Class of 2024 - G Elijah Moore (NY) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/23) | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 G Elijah Moore (NY) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/23)

It’s been a while since I’ve kept up on this stuff, but there was two tourneys. The public school state tourney final four that west genny is playing in tomorrow and the State catholic FF the following weekend which schools like Archbishop Molloy, cardinal Hayes , Christ, the king, Long Island, Lutheran etc would play in

Last edited:
It’s been a while since I’ve kept up on this stuff, but there was two tourneys. The public school state tourney final four that west genny is playing in tomorrow and the State catholic FF the following weekend which schools like Archbishop Molloy, cardinal Hayes , Christ, the king, Long Island, Lutheran etc would play in
I thought they were doing away with the Federation tournament, or is that next year?

Yes, the federation tournament was canceled for this season and beyond.
Oh wow, that is understandable, considering how high school basketball has changed. But, that used to be the best. I went to a small class D school, but we were in the state playoffs often. Before Class D was excluded from the Federation tournament, my high school actually won the Class D Federation. Our whole village was electrified.

Oh wow, that is understandable, considering how high school basketball has changed. But, that used to be the best. I went to a small class D school, but we were in the state playoffs often. Before Class D was excluded from the Federation tournament, my high school actually won the Class D Federation. Our whole village was electrified.
Wow, that's awesome my friend, very cool!!! Yeah, the climate has definitely changed. I was bummed when the federation tourney got canceled...here's the release from last September on it if you wanted to take a look: New York State Federation Announces Basketball Tournament of Champions Cancelled - New York State Federation

I thought they were doing away with the Federation tournament, or is that next year?

beats me. I said I hadn't followed this stuff in a while. Doesn't seem like anyone is up to date on what NYS does for State Champions anymore.

Anyhow, good luck to West Genesee and Glens Falls.

Best shooter in the class
I know some want the staff to go and get somebody to compete for JJ’s spot but we may already have that in Choppa. If the shooting translates right away then I think he can push JJ for minutes. He’s not just a shooter either, lots to work with there and he seems to have a great work ethic.

I know some want the staff to go and get somebody to compete for JJ’s spot but we may already have that in Choppa. If the shooting translates right away then I think he can push JJ for minutes. He’s not just a shooter either, lots to work with there and he seems to have a great work ethic.
If he can shoot the ball consistently, he will play. It's 2024, you need lots of shooters out there.

I think you're right. He is not getting much hype, but I think Moore is going to surprise the fanbase. My bet is that his shooting is going to translate at this level.

He is going to get run, especially if he can defend.

I updated his stats from Overtime Elite to include the last couple regular season games and the playoffs.

Per Game:
  • 17.6 points
  • 2.6 assists
  • 3.4 rebounds
  • 1.0 steals
Per 40 Minutes:
  • 23.0 points
  • 3.4 assists
  • 4.5 rebounds
  • 1.4 steals
Shooting %'s:
  • FG%: 42.6%
  • 2PT%: 53.1%
  • 3PT%: 35.3%
  • FT%: 79.1%
  • TS%: 55.1%
He also led the league both in 3 point attempts and 3 point makes while being probably just a touch outside the top 10 in terms of 3 point % (filtered down on players that took them at solid volume).

I don't think we really know exactly how well Overtime Elite translates to college ball yet. Anyone that has watched their games can attest to the fact that while the players are talented relative to most high schoolers, it's not really a great brand of basketball. A lot of dreadful shot attempts, lackluster defense, etc. Having said that, it's feasible that would indicate that Moore may eclipse these shooting numbers when he hopefully takes better quality shots in college (granted the defense will generally be far better so maybe not?) Overall though, I reckon he's a pretty promising recruit. Certainly doesn't project to have the same sort of impact as Donnie, but I think just based on the numbers and quality of competition, he's a higher quality recruit than we've generally gotten in recent years. Copeland and Taylor for example played worse while also playing against much worse competition.

Big Eddie approves...
"My shooter for real"
Screenshot_20240404-121623_Instagram.jpg

I'm impressed that he also beat the female champion. It seems that the female always wins the Battle of Champions, in part because of the smaller ball.

Wow sports has changed so much since I was in highschool. The girls didn't have smaller balls back then they didn't have any balls at all.

I updated his stats from Overtime Elite to include the last couple regular season games and the playoffs.

Per Game:
  • 17.6 points
  • 2.6 assists
  • 3.4 rebounds
  • 1.0 steals
Per 40 Minutes:
  • 23.0 points
  • 3.4 assists
  • 4.5 rebounds
  • 1.4 steals
Shooting %'s:
  • FG%: 42.6%
  • 2PT%: 53.1%
  • 3PT%: 35.3%
  • FT%: 79.1%
  • TS%: 55.1%
He also led the league both in 3 point attempts and 3 point makes while being probably just a touch outside the top 10 in terms of 3 point % (filtered down on players that took them at solid volume).

I don't think we really know exactly how well Overtime Elite translates to college ball yet. Anyone that has watched their games can attest to the fact that while the players are talented relative to most high schoolers, it's not really a great brand of basketball. A lot of dreadful shot attempts, lackluster defense, etc. Having said that, it's feasible that would indicate that Moore may eclipse these shooting numbers when he hopefully takes better quality shots in college (granted the defense will generally be far better so maybe not?) Overall though, I reckon he's a pretty promising recruit. Certainly doesn't project to have the same sort of impact as Donnie, but I think just based on the numbers and quality of competition, he's a higher quality recruit than we've generally gotten in recent years. Copeland and Taylor for example played worse while also playing against much worse competition.
I'd be thrilled if Choppa goes for 35% from three as a true freshman.

A lot of really good shooters start off a lot worse than that. Hard to be a consistent outside threat as a freshman.