Class of 2015 - G Jamal Murray (ON) Verballed to Kentucky | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 G Jamal Murray (ON) Verballed to Kentucky

Cusefan0307 said:
Is there enough shots to go around for he and Briscoe?

It makes no sense. Ulis, Briscoe and Murray? I think Murray is the best of the bunch, but does Ulis come off the bench? As you noted, Briscoe is a volume shooter who seems to dominate the ball. Honestly, I don't know who Oregon has, but I think it is safe to say that Murray would be THE man there.

I love how Briscoe supposedly claimed he wanted to play the point because that would be his ticket to the NBA. Now he is sharing that responsibility with two other guys who are better on the ball than he is.

And Ulis! Murray is the best if the 3 IMO but all are ball in their hands type if guys. It's going to be the old dribble drive offense for Cal this year.
Yeah, big time. I think you will see two of them at times. Murray and Briscoe can definitely play off the ball. And when I say you will see two of them at times, I mean it won't be me. Only time I watched those turkeys is when they lost. And it was so very sweet!

I love how Briscoe supposedly claimed he wanted to play the point because that would be his ticket to the NBA. Now he is sharing that responsibility with two other guys who are better on the ball than he is.

I see Briscoe causing problems there this year. He barly passed in any of the all star games and like you say he will be asked to play off the ball quite a bit.

Kentucky starting five last year: 6'5 6'5 6'10 6'11 7'0
Kentucky starting five this year: 5'10 6'3 6'5 6'7 6'11

I think this is something that not many people are pointing out and it will be a huge issue for them. Cal is way overloaded at PG and doesn't even have a true center to backup Skal. This is what happens when you just take any player who gets 5 stars slapped on his name. I think Kentucky is going to be significantly worse next year because of the lack of size, and their defense will be their downfall because of it.

I'm not surprised Murray chose UK even though Ulis and Briscoe are already there. Calipari is not afraid to adjust his system to fit his roster. He had no problem playing three bigs simultaneously after Poythress got hurt last year so I don't think he'll hesitate playing three guards together if that's his best lineup.

This is strange from an SU standpoint. It is one thing for JB to Heisman a recruit that ends up at Temple or Buffalo, but doing that to a guy who ends up at UK gives me pause. I see three possibilities.

1. JB figured Murray's interest in SU was not as genuine as Murray said.
2. JB deduced the recruitment would eventually turn green and did not want to get involved.
bpph6uecmaaylaj.jpg-large.0.jpeg

Kentucky starting five last year: 6'5 6'5 6'10 6'11 7'0
Kentucky starting five this year: 5'10 6'3 6'5 6'7 6'11

I think this is something that not many people are pointing out and it will be a huge issue for them. Cal is way overloaded at PG and doesn't even have a true center to backup Skal. This is what happens when you just take any player who gets 5 stars slapped on his name. I think Kentucky is going to be significantly worse next year because of the lack of size, and their defense will be their downfall because of it.

That's okay. They're going to be like a better, more talented version of Villanova teams. Quickness and playmaking will be there. Who's going to have a defense that can stop all three of those guys on the perimeter, plus the inside talent — even without the dominant size? I don't worry about Kentucky winning games. I'm just glad we're not in their conference.

That's okay. They're going to be like a better, more talented version of Villanova teams. Quickness and playmaking will be there. Who's going to have a defense that can stop all three of those guys on the perimeter, plus the inside talent — even without the dominant size? I don't worry about Kentucky winning games. I'm just glad we're not in their conference.

I do agree with you for the most part - I'm sure Cal will find a way to make 3 PGs work. But I do see a major weakness at their 4 and 5 spots. Labissiere can't play the whole game and there is legitimately no one to back him up. I mean, we're worried about our center depth and we have 3 guys who can play there on our team, imagine if we only had 1. I think we'll see some major problems at that spot for Kentucky.

And about the conference thing, you're sure right about that. Dealing with Duke is enough. Let's just hope Ben Simmons is able to show 'em who's boss this year. ;)

Cal said: "Jamal is one of the best guards in the country." Isn't that an NCAA violation, since Murray has not signed a Letter Of Intent to go to Kentucky?

Last edited:
A team with an excellent zone. ;)

I do agree with you for the most part - I'm sure Cal will find a way to make 3 PGs work. But I do see a major weakness at their 4 and 5 spots. Labissiere can't play the whole game and there is legitimately no one to back him up. I mean, we're worried about our center depth and we have 3 guys who can play there on our team, imagine if we only had 1. I think we'll see some major problems at that spot for Kentucky.

And about the conference thing, you're sure right about that. Dealing with Duke is enough. Let's just hope Ben Simmons is able to show 'em who's boss this year. ;)

I'd certainly prefer to have their front court than ours. Don't see much problem with Labissiere, Marcus Lee & Poythress manning the 4 & 5. I'm sure Derek Willis is probably ready to contribute as well being a Jr and practicing with basically full nba teams for the last 2 years.

On the other hand if a guy has aspirations of getting to and making money in the NBA, going to Kentucky is a better place to go over us.

On the other hand if a guy has aspirations of getting to and making money in the NBA, going to Kentucky is a better place to go over us.

From the guard position I am not so sure. Bigs, yes. But the Harrison twins aren't going to get picked in the first round tonight and they were top ten recruits.

From the guard position I am not so sure. Bigs, yes. But the Harrison twins aren't going to get picked in the first round tonight and they were top ten recruits.

Bledsoe, Wall, Goodwin, Knight, Meeks, Rondo, Young. I'm sure they get guys to the league.

Bledsoe, Wall, Goodwin, Knight, Meeks, Rondo, Young. I'm sure they get guys to the league.

Flynn, Dion, MCW, Ennis...it's about a wash. Rondo and Meeks didn't even play for Cal man.

I'm not counting any Billy Gillespie recruits. That's not even the same road map. You can spin it any way you want. The Harrison's were both top 5-10 recruits and they aren't getting picked in the first round.

Anyways someone said it above, it'll be an interesting dynamic watching these guys share the ball.

Flynn, Dion, MCW, Ennis...it's about a wash. Rondo and Meeks didn't even play for Cal man.

I'm not counting any Billy Gillespie recruits. That's not even the same road map. You can spin it any way you want. The Harrison's were both top 5-10 recruits and they aren't getting picked in the first round.

Anyways someone said it above, it'll be an interesting dynamic watching these guys share the ball.

You just compared Syracuse to Kentucky when it comes to guards and included Flynn, Dion and Ennis? Come on, you're reaching pal.

You listed four guys, one of whom is no longer in the league. How is that a wash?

Why do people always have to get sensitive about Kentucky?
My point was these kids are going to the NBA regardless of who they play for. I didn't bringup draft potential cause of school. The Harrison's aren't getting into the NBA because they were overrated out of high school. It makes no difference who you play for in college, they would of been drafted out of high school anyway.

And yes it'll be interesting to see the Murray and Briscoe dynamic.

I'm not surprised Murray chose UK even though Ulis and Briscoe are already there. Calipari is not afraid to adjust his system to fit his roster. He had no problem playing three bigs simultaneously after Poythress got hurt last year so I don't think he'll hesitate playing three guards together if that's his best lineup.

This is strange from an SU standpoint. It is one thing for JB to Heisman a recruit that ends up at Temple or Buffalo, but doing that to a guy who ends up at UK gives me pause. I see three possibilities.

1. JB figured Murray's interest in SU was not as genuine as Murray said.
2. JB deduced the recruitment would eventually turn green and did not want to get involved.
bpph6uecmaaylaj.jpg-large.0.jpeg
Or, we figured he would reclassify and didn't have room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom