Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Yep, I've linked to that a bunch of times.
Props to you, no question you were on this first.

Hydraulics are a long established technology. Can you imagine how much better the seating would be if a customized configuration for 30K of seats was used for basketball instead of the crude and awful approach we have today for basketball? If you sincerely want to improve the game experience for basketball fans, this is the single most meaningful thing you can do for them. Get more people closer to the action, with better sightlines and ability to see the game, than was ever possible before.

Heck, you could even have a cover for the Field Turf under the playing field that could be auto deployed to protect the turf as the final step in the process, so that dropped Dome beers do not make Eric Dungey's feet from slipping when he is able to throw a TD pass.

I searched and couldn't find an article referring to failure in the automatic seating config system at this stadium.

Hydraulics are a long established technology. Can you imagine how much better the seating would be if a customized configuration for 30K of seats was used for basketball instead of the crude and awful approach we have today for basketball? If you sincerely want to improve the game experience for basketball fans, this is the single most meaningful thing you can do for them. Get more people closer to the action, with better sightlines and ability to see the game, than was ever possible before.

Heck, you could even have a cover for the Field Turf under the playing field that could be auto deployed to protect the turf as the final step in the process, so that dropped Dome beers do not make Eric Dungey's feet from slipping when he is able to throw a TD pass.

I searched and couldn't find an article referring to failure in the automatic seating config system at this stadium.
Thanks for sharing the stadium info, however, it looks to me as if that stadium is not totally enclosed. It has a retractable roof, yes, but the sides appear to be slats and thus the outside air can get in. Fully enclosing that stadium probably adds quite a bit to the cost.

Thanks for sharing the stadium info, however, it looks to me as if that stadium is not totally enclosed. It has a retractable roof, yes, but the sides appear to be slats and thus the outside air can get in. Fully enclosing that stadium probably adds quite a bit to the cost.
First, it looks totally enclosed to me. Second, it's good that outside air can get in. If SU ever puts on the new roof, they will have windows for outside air to get in. It'd be crazy not to. They have already said multiple times, no retractable roof however.

Right size it, get the right owner/management partner, and it would be a great solution.

Some other shots of the stadium. It seems apparent to me that they have it in "football" configuration a vast majority of the time. It appears to be fully enclosed to me (or closed enough to have an air system that would act to make it closed).
d-436783-capture-d-e-cc-81cran-2016-12-22-a-cc-80-142439.jpg

1354663-29087157-2560-1440.jpg 374afacbe9f4f30bfe2605f74d25e.jpg 2048x1536-france-handball-team-in-the-pierre-mauroy-stadium-sportsvision_coudert1303009.jpg

I take that back. As I look at more photos, this is an "open air" stadium. JSOrange97 appears correct. The roof is more an umbrella than a roof. That would not likely work for a Syracuse stadium, or any basketball arena as the moisture content in the air would create havoc for the wood basketball floor.

So apart from the cost and "down time" I get squeamish about too many moving parts, especially when they are so crucial or integral to the operation of the facility. If a retractable roof breaks, get it closed and operations can continue. If a field motor or mechanism breaks, you're out of commission. If that were to happen at Jerry-world, and they couldn't get the grass outside, they'd have to leave the roof open just to keep the grass alive. In more temperate climates like Arlington, Miami, or France (yes even northern France) this is less a problem than it would be in Syracuse. This is why Astroturf was invented for the Astrodome, the grass died. When originally built, Shea Stadium had mechanically moving lower tier to reconfigure between football and baseball. It killed the grass and broke the second season they tried to put it to use and so they locked it in place in baseball configuration because they could still make it work for football.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/04/11/sports/1964nfl.jpg
wait.

shea, broke in 1965???

bwaaahhhaaahaaahaaa

I take that back. As I look at more photos, this is an "open air" stadium. JSOrange97 appears correct. The roof is more an umbrella than a roof. That would not likely work for a Syracuse stadium, or any basketball arena as the moisture content in the air would create havoc for the wood basketball floor.
I am pretty sure it is fully enclosed with the roof shut ... basketball is played there and I read it has A/C. It cost about $800M in 2012 so looking at over $1B probably now.

upload_2017-5-30_16-54-44.png

upload_2017-5-30_16-59-22.png

I can't say anymore. I am not sure it matters. I don't see any ductwork in any photos, I don't see air intakes or exhausts. I see that it could be enclosed, but it lacks a "skin" on that facade. Again, really not that important (we're not getting one).
img_1984.jpg
grand-stade-de-lille-3-section-bb.jpg

The flexible seating feature of that arena is what I think is of interest to Syracuse fans.

Whether the roof is or is not retractable, or even if a roof exists period, is immaterial.

I am not an advocate of a retractable roof for Syracuse.

I am pro fixed roof, pro flex seating, pro stainless steel urinal troughs, pro AC, pro wide concourses, pro LED lighting and pro extensive use of ETFE on the roof and sidewalls.

I also agree this conversation is irrelevant, but interesting nonetheless.

The flexible seating feature of that arena is what I think is of interest to Syracuse fans.

Whether the roof is or is not retractable, or even if a roof exists period, is immaterial.

I am not an advocate of a retractable roof for Syracuse.

I am pro fixed roof, pro flex seating, pro stainless steel urinal troughs, pro AC, pro wide concourses, pro LED lighting and pro extensive use of ETFE on the roof and sidewalls.

I also agree this conversation is irrelevant, but interesting nonetheless.

I'm SUTOMCAT and I endorse this message.

FIFY

Agree, we need a new roof, we can wait for a new stadium and then determine whether it will need a retractable roof (thinking baseball). I would add that painting the stainless benches orange and blue would be nice, too.

Like the use of ETFE there...

It would be awesome if the upper part of the western wall of the Dome was replaced with ETFE, so one could look through it and see Onondaga Valley.
I had a thought/hope a while back that I mentioned to CL about a "food court" at the west end that could also house new locker rooms, and studios at the base (field level) club space above, open food court space above that, and possibly "hotel" above that, or possibly a classroom function if the hotel idea is too ambitious. Newhouse could own the studios, and Falk and/or sports and rehab medicine institute (part of new med school) could take on the upper classrooms. The new west block would be visually open to the view you are talking about. Possible roof access for view or maybe "tailgate" area? Would give a nice face to the city too.

Not sure if anyone else heard this, but someone I know at the University said that their funding fell well short of the targeted goal and that the new roof is going to be the same material as the current.

Can anyone else confirm this?

If this is true, then they need to postpone to see if state money will become available to assist. The university is half assing this project.

I had a thought/hope a while back that I mentioned to CL about a "food court" at the west end that could also house new locker rooms, and studios at the base (field level) club space above, open food court space above that, and possibly "hotel" above that, or possibly a classroom function if the hotel idea is too ambitious. Newhouse could own the studios, and Falk and/or sports and rehab medicine institute (part of new med school) could take on the upper classrooms. The new west block would be visually open to the view you are talking about. Possible roof access for view or maybe "tailgate" area? Would give a nice face to the city too.
A food court would be great. Many new designs feature a big open area in the concourses behind both endzones. Would love to see something like that done.

The ACC is requiring all member schools to build a state of the art broadcasting facility on campus to support the linear ACC network. Cost in the $5-10 million range. At least half the ACC schools have already announced plans, some are already completed and in place. No word from SU so far but almost all of these facilities have been incorporated into the football or basketball complexes. I would expect the same for Syracuse.

A food court would be great. Many new designs feature a big open area in the concourses behind both endzones. Would love to see something like that done.

The ACC is requiring all member schools to build a state of the art broadcasting facility on campus to support the linear ACC network. Cost in the $5-10 million range. At least half the ACC schools have already announced plans, some are already completed and in place. No word from SU so far but almost all of these facilities have been incorporated into the football or basketball complexes. I would expect the same for Syracuse.

Third from top: Projects | CFAS

It's vague. I don't know if there's a site chosen for this facility or if they're just upgrading the network in preparation for that.

Third from top: Projects | CFAS

It's vague. I don't know if there's a site chosen for this facility or if they're just upgrading the network in preparation for that.
Sounds like the latter. From reading about what some of the other ACC schools have done, they all seem to be running fiber from all the athletic sites they will broadcast from to the central broadcast facility. It has to be done by the go live date for the ACC linear network (2019). That deadline might actually end up driving the timeline for the Dome renovation.

I asked Wildhack this question last week, and got a very vague answer. Specifically about building facilities, and offsetting the ACC network.

Last edited:
I asked Wildhack this question last week, and got a very vague answer. Specifically about building facilities, and offsetting the ACC network.
It looks like ESPN wants the ACC schools to have the facilities ready to go by the fall of 2018.

FSU still preparing for ACC Network

Kind of concerning Syracuse hasn't made any announcements yet on this. I have to believe the plan is to build the facility inside the Dome and the holdup is figuring out where it can be built, fit in with and not be affected by the renovation project. I am sure given his background John will do this right and make some good hires to run things (some ACC schools are already hiring production managers, etc.).

Couldn't they just use these?

Newhouse Studio & Innovation Center | Newhouse School - Syracuse University

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom