Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 87 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit dunce, so can one please explain how these projects may tie into the SU Campus Framework? ;) It would be nice to get some type of update/status on the dome reno.

what would a lifetime of maintenance costs be for a gondola?

and all that cost to sit idle during the winter time?

Maybe they should have thought of this stuff when they were drawing up plans to build the amphitheater where they build

thumb_49__contentGalleryBig.jpeg

Maybe they should have thought of this stuff when they were drawing up plans to build the amphitheater where they build

View attachment 87351
The purpose of the gondolas is to get people from the fair to the Amphitheater and back. They built it next to the fairgrounds to allow it to be used as part of the fair since it essentially replaced the grandstand. There is plenty of parking there and on/off ramps for 690. Good choice.

Gonodla%2BRound%2BRock%2BFrog-Design-Gondola-Cable-cars1.jpg

Ok, 5,000 people an hour in the most densely populated city in America. You think you're going to get one of the same size in Syracuse? No way. What good is it going to be to move 1,000 people to one entry point at the Lakeview Ampitheater for a 15k-20k show? 20x's per year? You gonna be a GD Gondola paddler for 20 days worth of work in Upstate NY.

It's not practical for the intended use, complete waste of resources.
And build a tunnel under 690...

By my understanding (which could be flawed), these rainwater harvest systems are not very expensive to install and maintain, and, over time, they can help reduce water bills while also creating a sustainable environment. I'm not seeing what the downside is here, regardless of whether or not the CNY area gets enough rain.
That money could have been used to buy more goodies for football. ;)

View attachment 87351
The gondolas are taken down when not in use. The Minnesota state fair which is 2nd in attendance nationally - has a nice gondola system. All the best state fairs have this, and some are in northern climates. Oh the horror! Typical Syracuse can't-do mentality.

I bet you could dig a canal connecting the fairgrounds to Nine Mile Creek and transport people to and from the fairgrounds and the amphitheatre via water for a fraction of what this would cost. Almost no maintenance either.

Canal.png

exactly. they didn't consider that until now?
Maybe they did...just not enough money when they created it. As has been reported, gondolas have been considered in the past at the fairgrounds.

I bet you could dig a canal connecting the fairgrounds to Nine Mile Creek and transport people to and from the fairgrounds and the amphitheatre via water for a fraction of what this would cost. Almost no maintenance either.

View attachment 87403

Yes...and then a monorail from 9 mile creek to the Amphitheater!

can't do mentality? yeah thats me. Because i never said it shouldn't or couldn't be done. You can read right?

LOL. Nice.

In all seriousness, it might not be a bad idea to create a marina inside the fairgrounds, with a canal as shown, to provide a different way to access the NYS Fair and open up the lake to fairgoers.

People could take dinner cruises, guided tours, etc. You could take a boat to the Fair from Liverpool, the Inner Harbor or even from Baldwinsville.

And yes, people could use it to get to the amphitheatre too. There are lots of boats that listen to concerts now for free from the lake. Heck, I would look at allowing people to enter the amphitheatre from the lake as well too.

With all the money invested in cleaning up the lake, why not make the lake part of the fair?

The gondolas are taken down when not in use. The Minnesota state fair which is 2nd in attendance nationally - has a nice gondola system. All the best state fairs have this, and some are in northern climates. Oh the horror! Typical Syracuse can't-do mentality.
Yeah, typical cant do mentality. That's why I chip my teeth 7 GD times a day during my commute driving on 690 bc we can't afford to fill potholes. But, let's ride a GD Gondola twice a year.

Yes...and then a monorail from 9 mile creek to the Amphitheater!
It is only a couple of hundred feet from the mouth of the creek to the Amphitheatre. People could walk or better yet, a dock could be built at the base of the Amphitheatre. One might already exist there...I haven't gotten close enough to see.

can't do mentality? yeah thats me. Because i never said it shouldn't or couldn't be done. You can read right?
How would people get from 9-mile creek to the Amphitheater? You didn't say how in your proposal for a canal/creek boat. Maybe they walk?

is the creek deep enough for boats that can transport large volumes of people?

How would people get from 9-mile creek to the Amphitheater? You didn't say how in your proposal for a canal/creek boat. Maybe they walk?
Walk or take the boat. Personally, I would at the feasibility of building a boardwalk, with a couple of restaurants. That is prime waterfront property.

It might need to be treated...could have toxic chemical issues. I don't know how good of a job was done reclaiming this area of the shoreline. But I wonder if private developers would be interested working with a lease on that land?

Let's hope so, they better be 10 ft. wide. Have you seen the average fair goer's girth? Watch how many drunk frat boys headed to see DMB tip the Gondola thinking they're hysterical. Then we can pay WC claims to minimum wage Gondola Paddlers. As well as lawsuits for pain & suffering.

Individuals can't control themselves enough to stay sober long enough to drive to the actual fair itself. Now let's put them at the Fair all day and give 'em a boat ride. 5 to 1 there's a drowning within a decade.

Walk or take the boat. Personally, I would at the feasibility of building a boardwalk, with a couple of restaurants. That is prime waterfront property.

It might need to be treated...could have toxic chemical issues. I don't know how good of a job was done reclaiming this area of the shoreline. But I wonder if private developers would be interested working with a lease on that land?

If only. But this wasn't built with the goal of creating synergy with other entities - it's very much intended to be a stand-alone venue that captures every dollar spent by concert-goers.

I'd be satisfied if they created any multi-modal way to reach the main gate and agreed to stop closing the lake trail all day on concert days.

Let's hope so, they better be 10 ft. wide. Have you seen the average fair goer's girth? Watch how many drunk frat boys headed to see DMB tip the Gondola thinking they're hysterical. Then we can pay WC claims to minimum wage Gondola Paddlers. As well as lawsuits for pain & suffering.

Individuals can't control themselves enough to stay sober long enough to drive to the actual fair itself. Now let's put them at the Fair all day and give 'em a boat ride. 5 to 1 there's a drowning within a decade.

Wait, I thought everyone was playing along with someone's joke.

They're not truly suggesting gondolas like in Venice. This is a people-mover in the sky, like this proposal: D.C. has taken a step to link Georgetown and Rosslyn via overhead gondola

Now if someone thinks water taxis would be a good idea, I'd be all in favor of studying that. It's goofy that everyone in the northeastern suburbs needs to drive all the way around the lake and park in the same lots and cram through the same single entrance that everyone else does. There should be some way to get people into the venue from the east.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom