Future Campus Framework Discussion | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Are we ever going to hear anything on the dome?
I am sure we will. The project won't just quietly go away.

I know there are people on the board privy to rumors. FYI, it is okay to post rumors you have heard. They would be manna from heaven to the people starving for a bit of news on this...

The only rumor I heard is they still were trying to secure funding that is needed for the project. I would assume they are doing this through Kent and Wildhack's fundraising initiatives.

How about a dedicated thread to Development Within the Current Footprint of the Carrier Dome?

I am hearing the budget is getting cut daily for this "HUGE" renovation. Scope of work shrinking daily.

Hearsay? Sure but thinking it's pretty accurate

Instead of a gondola, wouldn't it be cheaper to just put in a zip line?

I would pay good money to see you come in on that thing... I would recommend the N/A beers and lite menu prior to getting on it!! :):):)

I have also heard the scope of work is being cut way back. It's a shame, the dome is an out of date bubble, with very poor fan and athlete amenities. Look no further then the babers locker room video.

If true, I suspect Coach Babers may take from that the same cue Doug Marrone did and bail at the soonest opportunity. But for now I'll try to remain optimistic.

If true, I suspect Coach Babers may take from that the same cue Doug Marrone did and bail at the soonest opportunity. But for now I'll try to remain optimistic.
Hope not

Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly announced Wednesday that a Campus Facilities Advisory Board will be formed, partly because of the campus-wide controversy that the $6 million University Place promenade caused last spring and during the summer.

The board, announced at the first University Senate meeting of the semester, will assess all academic and non-academic investments within the Campus Framework plan. The meeting also included a discussion on the university’s position on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy.

Wheatly will co-chair the board with Vice President and Chief Campus Facilities Officer Pete Sala. Professor Catheryn Newton, special adviser to the chancellor and provost for faculty engagement, will serve as the lead faculty adviser to the board. Other board members will be announced this week.

“This board will be charged with developing best practices for all the campus engagement, decision-making and communication in regards to renovation, new construction and best use of facilities,” Wheatly said.

Wheatly said the new committee was created in response to the Senate and its requests for more transparency and communication about the infrastructure on campus, specifically renovations. She said the administration can do a better job at collaborating with the rest of campus, and that the board will hopefully create “a flow of information so we get broader input on some of our decisions” regarding facility renovations.

I have also heard the scope of work is being cut way back. It's a shame, the dome is an out of date bubble, with very poor fan and athlete amenities. Look no further then the babers locker room video.
Look it makes sense. I always felt the admin was almost anti-sport. Never got that sense with Kent but maybe he cannot control the hounds. But the thought of SU springing a few hundred million for a Dome renovation always seemed like a pipe dream.

Instead of a gondola, wouldn't it be cheaper to just put in a zip line?
A zip line running parallel to the midway would be a huge hit. I've suggested it in the past.

This is so depressing. Who makes the decision to cut back? It's not like they were proposing a $3B project initially. Don't bother with the reno if that's the case. Mahoney - who is a big SU fan - is tight with Cuomo. That's why we're getting all this state fair $$ - because it is outside city limits. Maybe wait for Miner to leave office and see if we can renew talks with the state then. Go big or go home.

This is so depressing. Who makes the decision to cut back? It's not like they were proposing a $3B project initially. Don't bother with the reno if that's the case. Mahoney - who is a big SU fan - is tight with Cuomo. That's why we're getting all this state fair $$ - because it is outside city limits. Maybe wait for Miner to leave office and see if we can renew talks with the state then. Go big or go home.
There is that rumor floating around also. Su is waiting on miner to be gone so a new mayor can work with Mahoney on either the full renovation or a new stadium off campus. I do have an issue with state money being used in this case. Like before syracuse put in a minimum dollar amount and gets full use of the stadium. If the state or country is funding part of it the local schools should have free access to the stadium. Why are the city schools paying to use the stadium that was partly funded by the state.

There is that rumor floating around also. Su is waiting on miner to be gone so a new mayor can work with Mahoney on either the full renovation or a new stadium off campus. I do have an issue with state money being used in this case. Like before syracuse put in a minimum dollar amount and gets full use of the stadium. If the state or country is funding part of it the local schools should have free access to the stadium. Why are the city schools paying to use the stadium that was partly funded by the state.
Not sure what Miner has to do with a full renovation of the dome though I doubt the state would fund the entire thing for a private university. Miner would have nothing to do with it and would have no say in it.

For the stadium that was to be built in the city, SU would not have been owner...only a tenant and would have had to pay rent like any other tenant. The benefit to SU is no large cash outlay and no maintenance.

Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly announced Wednesday that a Campus Facilities Advisory Board will be formed, partly because of the campus-wide controversy that the $6 million University Place promenade caused last spring and during the summer.

The board, announced at the first University Senate meeting of the semester, will assess all academic and non-academic investments within the Campus Framework plan. The meeting also included a discussion on the university’s position on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy.

Wheatly will co-chair the board with Vice President and Chief Campus Facilities Officer Pete Sala. Professor Catheryn Newton, special adviser to the chancellor and provost for faculty engagement, will serve as the lead faculty adviser to the board. Other board members will be announced this week.

“This board will be charged with developing best practices for all the campus engagement, decision-making and communication in regards to renovation, new construction and best use of facilities,” Wheatly said.

Wheatly said the new committee was created in response to the Senate and its requests for more transparency and communication about the infrastructure on campus, specifically renovations. She said the administration can do a better job at collaborating with the rest of campus, and that the board will hopefully create “a flow of information so we get broader input on some of our decisions” regarding facility renovations.
This almost guarantees that nothing will get done.

Isn't this what the board of trustees and campus planners are for?

Not sure what Miner has to do with a full renovation of the dome though I doubt the state would fund the entire thing for a private university. Miner would have nothing to do with it and would have no say in it.

For the stadium that was to be built in the city, SU would not have been owner...only a tenant and would have had to pay rent like any other tenant. The benefit to SU is no large cash outlay and no maintenance.
The city would have a ton to do with it, the city was the reason why permits took so long for the IPF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jungleman46

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom