Future of SU Football | Syracusefan.com

Future of SU Football

Orangejet

Suds Peddlar
Let’s be realistic here. There is no way SU can compete financially or athletically with the top football schools in the US, let alone the ACC and it is quite evident in recruiting and wins. With the NIL now in place, it will be more difficult to right our ship for I feel the major college sports are now doomed to fail.
Would SU ever consider leaving the ACC for the Big East in all sports except football and become an independent like BYU, ND, UMass and UConn? Hoops would flourish again and SU wouldn’t have to worry about beating Clemson or FSU every 15 years. Time for a change is needed for I do not see the football program ever completing on a national level like hoops. There are plenty of teams that would play SU in football and it would be exciting for road game travel.
I am so tired of our losing and want something to be done in a positive manner for all signs are pointing that our losing seasons will continue. SU is now bunched with the lowest rated football teams in America which is sad considering we were 10 - 3 several years ago. It sounds crazy and as an ex Cuse player, I am open to what you have to say. Cheers!

NIL is a game changer. There will be fallout and realignment. I want the best for SU. Too early to tell how it plays out.
Gentlemen...We're through the looking glass here.

Let’s be realistic here. There is no way SU can compete financially or athletically with the top football schools in the US, let alone the ACC and it is quite evident in recruiting and wins. With the NIL now in place, it will be more difficult to right our ship for I feel the major college sports are now doomed to fail.
Would SU ever consider leaving the ACC for the Big East in all sports except football and become an independent like BYU, ND, UMass and UConn? Hoops would flourish again and SU wouldn’t have to worry about beating Clemson or FSU every 15 years. Time for a change is needed for I do not see the football program ever completing on a national level like hoops. There are plenty of teams that would play SU in football and it would be exciting for road game travel.
I am so tired of our losing and want something to be done in a positive manner for all signs are pointing that our losing seasons will continue. SU is now bunched with the lowest rated football teams in America which is sad considering we were 10 - 3 several years ago. It sounds crazy and as an ex Cuse player, I am open to what you have to say. Cheers!
I agree but we can have a good program. I always use NDSU as my example. They are located in Fargo ND. Talk about a lack of in state talent. Talk about a bad location lack of population ect ect ect... They make it work and so can we. Personally we have made horrible coaching decisions. We need a solid group of coaches who are connected in our primary recruiting area that can actually coach. We are strong enough to hang in there on the NIL and we have a great brand and great exposure. We need better coaching. Hopefully Dino surprises us. Hang in there we should always be a 6 win team with the occational great year.

Cheers!

now please go away.

Hi Jet...

I think we'll eventually be competitive, hopefully with Babers. We've had a good tradition with a lot of superb people playing for SU, like yourself. Joining the ACC had a variety of impacts, some of which were negative. I'm the hopeful sort so hope we get back to a bowl this year. Fear no darkness!

I agree but we can have a good program. I always use NDSU as my example. They are located in Fargo ND. Talk about a lack of in state talent. Talk about a bad location lack of population ect ect ect... They make it work and so can we. Personally we have made horrible coaching decisions. We need a solid group of coaches who are connected in our primary recruiting area that can actually coach. We are strong enough to hang in there on the NIL and we have a great brand and great exposure. We need better coaching. Hopefully Dino surprises us. Hang in there we should always be a 6 win team with the occational great year.
agree 100%. hiring Robinson and Shafer were self inflicted wounds. I am not giving up on the Babers hire but he did not have enough good coaches/recruiters on staff, I think that is being rectified, at least on the defensive side. We get to play 4 OOC games by being in the ACC, which means we control 1/3 of our schedule. no reason, like you said, that we can't be a perennial bowl team, we just can't make crap hires. NIL isn't going to force us to make crap hires

I'm amused by these posters who downplay or are dismissive of the NIL dynamic. They don't see it as an impediment, roadblock or barrier to SU success, so they diss those that do.
Head-in-the-sand-mentality. What do they know reference its dénouement (that's a French word)? I mean yeah, it might be a little speed bump, but it might be sinkhole to unrecoverable mediocrity. We're just discussing it. Some weigh in with their pithy little aphorisms that say in so many words "You're an NIL snowflake" or "You're a chicken little" or "You're over reacting man."
It's just a discussion, in this case by an ex-SU player who might have more insight than the rest y'all.

If Dino fails this year and is let go, I’m all in on Jeff Monken and the return of option football to the dome. i know this is unpopular with the majority of the fan base but the goal should be to remain competitive in the ACC and win games on a consistent basis. with our lack of in-stare talent, this unique scheme provides the best chance for SU to be a long-term competitive football program.

agree 100%. hiring Robinson and Shafer were self inflicted wounds. I am not giving up on the Babers hire but he did not have enough good coaches/recruiters on staff, I think that is being rectified, at least on the defensive side. We get to play 4 OOC games by being in the ACC, which means we control 1/3 of our schedule. no reason, like you said, that we can't be a perennial bowl team, we just can't make crap hires. NIL isn't going to force us to make crap hires
Been thinking this for a while now. Injuries played a big part in our woes, sure, but Babers' staffing choices are one of the two big problems that hindered his chance for success. The other was having too many eggs in a QB choice that didn't pan out. If he can hang on, the coaching changes can bring long-term success. IMO.

The thing with our football program is we need an identity. We are a northern team, that does not have a great state to recruit talent in and hasn’t been relevant the past 20 years. Like stated above option would be an identity and one we had in the past. We just need something as we will not compete with the Bama’s Penn State’s, Ohio State’s, etc…we have to have something they don’t have in terms of identity as a team that will attract kids.

Basketball is a little different as we are more like a blueblood in basketball but even then we have an identity. We have the zone, Boeheim and for awhile we were known as a team that got up and down and was fun to watch. That has changed the last few years. Either way I think a huge part of any programs success is identity, developing your identity and mastering it. As well as developing a culture. We need something like that for football and we almost had it. We have a good culture, our problem is our identity was suppose to be “orange is the new fast” and that left when Sean Lewis and Dungey left to be honest

I'm amused by these posters who downplay or are dismissive of the NIL dynamic. They don't see it as an impediment, roadblock or barrier to SU success, so they diss those that do.
Head-in-the-sand-mentality. What do they know reference its dénouement (that's a French word)? I mean yeah, it might be a little speed bump, but it might be sinkhole to unrecoverable mediocrity. We're just discussing it. Some weigh in with their pithy little aphorisms that say in so many words "You're an NIL snowflake" or "You're a chicken little" or "You're over reacting man."
It's just a discussion, in this case by an ex-SU player who might have more insight than the rest y'all.
It’s def not nothing - it’s change. Could work in our favor or not. I happen to think that we’re positioned fine and the transfer rules will also work in our favor … but I don’t think anyone can know that for sure. I also think that anything good or bad over the next year or two should be taken with a grain of salt. It’s wild Wild West time at the moment, but if things get too out of whack it will swing the other direction. A self-correction.

Pretty confident that not playing football in the ACC would relegate us to a UCONN like status and might as well just put a pillow over the program till it stops kicking.

Last edited:
Been thinking this for a while now. Injuries played a big part in our woes, sure, but Babers' staffing choices are one of the two big problems that hindered his chance for success. The other was having too many eggs in a QB choice that didn't pan out. If he can hang on, the coaching changes can bring long-term success. IMO.
Similar to Shafer and even Marrone. Bad hires can knee cap yourself and it might take longer than the school will give to get it right. (Shafer wasn’t going to get it right long term, but Lester was good and should have been the OC day 1. Marrone self corrected a bad OC hire in season. Dino has moved the chess pieces around enough to show a self-awareness that gives him a chance)

Winning fixes all

aside from that, I don’t think any of us can say with certainty what NIL will look like in the coming years, let alone its effect on SU

I share a lot of concerns about the football program, and the NIL does change things, but there is already a wild disparity in terms of what's happening in college football without the NIL. Clemson, Ohio St, Bama and UGA are rolling year over year. We aren't competing with those guys regardless of NIL. This disparity in the top tier teams (and even the second tier behind them like Notre Dame, etc) is huge.

We need to make the most of what we can do and what we can control.

Maybe we don't have the best pool of donors, but we sure as heck can be a leader in empowering players to maximize their earnings potential with the NIL in terms of publicity, use of media, PR chops, etc.

Maybe we will never have depth at every position, but we have a Dome where we can showcase speed, special teams players and dual threat QBs.

We need to be the most disciplined team as it pertains to penalties in the country.

I see no reason, with the ACC money coming in and what we do have, to not be able to at least put a competitive team on the field that can be ok, at worst, each year.

Maybe that's too optimistic? I dunno. But I still see a program that has a real history, has guys in the NFL, has a coach that at least wants to play fast and use the Dome to his advantage and at least have had some unlocking of funds coming in...

I can't imagine what it's like being an ex players and seeing the tough years, but if we're being honest, since Freeney's last year, we have had one really great year and a few ok years and a lot of bad years. We're talking 20 years here. I've been a fan since the mid 80s, I absolutely think this is a place where there can be winning football. I'm not talking national titles, I'm talking winning and being competitive.

You don't really mean that. I know both of you. You guys are more alike than different.

Trust me...OrangeJet is a legit ex-player

That said Orangejet I've thought the same at times...but we need 5 years to assess how this all shakes out. There will be many unintended consequences.
I overreact to the doom posts of SU football because it's all I see now. I honestly try and shut everything off before the seasons start now because I know people have not much good to say. I'm by no means saying I don't understand it...I'm just tired of it.

“Identity” is almost as overused of a buzzword as “brand”. Let’s see how things shake out with NIL and the impact it has. Most likely the rich will get richer. Time will tell.

Out of curiosity, does anyone believe there is a lot of new money in the SEC? Serious question.

NIL is going to move most of the transactions above board. Businesses will use the write-off to pay less taxes. That does not create new money, that is essentially a zero sum gain.*

The SEC has been handing out bags of cash for decades. The truth is that schools that don't have boosters breaking the rules are in a position to be benefitted by NIL as much or more than the SEC schools. NIL could benefit SU more than most other schools.

*Sure, because businesses pay less in taxes they may pay out a little more, but they are just as likely to keep some of the money.

Last edited: