Class of 2016 - G John Gillon Jr. Commited to Syracuse | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G John Gillon Jr. Commited to Syracuse

At this point, barring a complete tank at the combine, Mal won't be back.

I'm a little uncertain why Gillon was a must get other than insurance for Mali not coming back. But if Mali does return, Gillon makes for four guards, which JB rarely, if ever, plays (think MCW as a freshman couldn't crack the lineup). Is Gillon a vote of non-confidence in Frank, which would be odd because Frank's the JB prototype for lead guard and could blow up next year just as MCW did? Is he another shooter we need? If Mali returns, JB's got to find back court minutes for Battle, Howard, Gillon and Mali. Hmmm...not his strong suit. In the front court, if Mali sometimes plays the 3, JB's got to find minutes for him, Lydon, TRob, Coleman, Moyer and Chuckwa in some combination, also not what he does best.

Unless Mali leaves, which is anything but certain because he's going to have to play his way into the first round, I don't get it...

If they listen to the wrong people, there are only 60 draft picks,some of these kids aren't going to get drafted. What Pub has he been gaining?
It's conjecture at this point . I mean we have people reading body language at this point to gather guesses on what he might do. If he isnt guaranteed lottery he shouldnt go like Jim said along those lines last night .

I'm a little uncertain why Gillon was a must get other than insurance for Mali not coming back. But if Mali does return, Gillon makes for four guards, which JB rarely, if ever, plays (think MCW as a freshman couldn't crack the lineup). Is Gillon a vote of non-confidence in Frank, which would be odd because Frank's the JB prototype for lead guard and could blow up next year just as MCW did? Is he another shooter we need? If Mali returns, JB's got to find back court minutes for Battle, Howard, Gillon and Mali. Hmmm...not his strong suit. In the front court, if Mali sometimes plays the 3, JB's got to find minutes for him, Lydon, TRob, Coleman, Moyer and Chuckwa in some combination, also not what he does best.

Unless Mali leaves, which is anything but certain because he's going to have to play his way into the first round, I don't get it...
Because we'd be one Frank Howard sprained ankle away from having zero scholarship point guards on our roster. Battle is a combo who can spell at point, but definitely wouldn't want him getting the majority of minutes there. Even moreso for Mali.

Gillon was a must get for insurance for Mal and for depth/insurance of back court injury. That is something we needed. The 2017's are nice for further into the future.

If Mal comes back, Gillon still has value. It is certainly possible he could work his way into minutes. He could beat out FH. If Gillon shows enough, Mal could be moved over to the 3, so Gillon would in theory be picking up some of the available forward minutes at the expense of Moyer/TR. Also as an experienced player with a good FT percentage it is reasonable to think he would be in there at end of game situations where SU has the lead.

Certainly a good add for the '16-'17 season. Now we just need Mal to come back.

2 teams called about him . Ones in the lottery and one is at 21. I'm pretty confident his chances are slim at lottery this year. And 21 also seems too high to me . If the Bulls and Hawks are the only teams highly interested in him I think he comes back just based on draft order.. He'd be rolling the dice IMO http://dystnow.com/2016/05/01/217092/
The guy who wrote this article can't be dumb enough to think the Bulls and Hawks are only inquiring about one single player, right?

re: four guards if Malachi returns

It would really be 3.5 Gs and 0.5 SF. Both Battle and Malachi, more likely Malachi, can rotate into the SF position and put three of the Gs on the floor at the same time.I like Lydon a lot, but I don't see him as a fulltime SF.

IMO, Malachi is gone, but it'd be real nice if he came back.

re: four guards if Malachi returns

It would really be 3.5 Gs and 0.5 SF. Both Battle and Malachi, more likely Malachi, can rotate into the SF position and put three of the Gs on the floor at the same time.I like Lydon a lot, but I don't see him as a fulltime SF.

IMO, Malachi is gone, but it'd be real nice if he came back.

IMO Malachi is not gone, he's open minded. He's going to weigh his options but is not leaning towards leaving. He wants to make an informed decision. I value your opinion but he's not gone at all.

IMO Malachi is not gone, he's open minded. He's going to weigh his options but is not leaning towards leaving. He wants to make an informed decision. I value your opinion but he's not gone at all.
I agree with regard to MR. Of course his body language is going to indicate that he would like to be in the NBA next year. If he didn't feel that way, he wouldn't have put his name in the draft. Like you said, he wants to make an informed decision. It could go either way depending on the information that he receives. He is in a great situation. If he gets really good feedback, he can go to the NBA this year. If he doesn't hear what he needs to hear, he can come back and know what to work on, while playing another year with his friends and shoot for a historic second final four in a row.

Seems like a straight-on replacement for Trevor Cooney to me. Maturity and steadiness in the locker room (we lose three big pieces there - including Christian White), hits about 35% of his shots, can drive and kick and hits his free throws. Same numbers. Only difficulty is defense. He's too little.

I like this kid's game. Looks like a Louisville guard.
Great comparison. Our press could be lethal this year. More quickness with Battle & Gillon, plus Chewie on the back end. I hope JB uses it more, not just as a tactic when we are down late. Plus, we have more depth, so foul trouble shouldn't be a big issue.

Great comparison. Our press could be lethal this year. More quickness with Battle & Gillon, plus Chewie on the back end. I hope JB uses it more, not just as a tactic when we are down late. Plus, we have more depth, so foul trouble shouldn't be a big issue.

I'd love to see it as a regular part of our arsenal. Not necessarily for long stretches but short 3min (or so) bursts of aggressive pressing that could be employed at anytime. I'd also like to see us push the ball quickly while we are in the press even on makes. Get some up and down open court bball into the mix please!

iommi said:

I think a good solid press with an excellent rim defender combined with our zone could force the shot clock down even further and allow our opponents even less time to get into their offense. I hope we do employ more press! Could see even more desperation threes. Just have to get the rebound lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom