FSU vs The ACC | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

More FSU, Clemson to B12 chatter.
The "leak" probably came from Yormack's mouth. People who state this things have no clue how little money FSU has, recall that they could not fund the $100MM exit they floated last year. Regardless of their home court win in the Florida Court, the legal process has only begun and they lost in North Carolina which means that the trials may come forth and then the appeals, then the federal courts...

Clemson has more cash available and better donors but they don't have a lot to play with.

ESPN has yet to be brought in, the TV rights must be bought back. Ignore their arguments that the ACC has to deal with that issue, they both agreed to sell the rights to ESPN.

And then there are so many additional arguments.

And then both lose their argument about playing better competition and path to the championship.

Holy dumbass lateral move, Batman.
If true, which it maybe is, as FSU Administrators, Trustees, etc have to save face here and staying in the ACC is not saving face. The SEC has said no; the B1G, I doubt, will take them in full shares like they thought, as their “perceived“ self-value is seriously overvalued, so that leaves the B12 as the only other option.

Is it a smart move? No way in hell is it financially smart, even if the Big12 somehow manages to pay their exit fee for them, but it allows them to save face publicly and proclaim the evil ACC and ESPN forced their hand, which is a lie.

If true, which it maybe is, as FSU Administrators, Trustees, etc have to save face here and staying in the ACC is not saving face. The SEC has said no; the B1G, I doubt, will take them in full shares like they thought, as their “perceived“ self-value is seriously overvalued, so that leaves the B12 as the only other option.

Is it a smart move? No way in hell is it financially smart, even if the Big12 somehow manages to pay their exit fee for them, but it allows them to save face publicly and proclaim the evil ACC and ESPN forced their hand, which is a lie.
Then come the public claims against FSU trustees and the AD for abdicating their fiduciary responsibilities to the State of Florida and it's citizens.

At some point, you have to believe cooler heads will prevail. Losing large sums of money to save face and make a lateral move is poor business.

Pride mixed with arrogance and ignorance is always a dangerous cocktail to drink.

Then come the public claims against FSU trustees and the AD for abdicating their fiduciary responsibilities to the State of Florida and it's citizens.

At some point, you have to believe cooler heads will prevail. Losing large sums of money to save face and make a lateral move is poor business.

Pride mixed with arrogance and ignorance is always a dangerous cocktail to drink.

You'd like to think so but somehow I can see FSU at least, doing it to try to prove some point.

Bunch of DA rednecks run the show in arseahasse

How much money does FSU have? is that public info, since they are a public school? I keep reading that they can't finance their initial $100M proposal - so they don't even have that available?

How much money does FSU have? is that public info, since they are a public school? I keep reading that they can't finance their initial $100M proposal - so they don't even have that available?
Rumor has it that the B12, via private equity, has offered to pay their exit fee. We’ll see if that is true or not. If true, the Big12 is selling their soul to PE without having the money now to pay them back probably in hopes that their media deal will be increased in 6 years when it is up. That is a ton of money though and a PE wants a solid return on their investment. They will either look like a god or a goat in about 6 years.

Yep. College sports are all about passion for the team you're connected to in some way, not simply wanting to watch a select few top teams battle. If the team I care about is completely irrelevant, I don't care about what happens in the rest of the sport. If it comes down to just a few elite teams that are essentially a minor league, why would I not just watch the NFL and leave my Saturdays open? College football at that point would be just as interesting to me as minor league baseball or g-league basketball.

This^^^
It's the entire premise behind March Madness. Everyone tunes in to see some unknown Cinderella knock off the big bad wolf. It's the upsets that make the Tournament, not the chalk.

Question for attorneys: If B10 and SEC were in discussions with FSU, would that be considered tampering or something else that would be illegal?

Edit: Based on Mark's posted video, I think it would be actionable according to the guest.

Last edited:
That's a tough one. Their endowment is public, but endowments are not huge slush funds. Money is often tied to specific programs, etc..

BTW, FSU's 1B endowment isn't a lot. For example, Colgate has more money

Good watch. This lawyer says the ACC position is strong
Excellent Find, Mark. Thanks.

The attorney says the same thing every attorney outside Tallahassee and Clemson have said. Literally every school in the P4 and G5, every law firm that smelled a buck, and every person that was interested has attempted to figure a way to break this agreement.

When an ambulance chaser has a surefire method of making cash outside of his "specialty", run and hide. They are as convoluted as a sovereign citizen trying to get out of a traffic ticket and a expired license charge. (Watch some You Tube videos on sovereign citizens, they can be amusing).

Rumor has it that the B12, via private equity, has offered to pay their exit fee. We’ll see if that is true or not. If true, the Big12 is selling their soul to PE without having the money now to pay them back probably in hopes that their media deal will be increased in 6 years when it is up. That is a ton of money though and a PE wants a solid return on their investment. They will either look like a god or a goat in about 6 years.
That’s great news for the ACC if they leave and pay via PE. I think the certainty is fsu and Clemson want out no matter what

It’s just timing and money now.

Quicker payout and bigger payout should be the focus of the ACC.

That's a tough one. Their endowment is public, but endowments are not huge slush funds. Money is often tied to specific programs, etc..

BTW, FSU's 1B endowment isn't a lot. For example, Colgate has more money

Lot of public schools dont have huge endowments. They run off public budgets and private donations directly to the athletics. The athletic departments dont have to compete as much with academic donations either.

This will end the way many of the astute posters here predicted. With FSU staying right where they are.

Everyone needs to remember that the exit fee is only half of the picture. So what if PE or a sugar daddy/mommy writes a check to pay the exit fee. They'd still have to to fork over their TV money to the ACC until the expiration of the GoR. Bigger shares of a bigger pot for everyone who stays.

lol this is great hehe
This smells of the real power brokers of the ACC alligning with the SEC/BIG power brokers and creating a counter narrative of "you aren't going to get what you want by pouting". This story feels orchestrated by ND or UNC who may want to keep the ACC intact by reaching out to their buddies in the BIG/SEC to provide the sourcing for it. ND must be behind this...if i'm putting my rose colored conspiracy theory goggles on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom