Future of SU Football | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Future of SU Football

I overreact to the doom posts of SU football because it's all I see now. I honestly try and shut everything off before the seasons start now because I know people have not much good to say. I'm by no means saying I don't understand it...I'm just tired of it.
Same, We we’re 10-3 2 seasons ago ( I don’t count the clusterf#*k that was 2020. I am still optimistic. Stupid ? Maybe but optimistic nonetheless.

Let’s be realistic here. There is no way SU can compete financially or athletically with the top football schools in the US, let alone the ACC and it is quite evident in recruiting and wins. With the NIL now in place, it will be more difficult to right our ship for I feel the major college sports are now doomed to fail.
Would SU ever consider leaving the ACC for the Big East in all sports except football and become an independent like BYU, ND, UMass and UConn? Hoops would flourish again and SU wouldn’t have to worry about beating Clemson or FSU every 15 years. Time for a change is needed for I do not see the football program ever completing on a national level like hoops. There are plenty of teams that would play SU in football and it would be exciting for road game travel.
I am so tired of our losing and want something to be done in a positive manner for all signs are pointing that our losing seasons will continue. SU is now bunched with the lowest rated football teams in America which is sad considering we were 10 - 3 several years ago. It sounds crazy and as an ex Cuse player, I am open to what you have to say. Cheers!
I dont think all is lost. 4 seasons from 1969 -1982 over .500. 18 seasons from 1983-2001 over .500. To your point? 4 seasons over .500 since 2002 is troubling.

I still think it's possible, but NIL could certainly make it more difficult. A winning season is now more important than ever.

You don't really mean that. I know both of you. You guys are more alike than different.

Trust me...OrangeJet is a legit ex-player

That said Orangejet I've thought the same at times...but we need 5 years to assess how this all shakes out. There will be many unintended consequences.
Glad you still are optimistic, we need to be different then other teams. Dino needs to become a manager, and let Gilbert run the offense, and keep his nose out.
Eric saved his butt in 2018, by creating good plays out of bad. Tommy will never be able to do that, he has been here 4 years. He isn't suddenly going to have everything click. The German, Mang is supposed to be athletic, with his size if he can catch the ball, we need to highlight him. 6-7 and 265 at tight end don't grow on trees.

Two quick opinions here:

1. People thinking NIL could be the death of Cuse Football are making rash, uneducated statements.

2. Biggest mistake Dino has made, in my opinion, is not hammering the transfer portal. We should be bringing in 5-10 of these transfers per year. That’s where we are at as a program and what we need to win sooner. I’d also add that this is even more important because high school recruiting is not Dino’s forte.

I think in a good season we can compete with anyone other than the Alabama's of the world.

We won't be far off teams 11/12 in the playoff good years.

I think in a good season we can compete with anyone other than the Alabama's of the world.

We won't be far off teams 11/12 in the playoff good years.
In 2018, that would have been the case. Ranked for the 1st time since 2001. From. 87 to 2001 we were ranked 13 times. Wouldn't that be nice? I'm guessing NIL will be yet another hurdle, but ya never know.

Two quick opinions here:

1. People thinking NIL could be the death of Cuse Football are making rash, uneducated statements.

2. Biggest mistake Dino has made, in my opinion, is not hammering the transfer portal. We should be bringing in 5-10 of these transfers per year. That’s where we are at as a program and what we need to win sooner. I’d also add that this is even more important because high school recruiting is not Dino’s forte.
You are assuming a lot of transfers would want to play at SU.

Glad you still are optimistic, we need to be different then other teams. Dino needs to become a manager, and let Gilbert run the offense, and keep his nose out.
Eric saved his butt in 2018, by creating good plays out of bad. Tommy will never be able to do that, he has been here 4 years. He isn't suddenly going to have everything click. The German, Mang is supposed to be athletic, with his size if he can catch the ball, we need to highlight him. 6-7 and 265 at tight end don't grow on trees.
Seems like a narrative getting built here with not a lot of proof

Eric and Dino worked together to have a great season in 2018. Just like all great teams prior, HC/OC/QB/Team. Why demonize Dino and elevate Eric, when they both contributed?

Two quick opinions here:

High School recruiting was not good under Grob, Marrone, Shafer, or Dino

I think the common denominator is Syracuse is a hard place to recruit to

Is it an exaggeration to say that Dino's fate at Cuse depends on the job that Schmidt does this year?
Yes, I only say that because the entire staff has to be on . We have to make 3 star athletes just a little better so it goes all the way down the line.

The ACC provides two big things for ND, a an East Coast-based conference for basketball and the Olympic sports and 5 guaranteed opponents for football that are spread over the whole season, including November (when UVa plays them this year). They had no problem getting opponents for games in September when everyone plays their OOC games, but it was increasingly difficult to get games for later in the season. I don't think any team looks forward to being put into that scheduling difficulty.

It's unlikely that we'll ever be a consistent top 25 program again. Occasionally, sure, but consistently, no.

We can sit in that next tier most years. We're in a power 5 conference, no sane program would ever give that up.

It's not the worst place to be.

We're not UConn.

Let’s be realistic here. There is no way SU can compete financially or athletically with the top football schools in the US, let alone the ACC and it is quite evident in recruiting and wins. With the NIL now in place, it will be more difficult to right our ship for I feel the major college sports are now doomed to fail.
Would SU ever consider leaving the ACC for the Big East in all sports except football and become an independent like BYU, ND, UMass and UConn? Hoops would flourish again and SU wouldn’t have to worry about beating Clemson or FSU every 15 years. Time for a change is needed for I do not see the football program ever completing on a national level like hoops. There are plenty of teams that would play SU in football and it would be exciting for road game travel.
I am so tired of our losing and want something to be done in a positive manner for all signs are pointing that our losing seasons will continue. SU is now bunched with the lowest rated football teams in America which is sad considering we were 10 - 3 several years ago. It sounds crazy and as an ex Cuse player, I am open to what you have to say. Cheers!

"That's just the attitude we don't need!"

There are plenty of teams that would play SU in football and it would be exciting for road game travel.
Right, nothing would be more fun than to be a dogcrap independent program and get our doors blown off in all sorts of new and interesting locations.

Dude, maybe just go play some cool golf courses around the country if you want to scratch that itch.

Lol I cannot believe anybody would even have the audacity here to say let's go back to the big East ! I would never support this program again If for instance which one ever happened what for what for instance if if the athletic director and chancellor did that chancellor did that never again.
I like to move forward in all things not backward it's in all things not backwards and going back to the big Eastwood back to the biggest wood put us back put us back into mediocrity regardless if we win regardless if we win every single year and and completely being irrelevant At least here we get the payouts. You just gotta be extra smart about what you do with the $$$$!! Coaching, facilities, ect

I don't see SU going back to the Big East unless college sports just collapse back into regional conferences. To be honest I enjoy being in the ACC as it is today instead of the current Big East. We get to play a few old faces and also play a few national brands in football/basketball. I wouldn't care about playing schools like Creighton, Butler, Xavier etc. in hoops. The Old Big East isn't coming back

We haven't been as competitive as we've wanted since joining the ACC but there have still been some good seasons.

Last edited:
I don't see SU going back to the Big East unless college sports just collapse back into regional conferences. To be honest I enjoy being in the ACC as it is today instead of the current Big East. We get to play a few old faces and also play a few national brands in both sports. I wouldn't care about playing schools like Creighton, Butler, Xavier etc. in hoops. The Old Big East isn't coming back

We haven't been as competitive as we've wanted since joining the ACC but there have still been some good seasons.
It's been said before, but given all of the realistic options, the ACC is by far the best home for SU. To me, the only drawbacks are that (a) it's a bit too southern-heavy (Maryland staying would have helped immensely with that), and (b) we had to foresake a couple hoops rivalries. Otherwise, it's a highly lucrative conference loaded with athletic and academic peers. That we haven't been as competitive as we wish is entirely on us.

LOL

The Lions will never win a SuperBowl. I still wear Honolulu Blue every fall. The other MAJOR thing is that the combo of BB/FB at SU is profitable. When that changes, we can talk about joining the Huskies in the SPCA conference.

Seems like a narrative getting built here with not a lot of proof

Eric and Dino worked together to have a great season in 2018. Just like all great teams prior, HC/OC/QB/Team. Why demonize Dino and elevate Eric, when they both contributed?
plus, our special teams were incredible in 2018, best in the country, and we had, I believe, the second best turnover ratio in the country. We did a lot right that year, as much as I absolutely love Dungey it wasn't just him.