Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Meanwhile...
original

Maybe some Cali SU alum came up with that winning Powerball tic... ;)

our law school taken a step BACKWARD in the us news rankings. we are ranked right up there with illinois institute of technology . how do we fix it???

our law school taken a step BACKWARD in the us news rankings. we are ranked right up there with illinois institute of technology . how do we fix it???

Chicago-Kent (Illinois Institute of Technology) is actually a really good law school. And I'm pretty sure they've been ahead of us for a while as I was accepted to SU Law with a scholarship and was only wait listed to C-K. While I agree the SU law ranking has slid, using C-K as a benchmark for that is misguided.

the ratings/rankings are mysterious to me .. especially after a 100M new SOA building. What on earth are thy looking for? But either way, you're right that we should be tuned into rankings because, flawed or not, prospective students look at them.

Chicago-Kent (Illinois Institute of Technology) is actually a really good law school. And I'm pretty sure they've been ahead of us for a while as I was accepted to SU Law with a scholarship and was only wait listed to C-K. While I agree the SU law ranking has slid, using C-K as a benchmark for that is misguided.
Bar passage rate again? Attorney placement numbers?

I stopped following that closely years ago. I thought our bar passage has been much better recently than it was 15 years ago.

I stopped following that closely years ago. I thought our bar passage has been much better recently than it was 15 years ago.
I think the job placement numbers now are the bar pass rate numbers from 15 years ago. But I don't follow either

assuming you r correct, what should the benchmark be then??????

My .02 is that bar passage rate is stupid. SU has a national curriculum (Federal rules). It's not a bar-review factory like some other upstate law schools. So that should be devalued as a factor. Placement? Hmm. That's legit. Obviously, facilities (courtrooms, library,, study spaces) breadth of courses and course concentrations, curriculum, law reviews, research/publications, faculty quality ... I'm pretty sure we're doing well, if not very well, in those areas).

Kansas just announced a $300 million stadium renovation that will include an IPF. No real details about funding.

KU Athletics planning $300 million Memorial Stadium renovation

I briefly looked at the Financial reports of SU and Kansas. The school's both had about $1 Billion in Revenue. Kansas got $240 Million of that revenue from the State Government as an appropriation. SU gets no such revenue.

I briefly looked at the Financial reports of SU and Kansas. The school's both had about $1 Billion in Revenue. Kansas got $240 Million of that revenue from the State Government as an appropriation. SU gets no such revenue.

Good point. State/public schools definitely have an advantage in that regard.

I've got to think that Kansas, as a state school, probably has more attendees than SU, although the tuition will likely be lower. It's all about priorities and commitment.

I've got to think that Kansas, as a state school, probably has more attendees than SU, although the tuition will likely be lower. It's all about priorities and commitment.

Correct, Kansas has an enrollment over 28,000 according to the Google. Also found this info

Cost of Attendance In-state: $26,041 Out-of-state: $42,825
Tuition and Fees In-state: $11,455 Out-of-state: $28,239
Room and Board $10,436
Books and Supplies $1,080
Other Expenses $3,070

A bit surprised by KU's cost of attendance in state. Here in NC, both UNC & NCST are about $20k in state. I'd also assume that the cost of living is cheaper in Lawrence, KS than Chapel Hill & Raleigh as well.

KU enrollment - 28,401
In-State - 17,609
Out-State - 10,792

Cost of attendance:
In-State - $26,041
Out-State - $42,825

SU enrollment - 21,970

Cost of attendance:
In/Out-State - $63,344

Total attendance paid:
KU - In state - $458,555,969, Out-State - $462,167,400, Total - $920,723,369
SU - Total - $1,391,667,680

That's an almost 500 million right there

Obviously this isn't a completely accurate representation of what the schools are getting from student tuition/fees. I'm just showing that in this instance, the enrollment numbers don't help Kansas as much as some might think given the relative costs of both schools. Slow work day and I figured some people might be interested in the numbers.

Total Student Enrollment
SU = 21.5K
Kansas = 28K

A difference, but not a huge one. $240M from the State is a lot of money.

Also, what are the sources of money for the U of K $300Million?

As Reagan once said (correctly, I think), "Tax dollars appear to belong to no one. And the temptation to bestow them on someone is almost irresistible".

Kansas just announced a $300 million stadium renovation that will include an IPF. No real details about funding.

KU Athletics planning $300 million Memorial Stadium renovation

They're the flagship state school. Of course they're going to get not only public dollars, but a large amount of public dollars.

Regarding the law school rank, SU isn't going to be a Tier 1/Top 15 school, but it should be doing whatever it can to avoid being a third tier toilet. The market is still really bad for law grads. If I'm a prospective graduate, I'm taking my chances in the real world before I go to a TTT.

My .02 is that bar passage rate is stupid. SU has a national curriculum (Federal rules). It's not a bar-review factory like some other upstate law schools. So that should be devalued as a factor. Placement? Hmm. That's legit. Obviously, facilities (courtrooms, library,, study spaces) breadth of courses and course concentrations, curriculum, law reviews, research/publications, faculty quality ... I'm pretty sure we're doing well, if not very well, in those areas).
apparently not that well. 92 is a disgrace. it would be ridiculous consider this a good performance. if we were doing very well we would not be close to a tier 3 school. i believe that ken s. does not believe for 1 minute that this is very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom