Class of 2016 - G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland

People, please. STOP with the revisionist history.

We did NOT have a scholarship AT THE TIME to offer Huerter. Period, full stop.
He then got an offer from the Terps, and accepted.

We found out like 2 weeks later that we were getting another schollie back - but it was too late.

We found out like 2 weeks later that we were getting another schollie back - but it was too late.

Exactly right. It came down to a scholarship not being available and nothing more. This was not an error by the staff in any way. Amazing that folks still say that sanctions did not hurt us. Huerter is just one example of sanctions impacting us. He would have been Orange if not for sanctions. Still, I like who we have.

Cuse

Great now I get to look at how I liked Moyer over Huerter. Thanks.
Cuse 1, Huerter 0. Maryland would have won easily if Turgeon knew how to take advantage of his best player.

From JB's presser tonight:

Huerter is a tremendous player, and we didn't have scholarships – that’s another factor that everybody thinks well, the NCAA doesn’t hurt you too much – oh yeah, it hurts you. It crushes you. We knew he was a good player and a great shooter—a perfect wing-type of player for us. We just couldn’t go after him at the time because we didn't have scholarships. But he is a tremendous player and a tremendous shooter.

Huerter is a tremendous player, and we didn't have scholarships – that’s another factor that everybody thinks well, the NCAA doesn’t hurt you too much – oh yeah, it hurts you. It crushes you. We knew he was a good player and a great shooter—a perfect wing-type of player for us. We just couldn’t go after him at the time because we didn't have scholarships. But he is a tremendous player and a tremendous shooter.

and that puts an end to any discussion of a miss by the staff. Straight from JB's mouth as to what happened.

Trust the Process

One of the greatest things I've heard from JB in awhile. Paying a fantastic compliment to the player, attempting to keep the recruiting alive in the Albany area, and poking the NCAA bear at the same time. Loved it.

I thought this was common knowledge. We wanted KH to prep because we didn't have a schollie for him AND for Battle. He thought he was good enough to play right away so he didn't wait. He was right.

and that puts an end to any discussion of a miss by the staff. Straight from JB's mouth as to what happened.

Trust the Process

They even asked him to consider a year of prep school.

"We just couldn’t go after him at the time because we didn't have scholarships."
I don't know the very specific details involved, but this doesn't seem to stop UK and Duke and others... just sayin'. Schools go after lots of recruits without the schollies immediately available. SU appeals NCAA decision on 15 March 2015. Huerter bailed on visiting SU on 5 August and he committed to MD 7 Sept 2015. SU received an a scholarship back on 25 November 2015. Malachi declared for the draft on 16 April 2016.

I just don't think there is any rule where a team can't have a recruit commit without a scholarship spot technically being "open". I don't blame Huerter for not wanting to wait until spring to commit, but SU knew that they would likely receive a scholarship back and ultimately pushed Kaleb and Obokoh out the door anyway. Malachi was a McD and I figure those kids are likely one and done anyway.

I thought this was common knowledge. We wanted KH to prep because we didn't have a schollie for him AND for Battle. He thought he was good enough to play right away so he didn't wait. He was right.

Didn’t expect Malachi to leave.

But the coaching staff was pretty confident we’d get one schollie back on appeal a few months later. The staff should have just rolled the dice with Huerter and assume it would work out scholarship wise. Remember, we lost Diagne in August, so we started pursuing Thompson right after that because we then had a hole and needed to find another impact front court guy for the following season. The plan was that if we signed TT, he was gonna take the open Diagne schollie. The appeal to get us back to 11 scholarships would have opened up another.

On top of all that, I really don’t know why the staff failed to envision that either Mali would be 1-and-done (especially with the featured scoring role he was going to get as a frosh alongside G and Cooney) or that Joseph or Howard would end up being unhappy with their playing time, see the writing on the wall with Battle coming in, and decide to transfer. One of those things was gonna happen, and it was an obvious bet to make. Then both Mali and Joseph ended up leaving and we were forced to go get 2 grad transfers. I know the NCAA sanctions are ultimately to blame, but I’ve said over and over again this staff is too conservative in backfilling positions and doesn’t do a good enough job of predicting who may leave or not. Cal doesn’t seem to worry about which freshman will be one and done. He just goes and gets the best guys he can and worries about scholarship limitations later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom