FWIW...Student mask compliance... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

FWIW...Student mask compliance...

Do you think the virus won’t spread with these large groups of people? This is what happened at Notre Dame, UNC, and NC State. It sounds like you’re ok with the spread on college campuses. Until it shuts down sports.

they’ve all been tested, so assuming zero positives then no.

they’ve all been tested, so assuming zero positives then no.

I remember people saying positives rates were going to rise after the George Floyd protests in NYC and NY State too. Well it didn't happen and these freshman had been tested not once but twice.

If That is the worse thing they do during their time on campus. Their parents did a good job raising them.

Lot's of hypocrites on here who I suspect would have done the same thing at that age or had the same mentality.
You know "lots" of people on here well enough to call them out as hypocrites? Really?

Oh please stop it with the drama. They were all tested around others who were tested. It's not ideal during these times but better outside in the quad then in some freshmen door floor or other indoor place.

I'm not going to scold them cause I did the same thing when I was in college and y'all did too. We all had the same mentality.
Which pandemic was going on when you went to school?

What is my double standard ? I've been quiet clear because I would have done the same thing. This is the life and mentality of the college kid. Maybe because I'm not as far removed from this than others of you.

Bees feels like this in this thread...
1597976354631.png

Good Night Bees. McMahon was stern but fair. You flip flop on McMahon now post by post. You called him a hypocrite a few posts ago. You won't answer because you would have been doing the same thing in College.

I was mocking your use of the word hypocrite. Good nite.

What is my double standard ? I've been quiet clear because I would have done the same thing. This is the life and mentality of the college kid. Maybe because I'm not as far removed from this than others of you.

I’m sure you would have. Irresponsible and careless. You don’t care about anyone but yourself. It’s a pandemic man. You’ll be the first to complain when sports get shut down.

I blame the adults. They chose this.

We call them "kids" for a reason.
Nah, people the same age right now are in boot camps following much stricter rules and being held to much higher standards of responsibility. Asking young adults, that's what they are, to practice basic responsibility is not too much.

The idea that going to college gives people this window where it is expected and completely accepted that you be an idiot, evolved from when there were a few that did stupid things while at college and it eventually became glamourized. It's the same as how the saying "I need to learn from my mistakes" has been twisted into "I have to make mistakes so that I can learn from them." People just look for ways to justify doing exactly what they know they shouldn't do.

Do you think the virus won’t spread with these large groups of people? This is what happened at Notre Dame, UNC, and NC State. It sounds like you’re ok with the spread on college campuses. Until it shuts down sports.
I’m okay with the students following the protocols set by the colleges to at least minimize the spread. Some folks worked very hard over the past 5 months so these students could have the best college experience possible in this environment. Their actions demonstrate that they don’t care. This isn’t fair to the other students who want to get the best opportunity they can. I apologize if you can’t understand this point and took offense to it. Maybe reading the letter to the students from the University will help you understand better than I can.

Nah, people the same age right now are in boot camps following much stricter rules and being held to much higher standards of responsibility. Asking young adults, that's what they are, to practice basic responsibility is not too much.

The idea that going to college gives people this window where it is expected and completely accepted that you be an idiot, evolved from when there were a few that did stupid things while at college and it eventually became glamourized. It's the same as how the saying "I need to learn from my mistakes" has been twisted into "I have to make mistakes so that I can learn from them." People just look for ways to justify doing exactly what they know they shouldn't do.

The young adults in boot camp are the vast minority of the population. We can debate what should be expected of the average 18 year-old away from home for the first time ever. But was is not up for debate is what we know has happened with this group for decades on campuses.

Schools are saying the right thing. But they are equally selfish in returning these kids to campus in an effort to hold on to their revenues.

Bury your head in the sand and point fingers all you want (and I agree fingers should be pointed). But the idea the school's admin isn't at fault here is laughable.

The young adults in boot camp are the vast minority of the population. We can debate what should be expected of the average 18 year-old away from home for the first time ever. But was is not up for debate is what we know has happened with this group for decades on campuses.

Schools are saying the right thing. But they are equally selfish in returning these kids to campus in an effort to hold on to their revenues.

Bury your head in the sand and point fingers all you want (and I agree fingers should be pointed). But the idea the school's admin isn't at fault here is laughable.
I'm not burying my head in the sand. I grew up being held accountable and believe people should be. Just because something is or has been a certain way, does not mean that is the way it should be. 18 year olds are old enough to know and follow rules. "The college experience" is not a reason to ignore that.

I guess you can call the schools selfish, but nobody forced any of these students to attend this semester. Had all colleges cancelled school, people would've criticized that too. Blaming stupid decisions of students on universities for attempting to do what a lot of people wanted them to do is foolish. If the students do their part, it's possible things could work. If they act like a bunch of morons, it definitely won't.

Testing is not going well at PedState from what I'm hearing.
Lot's of test coming back with inclusive test, kids having to stay in hotels for 10 days if the test doesn't work, kids having to be rested etc.
Also they have had a few large gatherings already.

if su was testing 2-3 times a week this gatherings while stupid would be somewhat mitigated. You would catch most of the kids before they got sick enough to spread. Thats the hope of many schools Illinois/Cornell etc. We will know in a few weeks how well that is working.. But many schools even in NY are not doing any testing , some just a first test and many none at all.

One thing though even for SU. if the kids all came in and got tested and were for the most part where safe , they are not mingling all that much outside the campus community in places that are not being very safe. Its not like Bars are going full bore to help the spread. Almost every place with any larger group is mask compliant.

maybe SU needs to order another round of testing or do they plan on that anyway?

I’m okay with the students following the protocols set by the colleges to at least minimize the spread. Some folks worked very hard over the past 5 months so these students could have the best college experience possible in this environment. Their actions demonstrate that they don’t care. This isn’t fair to the other students who want to get the best opportunity they can. I apologize if you can’t understand this point and took offense to it. Maybe reading the letter to the students from the University will help you understand better than I can.

I agree 100%.

Oh please stop it with the drama. They were all tested around others who were tested. It's not ideal during these times but better outside in the quad then in some freshmen door floor or other indoor place.

I'm not going to scold them cause I did the same thing when I was in college and y'all did too. We all had the same mentality.

What pandemic was ongoing when you were in school?

Kids are just following their parent role models. The law says the drinking age is 21, but how many parents either ignore the law and even support under age drinking (Not all but many). People like to pick and choose what rules they want to follow. Yet, we expect young adults to act like adults. This is not normal times and everyone needs to make some sacrifices until we control this virus. I‘m so tired of hearing kids say I have the right to go on spring break, drink, party, go out with my friends and basically do whatever they want. It’s irresponsible and selfish and they are currently the major reason there has been an increase in Covid. If everyone could get their act together for just one month, we could get a handle on this virus.

Last edited:
I'm not burying my head in the sand. I grew up being held accountable and believe people should be. Just because something is or has been a certain way, does not mean that is the way it should be. 18 year olds are old enough to know and follow rules. "The college experience" is not a reason to ignore that.

I guess you can call the schools selfish, but nobody forced any of these students to attend this semester. Had all colleges cancelled school, people would've criticized that too. Blaming stupid decisions of students on universities for attempting to do what a lot of people wanted them to do is foolish. If the students do their part, it's possible things could work. If they act like a bunch of morons, it definitely won't.

I agree with you that personal responsibility matters and that the students bear a heavy share of the blame.

But the "nobody forced students to attend" argument doesn't absolve the institution of blame. They created an attractive nuisance, and cynically, in my opinion. They knew they were in a no-win situation, so they came up with a crafty move: instead of proactively switching to online-only and costing themselves millions of dollars while catching a ton of flak for closing up, they invited the students to be the scapegoat, knowing they'd screw up and would take the PR hit for forcing the school's hand to close.

That's all well and good, and it is the students fault for proving everyone right, but it's not an ethical choice by the institution; they've got a responsibility to create a safe atmosphere for students, faculty/staff, and the broader community. They punted on that.

Kids are just following their parent role models. The law says the drinking age is 21, but how many parents either ignore the law and even support under age drinking (Not all but many). People like to pick and choose what rules they want to follow. Yet, we expect young adults to act like adults. This is not normal times and everyone needs to make some sacrifices until we control this virus. I so tired of hearing kids say I have the right to go on spring break, drink, party, go out with my friends and basically do whatever they want. It’s irresponsible and selfish and they are currently the major reason there has been an increase in Covid. If everyone could get their act together for just one month, we could get a handle on this virus.

"kids are just following their parent role models"...what a crock of sht.