Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns | Page 106 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns

Well, now that the Kadary fever dream has broken, what's the state of the state?

Kadary would have been a high-profile "get," had he come here. We have a big need at the 1, he's the top rated PG in the portal. Hammer meets nail. But now that he's St. John's bound:
  • Carlos becomes a big determinant of next year's team ceiling
  • Hope Westry is [1] healthy, [2] can quickly shake off any ring rust, and [3] can spell the point, a la Copeland
  • Also hope we add another wing shooter, to bolster what we already have
  • I caveat the previous bullet by indicating that I expect the coaches to primarily stand pat, and roll with JJ / Carlos / Westry / Moore as the backcourt
I expect they will not roll with 3 unfilled scholarships. What position(s) the potential portal adds may be--your guess is as good as mine.

When is red and the AD responsible for rallying the donor base behind his vision? We have a large fan base
and successful alumni. I think the AD has taken this loyalty for granted.

Relatively speaking, this is not true. SU has about 250,000 living alumni. This is half of the #10 on the list (Purdue). Ped St is #1 at ~675,000.

Bulldog literally says in this thread a few pages before that this was purely about the money.
And why wouldn’t it be. He’s Judah mintz g league combine prospect. He’d be a moron to leave 6 figures on the table. For the program that dumped him for Buddy and Joe he’s gonna take a haircut?!

Relatively speaking, this is not true. SU has about 250,000 living alumni. This is half of the #10 on the list (Purdue). Ped St is #1 at ~675,000.
"living alumni" doesnt equal fans

feels like just trying to find a negative spin on something that should be a positive - fan support of su basketball - but isnt bc NIL is twisted.

large fan attendance shuld equal large NIL...that it doesnt is a perversion of the system

feels like just trying to find a negative spin on something that should be a positive - fan support of su basketball - but isnt bc NIL is twisted.

large fan attendance shuld equal large NIL...that it doesnt is a perversion of the system
And SU has more non-graduate fans than State U's in the B1G and SEC? Not to mention non-grads who have close ties for other reasons--see Subway Alums of Notre Dame.

It’s just crazy that crappy St. John’s has more NIL money than Syracuse. Never in a million years would I imagine that to be the case. I get they now have Rick and the Vitamin Water guy but that’s still mind boggling.
It’s almost like going to the ACC isn’t making a difference, at least in this regard.

I expect they will not roll with 3 unfilled scholarships. What position(s) the potential portal adds may be--your guess is as good as mine.
May as well add the Rider guard in the portal. He averaged 8 points per game last year at D1.

HE HAS EXPERIENCE! TOUGH TO FIND GOOD PLAYERS TO FILL ROLES! WE ARE BETTER THAN LAST YEAR!

All a load of crap. Sick of the excuses and the mediocrity. Blame fans for not ponying up for NIL, yeah - that's it.

It's either all about the money all the time, or it's not all about the money all the time. But it can't be both. And our coaches need to do a better job of figuring out how to get better players. Don't really care how.

I pay zero. I will never pay NIL. It’s a matter of principle. If the team never wins another championship or isn’t competitive at the levels that I like because I didn’t contribute, so be it. Maybe I’ll deal with that, maybe I’ll just have to find another passion—after 40 years…. I’m still going to discuss NIL, recruiting that involves it, and various other peripheral matters. I may gripe about the system and value and related concepts. I won’t complain about whether we are paying enough or whether we have enough to pay. But there’s a fine line between the two sides.

This is all just insanely stupid, but I recognize that stupidity very frequently becomes the natural order of things in ‘culture.’ Doesn’t mean that I have to fall in line with it. Just that I have to live with the consequences of choosing a different direction.

Amazing, that this started because schools were making money and players thought they had a right to a share in it. And now, it doesn’t matter how much the schools profit, it’s the fans who have to pay. Maybe it gives some of you a closer sense of participation in the program and some sort of bond to the people you buy, and if that’s it, good for you.
NIL has nothing to do with the schools revenue from tickets, tv, etc. Its genesis sprang from the unconstitutional restriction on the players preventing them from being able to monetize their own name, image or likeness.

I dated a girl who went to SU for 4 years and never watched a game until she watched one with me and probably never watched another after we stopped talking. Dated a girl who went SU law when i lived out in Vegas, same thing.

I'm guessing 90% or more of the alumni couldn't name the head football or basketball coach let alone opening the wallet to make some 20 year old rich.

I dated a girl who went to SU for 4 years and never watched a game until she watched one with me and probably never watched another after we stopped talking. Dated a girl who went SU law when i lived out in Vegas, same thing.

I'm guessing 90% or more of the alumni couldn't name the head football or basketball coach let alone opening the wallet to make some 20 year old rich.
It just makes sense statistically. 98% of the alumni of any school go to the school purely for academics. 1-2% are athletes, even less than that at some of these huge public universities. Where Syracuse should have an advantage is with Newhouse as it relates to sports fans trying to become broadcasters. I would guess that a large portion of the students who attend games are there for the social aspect of it. I would guess 90% is even a low number.

I pay zero. I will never pay NIL. It’s a matter of principle. If the team never wins another championship or isn’t competitive at the levels that I like because I didn’t contribute, so be it. Maybe I’ll deal with that, maybe I’ll just have to find another passion—after 40 years…. I’m still going to discuss NIL, recruiting that involves it, and various other peripheral matters. I may gripe about the system and value and related concepts. I won’t complain about whether we are paying enough or whether we have enough to pay. But there’s a fine line between the two sides.

This is all just insanely stupid, but I recognize that stupidity very frequently becomes the natural order of things in ‘culture.’ Doesn’t mean that I have to fall in line with it. Just that I have to live with the consequences of choosing a different direction.

Amazing, that this started because schools were making money and players thought they had a right to a share in it. And now, it doesn’t matter how much the schools profit, it’s the fans who have to pay. Maybe it gives some of you a closer sense of participation in the program and some sort of bond to the people you buy, and if that’s it, good for you.
Leonardo Dicaprio Slow Clap GIF

Maybe the Yankees will start calling fans around the trade deadline, gotta shore up some funds to get that extra piece.

Fans investing into players is a 100% loss. Unless you're swinging around Vitamin Water or whatever business money around and you can play fantasy sports and get your jollys off with the big year. But for me, and I'm guessing a lot on here, it would be very difficult to part with 5-10k especially considering the amount I spend already.

Who makes out best if we're good? Not the people footing the bill. The university, the coach, the players, the program, the acc, and the ncaa are the ones who benefit.

I've pretty much cut out every sport from regular watching including the 15 college games a week at a minimum I used to watch, I can cut out 30 games and move on with life or when the sport stabilizes. Whatever is going on now is awful.

It just makes sense statistically. 98% of the alumni of any school go to the school purely for academics. 1-2% are athletes, even less than that at some of these huge public universities. Where Syracuse should have an advantage is with Newhouse as it relates to sports fans trying to become broadcasters. I would guess that a large portion of the students who attend games are there for the social aspect of it. I would guess 90% is even a low number.
You're probably right, I was thinking it may be higher.

Leonardo Dicaprio Slow Clap GIF

Maybe the Yankees will start calling fans around the trade deadline, gotta shore up some funds to get that extra piece.

Fans investing into players is a 100% loss. Unless you're swinging around Vitamin Water or whatever business money around and you can play fantasy sports and get your jollys off with the big year. But for me, and I'm guessing a lot on here, it would be very difficult to part with 5-10k especially considering the amount I spend already.

Who makes out best if we're good? Not the people footing the bill. The university, the coach, the players, the program, the acc, and the ncaa are the ones who benefit.

I've pretty much cut out every sport from regular watching including the 15 college games a week at a minimum I used to watch, I can cut out 30 games and move on with life or when the sport stabilizes. Whatever is going on now is awful.
I wouldn’t say it’s a 100% loss. I don’t identify with it, but I can understand how a fan paying into a NIL fund makes them feel like a ‘shareholder’ in the program. I can understand people wanting to be ‘micro boosters’ and having tangible effect on a program. If you can get satisfaction from that, that’s not a loss. It goes against what i believe in, but I’m not going to judge it. It’s the way of the world. I think selfies are insidious and vulgar and stupid, but who am I to judge?

If I were a local binnisman, and had a cereal or a car dealership or a carpet cleaning biz and could benefit from a player’s endorsement or appearances, sure—pony up and look for some ROI. Or, if you’re an upstate billionaire and want to buy your way into Salt City Celebrity—what better way? But, 3,000 miles away and too old to just accept every ridiculous trend or fad or culture shift—no, this is not for me.

And look what it has done already. Pitted fans against each other. I despise tribalism. Represents primitive minds. And already we’ve got the sowing of more division—those who pay vs those who don’t. And the added kicker: if you don’t pay, you have no right to express an opinion. So, if I don’t check the little box on my tax forms, and don’t donate $5 to a political party, I surrender the right to vote or discuss politics?

Weird stuff—people were prideful about throwing money into a portal transfer’s coffers AFTER we thought we had him. Which I don’t understand. If NiL is an inducement to come and be Our Mercenary, what’s the incentive to give him more money after he’s already accepted the offer? To be able to say you’re responsible for gassing up his G-Wagon for two weeks?

Ick.

But, yeah, as you said, it’s the schools and NCAA who must be giddy at the situation. Somehow, for their benefit, it’s no longer even about the player’s name, image, or likeness. How did that get perverted so quickly?

Fwiw, heard we were around the 400-500k market for Kadary..
I would say that’s about right. Some if the numbers being thrown around are totally out of whack. He’s a good player, but not a difference maker. Personally, I’m not disappointed in not getting him. We don’t need another ball dominating guard who can’t shoot and takes plays off on defense. It sounds too familiar to what we just got done watching. I want another wing shooter. We have five solid guards who will demand playing time. We need another frontcourt player. Carlos, JJ, Chance, Moore and Cuffe will be Just fine. They all bring something a little different to the table.

I would say that’s about right. Some if the numbers being thrown around are totally out of whack. He’s a good player, but not a difference maker. Personally, I’m not disappointed in not getting him. We don’t need another ball dominating guard who can’t shoot and takes plays off on defense. It sounds too familiar to what we just got done watching. I want another wing shooter. We have five solid guards who will demand playing time. We need another frontcourt player. Carlos, JJ, Chance, Moore and Cuffe will be Just fine. They all bring something a little different to the table.
Not a difference maker?! He could be Big East Preseason Player of the Year! He was 1st Team All-Big East last year. And he was a difference maker in his one season for us. That’s crazy talk.

What’s crazy is if 6,000 people donated 10 $ a month then that is 720,000 $… do we not have 6k people donating as it is??

What’s crazy is if 6,000 people donated 10 $ a month then that is 720,000 $… do we not have 6k people donating as it is??

There is more than one player to pay. But in general I think we are on the short side of where we need to be with NIL money.