FSU vs The ACC | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

I can’t believe that we spent the least on football in the ACC with all the facility upgrades. I imagine with the new roof and the climate changes regarding so little snow the last few years, that maintenance costs have really decreased though. BC spent more - hard to believe.

Yikes...we need to step it up (and probably have). We're for sure getting left behind in realignment if we stay dead last
I can't let another of these moments go by without adding... why do we have to spend more? Isn't winning all that matters?

According to that chart - and I am always skeptical of numbers reported by private colleges - the total was $26.8M. Say that the cost of schollies is $75K per year per player, that's $6.4M. Say that we paid $10M total in salary for coaching and support staff. That still leaves $10M. So what is that $10M going toward? Is that not enough to cover costs?

Florida State says they spent $76.5M on football (!!!!!). Seriously, on what? I think they need to look to the NFL because even the B1? distribution doesn't cover that. And I absolutely want there to be a league for college football at this point, where the rules forbid a college from spending that much money on football. Enough is enough.

The knee-jerk reaction of "we need to spend more, look at what the neighbors are doing!" is what drives this absurd, escalating spiral. And again I ask, on what?

I can't let another of these moments go by without adding... why do we have to spend more? Isn't winning all that matters?

According to that chart - and I am always skeptical of numbers reported by private colleges - the total was $26.8M. Say that the cost of schollies is $75K per year per player, that's $6.4M. Say that we paid $10M total in salary for coaching and support staff. That still leaves $10M. So what is that $10M going toward? Is that not enough to cover costs?

Florida State says they spent $76.5M on football (!!!!!). Seriously, on what? I think they need to look to the NFL because even the B1? distribution doesn't cover that. And I absolutely want there to be a league for college football at this point, where the rules forbid a college from spending that much money on football. Enough is enough.

The knee-jerk reaction of "we need to spend more, look at what the neighbors are doing!" is what drives this absurd, escalating spiral. And again I ask, on what?
Yeah, there's no context as to what the money is being spent on, so we have know idea how each school arrives at their number.

Man our return on hoops is awful
They probably split the major overhead costs for the dome between football, basketball, maybe lacrosse too. It would be interesting to see if splitting the expenses of using the dome for 3 sports is really advantageous for the football team rather than having 3 separate facilities for each sport. (especially if they use the number of games, length of season to split those expenses so basketball would be the major cost for the facility)

FSU definitely spends on football like an SEC school.

Everyone is spending money trying to get into the super conferences that everyone isn't going to get into.

The quality of the visiting teams is about to improve over what the faced in the AAC. UVa has a bunch of Alums in Texas. I would imagine UNC and Duke do as well. They don't have an 800 mile trip one way. I regularly make fun of posters on our board whose primary consideration for who we should play OOC is whether they can drive to the away game.
If you look at their top home games over the past 6 years with Navy, TCU, UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston, the only game to sell out was TCU (40 miles away) and the others had attendance between 16k and 24.6k even though SMU has been ranked. SMU fan interest is similar to Wake Forest, but Wake can get local opposing team fans to attend games. SMU is a really nice private school but it will be the second smallest school in the ACC and the second smallest school in the P4. The main reason they are in the ACC is that they were willing to take zero media money.

If you look at their top home games over the past 6 years with Navy, TCU, UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston, the only game to sell out was TCU (40 miles away) and the others had attendance between 16k and 24.6k even though SMU has been ranked. SMU fan interest is similar to Wake Forest, but Wake can get local opposing team fans to attend games. SMU is a really nice private school but it will be the second smallest school in the ACC and the second smallest school in the P4. The main reason they are in the ACC is that they were willing to take zero media money.
I would emphasize 2 factors:

Deep-pocketed boosters.
Location.

SU should start the accreditation process for the AAU so that they have that going when all of these changes take place which will be when the Big 12 contract is up. We need to be positioned for the Big 10. Not saying we will get in but the accreditation process being in motion will help.

SU should start the accreditation process for the AAU so that they have that going when all of these changes take place which will be when the Big 12 contract is up. We need to be positioned for the Big 10. Not saying we will get in but the accreditation process being in motion will help.
Yep, have been saying the same thing. Not going to be an easy/fast process, but nothing worth having is easy.

On a tangent--What college sponsors the most D-I athletes? Cornell!!
not sure that is true when you factor in Cornell has sports that Cornell does not budget at all and are self-funded. Whatever the term sponsors means, I guess.

What happened to the medical school to be developed for veterans' health needs?

While I agree with you it comes down to the future vision of the University from the SU Administrators and Trustees. We walked away from AAU, from my understanding, as the AAU organization was going much more STEM including a heavy focus on Medical. We simply don’t have a Medical program which is a HUGE issue for the school overall IMO. UpState Med is right there and could easily be incorporated into SU but that would take SU becoming a hybrid school like Cornell & Pitt for example and from what I have heard, the Trustees, etc like their sole private status and no interference (or limited anyway) from Albany. While we are going there, the Engineering program and Computer Science programs could be improved as well. Adding in a satellite campus downstate such as taking over SUNY Purchase under the SU umbrella for example would be a huge boost as well. It‘s a lack of vision and expanding the current thinking that is holding SU back IMO.

While I agree with you it comes down to the future vision of the University from the SU Administrators and Trustees. We walked away from AAU, from my understanding, as the AAU organization was going much more STEM including a heavy focus on Medical. We simply don’t have a Medical program which is a HUGE issue for the school overall IMO. UpState Med is right there and could easily be incorporated into SU but that would take SU becoming a hybrid school like Cornell & Pitt for example and from what I have heard, the Trustees, etc like their sole private status and no interference (or limited anyway) from Albany. While we are going there, the Engineering program and Computer Science programs could be improved as well. Adding in a satellite campus downstate such as taking over SUNY Purchase under the SU umbrella for example would be a huge boost as well. It‘s a lack of vision and expanding the current thinking that is holding SU back IMO.

Are these sorts of decisions made with the football team in mind? (I hope not.)

Are these sorts of decisions made with the football team in mind? (I hope not.)
I doubt it but the the sentiment, thought, and vision still stands without football. With football, it’s all about winning, pro sports, and media viewership now and academics isn’t relevant much anymore.

Last edited:
I think the biggest takeaway from the ACC meetings earlier this week was that the ACC contract with ESPN goes to 2036. This was confirmed by Jim Phillips.

And so Greg Swaim remains wrong on everything he has ever posted.

Dick Weiss has great contacts for college basketball and if he was talking about hoops, this might be more credible. I think this goes back to The Magnificent Seven and McMurphy the Idiot. And I suspect it is more a hope from a fervent old man yearning for a long dead great conference to come back than anything close to reality.

But I am glad Dick is still alive and still (apparently) wearing that fabulous toupee. Will done Dick. I hope you are around for a long time my friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom