Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Do it outside. Lots of CNY colleges do it, including Le Moyne, Cornell and others.

Again, where do you hold graduation? The quad is not big enough to seat thousands of students and their families. Skytop? Graduating in the Dome is a unique experience. If you're Maxwell/Arts and Sciences and Newhouse, you actually get to hear your name called in the Dome as you walk across the stage. My dad loved that part of the ceremonies.

Do it outside. Lots of CNY colleges do it, including Le Moyne, Cornell and others.

Cornell uses their football stadium, and LeMoyne doesn't have 4000 grads and 15,000 spectators.

That leaves NBT Stadium ... only if the Chiefs aren't home that weekend.

Keep them wheels spinning. Three rules of engineering/construction: you can have it right, cheap, or fast. Pick two. SU is trying to figure out how to do all three.

Cornell uses their football stadium, and LeMoyne doesn't have 4000 grads and 15,000 spectators.

And NBT is miles away from the campus. People get hotels near the university to avoid having to travel from outside of the city.

Again, where do you hold graduation? The quad is not big enough to seat thousands of students and their families. Skytop? Graduating in the Dome is a unique experience. If you're Maxwell/Arts and Sciences and Newhouse, you actually get to hear your name called in the Dome as you walk across the stage. My dad loved that part of the ceremonies.

Both good points, but if they are going to be serious about trying to eventually do renovations without disrupting football or basketball seasons, then they are most likely going to have to find alternatives for lacrosse games and graduation ceremonies. I find it hard to believe that they could get all of the work they needed done between mid-May and mid-August.

Both good points, but if they are going to be serious about trying to eventually do renovations without disrupting football or basketball seasons, then they are most likely going to have to find alternatives for lacrosse games and graduation ceremonies. I find it hard to believe that they could get all of the work they needed done between mid-May and mid-August.

Done in phases over a number of years like Madison Square Garden. They avoided disrupting the Knicks and the Rangers by doing everything from when their respective seasons ended to when the pre season began over a course of three years.

NBT Stadium or the Lakeview Amphitheater are the only options.

Done in phases over a number of years like Madison Square Garden. They avoided disrupting the Knicks and the Rangers by doing everything from when their respective seasons ended to when the pre season began over a course of three years.

Sure, for the other work, but I don't really know if a new hard-top roof can be done in phases.

NBT Stadium or the Lakeview Amphitheater are the only options.

I would think the amphitheater would be the only real option. The Chiefs seem pretty unwilling to let anyone else use their field (even if the county technically owns it), and especially not during baseball season. Plus, they would have to schedule a decent-length road trip out to coincide with commencement.

I would think the amphitheater would be the only real option. The Chiefs seem pretty unwilling to let anyone else use their field (even if the county technically owns it), and especially not during baseball season. Plus, they would have to schedule a decent-length road trip out to coincide with commencement.

The grads can sit, and everyone else stands on the lawn.

The Oncenter capacity for floor events is 8,000. IMO, the Quad is big enough for the event, too. When I got my master's degree at Duke, graduation was on the East Campus Quad. When I graduated from SU in the dark ages, graduation was in Archbold.

how many kids are we talking about in one of these things?
SU will award about 5100 degrees on May 14th. Many of them don't bother to go to commencement since the degrees are mailed to them afterwards and each college also has their own convocation. 19% of the students this year are from other countries so families don't normally attend the ceremonies. I would guess that families that do attend would number 3-4 people each.

many schools limit who can come because of lack of a facility. you could have it in manley and put up temp. bleachers too.

Wouldn't that put the market at $3M+ for the Dome - which is home to multiple sports and significantly more televised games?
I would think the local market has a lot to do with dictating value. Agree that the dome gets more exposure but Syracuse is still a small market so I would think the value would decline.

I would think the local market has a lot to do with dictating value. Agree that the dome gets more exposure but Syracuse is still a small market so I would think the value would decline.

I'd ballpark IF they can get out of the carrier deal ... somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 years, $35 million. Somewhere around 2-2.5 million per year.

However - that's going to be interested since as far as we know it's a 'lifetime deal' with Carrier

SU will award about 5100 degrees on May 14th. Many of them don't bother to go to commencement since the degrees are mailed to them afterwards and each college also has their own convocation. 19% of the students this year are from other countries so families don't normally attend the ceremonies. I would guess that families that do attend would number 3-4 people each.

I don't know when you graduated but this isn't true at all. I have pictures from my commencement and student seating was from each 10 yard line without an empty seat in sight.

I don't know when you graduated but this isn't true at all. I have pictures from my commencement and student seating was from each 10 yard line without an empty seat in sight.

SU's pretty good at putting on the event - they take into account a certain percentage of no-shows and distribute seating accordingly. Some non-insignificant number of graduates doesn't show for the big event for a number of reasons (especially travel plans and the fact that it's an impersonal ceremony that was preceded by a school-specific real thing earlier in the weekend).

From last year's D.O.

051015_N_Commencement2015_LoganReidsma_APE-71.jpg

From last year's D.O.

Section #3 belongs to the Law School, and all the Masters Candidates.

Section #4 belongs to the School of Visual and Performing Arts.

The A&S sections are filled, as are the Newhouse and Whitman sections.

From last year's D.O.

While you attempted to disprove my point by posting a picture of masters students, could you explain the other thousand or so students seated from the 30 yard line on down?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom