players are paid by the colleges, and not required to attend classes, they would be employees. Those teams would not be intercollegiate. IMO
The teams left behind would be intercollegiate, so the rule would apply.

Is it a below market deal? Based on TV ratings, you could say the football games involving FSU, Clemson, and ND are individually below market value, but the rest of the ACC football games are probably getting above market value which kind of evens out. As for the ACC Network, in the long run, I think it's a strong possibility due to cord cutting that the ACCN content gets rolled into the ESPN+ streaming product.

You could say the same thing about Big 10 games with Iowa vs. Minnesota, or SEC games with Vanderbilt against Ole Miss. There is more audience on the East Coast than in the South, and ACC teams have been in the playoffs, if not the Championship Game, nearly every year until last year's slight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom