FSU vs The ACC | Page 81 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

I just read an article about yesterday's SEC media day and it led me to check out the college football 2024 standings page on ESPN.com.

It's all so ridiculous and jarring.

16, 17 and 18 team conferences that are smashed together like a 4 year old playing with Play-Doh.

I just read an article about yesterday's SEC media day and it led me to check out the college football 2024 standings page on ESPN.com.

16, 17 and 18 team conferences that are smashed together like a 4 year old playing with Play-Doh.

*-Newbies

ACCSECBig 12Big 10Pac 12AmericanMWCCUSAMACSun BeltIndependent
Boston CollegeAlabamaBaylorIllinoisOregon StateEast CarolinaAir ForceFIUAkronAppalachian StateNotre Dame
ClemsonArkansasBYUIndianaWashington StateMemphisBoise StateJacksonville StateBall StateArkansas StateUConn
DukeAuburnCincinnatiIowaNavyColorado StateKennesaw State*Bowling GreenCoastal CarolinaUMass
Florida StateFloridaHoustonMarylandSouth FloridaFresno StateLibertyBuffaloGeorgia Southern
Georgia TechGeorgiaIowa StateMichiganTempleHawaiiLouisiana TechCentral MichiganGeorgia State
LouisvilleKentuckyKansasMichigan StateTulaneNevadaMiddle TennesseeEastern MichiganLouisiana
Miami (FL)LSUKansas StateMinnesotaTulsaNew MexicoNew Mexico StateKent StateLouisiana–Monroe
NC StateMississippi StateOklahoma StateNebraskaCharlotteSan Diego StateSan Houston StateMiami (OH)South Alabama
North CarolinaMissouriTCUNorthwesternFlorida AtlanticSan Jose StateUTEPNorthern IllinoisTexas State
PittsburghOle MissTexas TechOhio StateNorth TexasUNLVWestern KentuckyOhioTroy
SyracuseSouth CarolinaUCFPenn StateRiceUtah StateToledoMarshall
VirginiaTennesseeWest VirginiaPurdueUABWyomingWestern MichiganOld Dominion
Virginia TechTexas A&MArizona*RutgersUTSASouthern Miss
Wake ForestVanderbiltArizona State*WisconsinArmy*James Madison
California*Oklahoma*Colorado*Washington*
Stanford*Texas*Utah*Oregon*
SMU*UCLA*
USC*

We're going to be in an NWO Wolfpack and NWO Hollywood situation with these conferences.

Yep. College sports are all about passion for the team you're connected to in some way, not simply wanting to watch a select few top teams battle. If the team I care about is completely irrelevant, I don't care about what happens in the rest of the sport. If it comes down to just a few elite teams that are essentially a minor league, why would I not just watch the NFL and leave my Saturdays open? College football at that point would be just as interesting to me as minor league baseball or g-league basketball.
This is why so many professional leagues are embracing sports betting after already embracing fantasy leagues. Remove the "fans" rooting interest from a specific team and it does not matter whether the local or favorite team is horrible. All that matters is whether the Bills beat the spread or Allen throws for 300 yards and four touchdowns.

This is why so many professional leagues are embracing sports betting after already embracing fantasy leagues. Remove the "fans" rooting interest from a specific team and it does not matter whether the local or favorite team is horrible. All that matters is whether the Bills beat the spread or Allen throws for 300 yards and four touchdowns.
Don't forget the NBA. Larry O'Brien made a conscious decision when free agency came in for the league to emphasize the individual stars over the teams. How many Kevin Durant jerseys are there, 4? 5? More?

For as crazy as it is, the SEC's version of world domination at least has some semblence of geography. All contiguous states, just covers 2 time zones. I know, I know, outposts Austin, TX to Columbia, SC or Lexington, KY isn't exactly a day trip by car.

The B1G is just stupid by comparison. From adding Rutgers and Maryland based on cable boxes, and then bringing in the west coast and skipping a time zone altogether.

I have minimal hope that it's all consolidated in some way that makes sense. But minimal because I think there's too much greed to pull it off.

That works for some people. Never me. I watch sport for the sake of sport.

if FSU and Clemson are really leaving no matter what when does the ACC/ESPN try and negotiate with them about an increased payout via the tv extension that occurs in 2025? if they are so valuable to the tv deal wouldn't ESPN propose this to keep the ACC and all that content in check. I feel like there's a money solution here if the SEC/BIG are truly out of the picture.

if FSU and Clemson are really leaving no matter what when does the ACC/ESPN try and negotiate with them about an increased payout via the tv extension that occurs in 2025? if they are so valuable to the tv deal wouldn't ESPN propose this to keep the ACC and all that content in check. I feel like there's a money solution here if the SEC/BIG are truly out of the picture.
I think this places the cart before the horse. FSU and Clemson must:

1) win the right to leave the ACC in court (after all appeals and such)
2) prove they have the financial resources to pay the exit fee and the rights buy backs
3) must obtain BOT approvals
4) must actually provide notice that they will leave the ACC

Until that point, the matter is only a threat. Under the first point, FSU and Clemson face a steep uphill battle as several on here have notes and a few outsiders have delineated in detail. Until this hurdle -or should I say chasm - all other points are moot.

Under the second point, as it stands neither school has the resources at hand to leave immediately, making all other points moot.

Under the third point, the BOT have the fiduciary duty to make sure the overall deal is good for the school. Unless FSU and Clemson can get out for less than $100MM, it is not likely to be a sound financial decision upon a close scrutiny by financial minds.

ESPN should proceed as if FSU and Clemson are staying out in the ACC. Ignore clickbait generators and idiots who pretend to know:

- business
- contract law
- intellectual property law/entertainment law (GOR)
- negotiation tactics

Watching Hollywood is not like the real world. Fast deals can only be made by novices or when highly experienced professionals know the material and want to work with each other. FSU's AD is neither a highly experienced professional in this arena nor does he wish to work with anyone. He is attempting to force his will on 14 other schools with equally or higher skilled professionals.

Just my take.

I do not disagree, but I wonder if we are becoming outliers. I even stopped playing fantasy football after realizing I cheered for an opposing team's touchdown against the Packers while I sat at Lambeau Field (my local and favorite team) because I had the wide receiver on my fantasy team.

I do not disagree, but I wonder if we are becoming outliers. I even stopped playing fantasy football after realizing I cheered for an opposing team's touchdown against the Packers while I sat at Lambeau Field (my local and favorite team) because I had the wide receiver on my fantasy team.
I wonder how much that stuff affects viewership. People can just check post game stats and scores if you're in it for the betting/fantasy football. I wouldn't waste my time watching whole games.

2) prove they have the financial resources to pay the exit fee and the rights buy backs

Until that point, the matter is only a threat. Under the first point, FSU and Clemson face a steep uphill battle as several on here have notes and a few outsiders have delineated in detail. Until this hurdle -or should I say chasm - all other points are moot.

Under the second point, as it stands neither school has the resources at hand to leave immediately, making all other points moot.

Under the third point, the BOT have the fiduciary duty to make sure the overall deal is good for the school. Unless FSU and Clemson can get out for less than $100MM, it is not likely to be a sound financial decision upon a close scrutiny by financial minds.

ESPN should proceed as if FSU and Clemson are staying out in the ACC. Ignore clickbait generators and idiots who pretend to know:

- business
- contract law
- negotiation tactics

Watching Hollywood is not like the real world. Fast deals can only be made by novices or when highly experienced professionals know the material and want to work with each other. FSU's AD is neither a highly experienced professional in this arena nor does he wish to work with anyone. He is attempting to force his will on 14 other schools with equally or higher skilled professionals.

Just my take.
Stop it! Please Stop making sense.

This was what I was told back in November by a source who would know. Needless to say, I'm glad to see it here again.
I dunno. This seems like conference speak for dream job. That can say that until they don't. Right now it probably doesn't make sense, but how else does the BIG get a foothold in the SE?

The BIG would be silly not to want multiple schools in the region, and I don't think the BIG is silly.

- business
- contract law
- negotiation tactics

Just my take.
Maybe he could throw $1M Wildhack's way for advice from someone who, you know, knows something.

I like to bet and not watch. It's fun just playing a couple games and waking up to see if I won.

- business
- contract law
- negotiation tactics

Just my take.
Point 4 is covered in their filing. It states that if they prevail on the claims, the filing serves as notice that they officially are withdrawing as of so and so date.

I dunno. This seems like conference speak for dream job. That can say that until they don't. Right now it probably doesn't make sense, but how else does the BIG get a foothold in the SE?

The BIG would be silly not to want multiple schools in the region, and I don't think the BIG is silly.
There are a lot of reasons to not take FSU. They can still get into Florida and the South without the headache.

But does a league as filthy rich as the BT need to gtke on th headache that FSU is? Nope.

The BT getting multiple schools in the South should focus on coming to own VA and NC, and then adding AAU schools GT and Miami. To won VA and keep the DERC out, the BT would need to take non-AAU VT, and in NC to take non-AAU NCSU. That would open the door to take non-AAU Clemson . And if the BT wants a 2nd schools in FL, there AAU member South Florida, which has a BT size student body of about 50K.

All of that should nudge Disney to realize it is best off by paying the ACC what it is worth.

But does a league as filthy rich as the BT need to gtke on th headache that FSU is? Nope.

The BT getting multiple schools in the South should focus on coming to own VA and NC, and then adding AAU schools GT and Miami. To won VA and keep the DERC out, the BT would need to take non-AAU VT, and in NC to take non-AAU NCSU. That would open the door to take non-AAU Clemson . And if the BT wants a 2nd schools in FL, there AAU member South Florida, which has a BT size student body of about 50K.

All of that should nudge Disney to realize it is best off by paying the ACC what it is worth.
Like parts of your post, but as I have said. Syracuse, Miami, and Virginia Tech need to be the teams of the 1980's and 1990's.
Then ESPN would pay to keep the League whole, because you would have 5 top 16 teams most every year.
Hiring Fran and his coaches seems to be a step in the right direction.

Saw a similar thing at a hockey game. Caps fan walking out of the arena after the Caps lose to the Rangers, "Well at least I had {Rangers defenseman who played really well} on my fantasy team."

Well, that doesn't work without a basis for a rooting interest, in my opinion.

"Sport for the sake of sport" reminds me of an e-Football show I saw on TV a few times last year. It was like someone playing Madden football, but all the teams and players were made anonymous.

So, you have 2 football gamers "announcing" a game where you don't who any of the players are, let alone, who are the good ones, what are the standings, the rivalries, what are their backstories, etc.

It makes it kind of pointless to me, like watching basketball played in another country. Sure, it's kind of entertaining if you're there, but would you ever make time to watch this on TV? Why, right?

If you like e-Sports that much, you can just go play Madden against your friend, or against other people online. I just don't get it.

College sports is going that way with the reinvention of every team's roster every year. There is more continuity on teams in the pros than there is in college now. That hurts the product.

You don't build lasting memories of players if they only stay for a year or two, and leave just as they're starting to get good. Add in NIL, and that's where we're at now.

Geographic and historical rivalries continue to diminish, with every conference move.

College sports is barely watchable if it isn't your team.

The B1G and SEC will wait until the GOR is up. Even UT and OU had to figure their own way before the SEC would let them in. Both were going to wait out the GOR and then move. UCLA and USC waited out the GOR.

The real issues are how good are the ACC, B1G, and SEC in 2036. I think the reality is that several former big dogs are going to feel much smaller and pine for smaller conferences, or at least formalized divisions of the former conference sizes (at least 6 teams, probably 8 - my guess, no inside info).

Is status quo holds out until 2936, I would expect FSU and Clemson to take off to greener pastures and the ACC will get picked over to fill the monster conferences. Again, just a guess, no inside info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom