FSU vs The ACC | Page 80 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

This article is just a spit in the face of FSU. The Big 12 rumors make a bit more sense now if they are basically been ostracized by BIG/SEC and probably the ACC now.

Several sources added they weren’t convinced they could “trust” Florida State as a new member.

“Look what they did: getting the attorney general involved, accusing [former ACC commissioner] John Swofford of rigging the television rights to help his son, filing a suit to expose ESPN’s TV deals — something the other three power leagues are against, by the way,” the source said. “They’re not a good partner. There’s no congeniality. No one wants that.

“It’s not about FSU getting out of the ACC’s Grant of Rights. They’re not a fit.”

Added another Big Ten source: “There are too many negatives; they’ve proven to be a disruptive partner. Even if you got them in a similar discounted rate as the Oregon and Washington deal, do you trust them as a partner?”

This article is just a spit in the face of FSU. The Big 12 rumors make a bit more sense now if they are basically been ostracized by BIG/SEC and probably the ACC now.

Several sources added they weren’t convinced they could “trust” Florida State as a new member.

“Look what they did: getting the attorney general involved, accusing [former ACC commissioner] John Swofford of rigging the television rights to help his son, filing a suit to expose ESPN’s TV deals — something the other three power leagues are against, by the way,” the source said. “They’re not a good partner. There’s no congeniality. No one wants that.

“It’s not about FSU getting out of the ACC’s Grant of Rights. They’re not a fit.”

Added another Big Ten source: “There are too many negatives; they’ve proven to be a disruptive partner. Even if you got them in a similar discounted rate as the Oregon and Washington deal, do you trust them as a partner?”
They sound like the new UConn. NewCon?

When petulant children (FSU AD) cannot play well with others, other kids don't want to play with the petulant child. What a surprise!
make playing GIF

i'm amazed at how badly strategic this move was by FSU and Clemson. They have now made themselves enemies of all conferences by pullling a fit. I always assumed there was a wink/wink invitation to be so brazen to publically divorce a conference that was by all accounts, top notch.

I'm taking back my prediction of a settlement because my assumptions about FSU having something in the back pocket was completely wrong. ACC should now just strip them of every conceivable benefit in the ACC. Make them pay the legal fees the conference endured

Everyone needs to remember that the exit fee is only half of the picture. So what if PE or a sugar daddy/mommy writes a check to pay the exit fee. They'd still have to to fork over their TV money to the ACC until the expiration of the GoR. Bigger shares of a bigger pot for everyone who stays.
Stop right there, common sense, legal reasoning, and sound business dealings have no place on a fan site! (Sarcasm off)

lol this is great hehe, not a good partner to boot based on their actions. Time for FSU to come back down to reality.
Their BS crazy boosters who run the show lost their minds when they were left out last year and the AD in order to save his arse went along with the mob. ACC needs to stay the course on this run it out till the well is dry. Time and the law are on the side of the league. I would bleed them for years as they will not win a judgement without years of appeals and no league is going to take them in without assurances that the TV revenue is rock solid.

This smells of the real power brokers of the ACC alligning with the SEC/BIG power brokers and creating a counter narrative of "you aren't going to get what you want by pouting". This story feels orchestrated by ND or UNC who may want to keep the ACC intact by reaching out to their buddies in the BIG/SEC to provide the sourcing for it. ND must be behind this...if i'm putting my rose colored conspiracy theory goggles on
The clown who runs the 12 circus is considered a jackass who i doubt Sank and the others care for.

i'm amazed at how badly strategic this move was by FSU and Clemson. They have now made themselves enemies of all conferences by pullling a fit. I always assumed there was a wink/wink invitation to be so brazen to publically divorce a conference that was by all accounts, top notch.

I'm taking back my prediction of a settlement because my assumptions about FSU having something in the back pocket was completely wrong. ACC should now just strip them of every conceivable benefit in the ACC. Make them pay the legal fees the conference endured
All aboard:)

Their BS crazy boosters who run the show lost their minds when they were left out last year and the AD in order to save his arse went along with the mob. ACC needs to stay the course on this run it out till the well is dry. Time and the law are on the side of the league. I would bleed them for years as they will not win a judgement without years of appeals and no league is going to take them in without assurances that the TV revenue is rock solid.
Time is on our side. Yes it is.

I think Clemson has handled this a bit better. They aren't in the media crying. The lawsuit is one thing, and obviously not ideal, but I don't think they're as much a pariah as FSU is.

I don't understand where the Big 12 is somehow this future media juggernaut with their absolute dog**** media markets and teams no one actually cares about. UCF and Cinci aren't draws. Iowa State and Ok State are the number 2 teams in tiny irrelevant poor states. WVU is the only team in an irrelevant dying poor state. The AZ schools, Utah and Colorado are their only really attractive teams from a marketing and competition perspective and they couldn't command any money with Washington and Oregon.

ACC markets are richer and more populated.

I think Clemson is just looking for uneven revenue shares.

I have said this before, FSU has gone full kook. No conference will want them until close to negotiations for the next TV contract. That is the only way to really add value. So this lawsuit is 5 years too early to even make sense. That being said, like I mentioned before no conference really wants them.

The PE stuff has become the new Tier 3 mantra for B12anon. Why would investors come in to pay off FSU's ACC TV rights, pay FSU $75M per year on top of that, all so they can get a piece of the B12's $850M a year TV contract? Great investment.

It is also funny that the B12 wasn't good enough financially with Texas and Oklahoma in it but if the B12 adds FSU and Clemson the conference will be on par with the B18 and SEC.

I have said this before, FSU has gone full kook. No conference will want them until close to negotiations for the next TV contract. That is the only way to really add value. So this lawsuit is 5 years too early to even make sense. That being said, like I mentioned before no conference really wants them.

The PE stuff has become the new Tier 3 mantra for B12anon. Why would investors come in to pay off FSU's ACC TV rights, pay FSU $75M per year on top of that, all so they can get a piece of the B12's $850M a year TV contract? Great investment.

It is also funny that the B12 wasn't good enough financially with Texas and Oklahoma in it but if the B12 adds FSU and Clemson the conference will be on par with the B18 and SEC.
i think uneven revenue shares for football is logical...for the teams that win the ACC. make it a competitive payout for the best team. if that team happens to be Syracuse great! The best team based on television ratings today vs tomorrow could be a totally different animal. I would bet Syracuse in 1992 was as big a draw as most of the SEC schools. I'd love to know what the ratings were for the Miami/SU game vs UT/Alabama or something. These things aren't straight line graphs of who cares about who.

let the winner get the biggest pie

i think uneven revenue shares for football is logical...for the teams that win the ACC. make it a competitive payout for the best team. if that team happens to be Syracuse great! The best team based on television ratings today vs tomorrow could be a totally different animal. I would bet Syracuse in 1992 was as big a draw as most of the SEC schools. I'd love to know what the ratings were for the Miami/SU game vs UT/Alabama or something. These things aren't straight line graphs of who cares about who.

I agree with these posts. Give $X more to the team that wins the ACCCG. A writer some years back said that some NFL teams will never get better because their owners have no reason beyond ego to field a winning team. If there was a financial incentive given to the owner of the winning SB team, then you'd see heaven and earth moved to improve the teams.

Do what the premier league does. Best team makes the most money, worst team makes the least. Incremental gains as it goes from worst to best.

I agree with these posts. Give $X more to the team that wins the ACCCG. A writer some years back said that some NFL teams will never get better because their owners have no reason beyond ego to field a winning team. If there was a financial incentive given to the owner of the winning SB team, then you'd see heaven and earth moved to improve the teams.
The pros get rewarded for bad performance which helps level the playing field, by getting the chance for the top talent in the draft not even counting the salary cap. In the college game there’s not even any pretense to have a level playing field.

LOL just saw Javadoc’s post - great minds blah, blah, blah:)

I really enjoy this thread, I'd just add that people (not in this thread, but even in the ether or even in reporting) are using "PE" as a catch all like it's a monolith.

Also, whatever your opinion on PE (in all variations), they (or any other source of injection of funds) isn't coming in without a much more solid plan for profitability.

Also, can you imagine someone from an Apollo or another PE dealing with a rich booster that made money off of like car dealerships that is totally irrational on how important FSU or Clemson is in the big picture of things?

Again, not a knock against FSU or Clemson (I actually like both teams, relatively), but come on.

PS: Please do not make this a pie fight about PE, I'm begging you.

I've said before, that if the Miami, Virginia Tech, and Syracuse of the late 1980's-1990's starts to show up ESPN will make sure there is a big 3 conferences.
We seem to be making a choice with Fran, now Miami, and Virginia Tech need to make some noise.
Need to have a big year, and hit the portal hard and do it again next year.

The 'noles didn't learn their lesson from all the bridges storz burned by filing lawsuits when they were left out of the then P5 club.

Regardless none of this helps out our current situation. It’s all negative publicity for a conference we are attached to. I think BIG12 at this point for those two teams and perhaps that it works to our benefit in the long run

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom