Class of 2019 - G Quincy Guerrier (QB) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 G Quincy Guerrier (QB) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else get some James Harden vibes from this kid? Hyperbole, for sure, but he has that effortless offensive skill and swagger to him.

Any questions regarding the 2019-20 team should be centered around defense at this point. With carey, hughes, buddy, girard, brycen, marek, and now guerrier all assumed to be here, we’ve got buckets for days. Would love to avoid a 2016-17 repeat with how poor that defense was, despite the offensive fire power it had.

A shame we’re perceived to be out of the akok and stewart races cause i actually think either of those guys would be such good fits for what we still need in this class. I see Akok more as a 4/5 like Stewart, with the ability to defend and rebound. Hopefully something changes in their recruitments with either of them, otherwise i’d love to snag Carrigan. He’d be a beast since he’s personally said his focus is on the defensive end. Wahab would be solid too but think Carrigan is more ready to contribute from the jump.

Not bypassing the potential of sidibe either, but let’s see if he’s even healthy above all else!

Last edited:
So this is the kid I really wanted in this class. Great scorer who is really long. Great fit for us. We’ll see about 1 and done...the extra semester will help a lot.

Great great class so far. I really think the only guy we’re on right now that we can get is Wahab.

Akok ain’t happening, nor is Stewart.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see us get involved with a big late in the cycle.
Agreed. Quincy was the kid I wanted since we first started recruiting him and he made his unofficial visit to campus in June 2017. Love his game. And he was great on the AAU circuit last summer.

Question... if it's pretty much decided that Quincy is not a 4 year player, why not let him play this year? I know we are already deep, but could you imagine having a kid with his ability coming off the bench if the team is struggling to score? I think it would be silly not to use him if he isn't a 4 year program player.
I'm with you, I don't see much downside in him playing this spring.

Could it be not wanting to lose him too early a la some of the other recent early leavers? If he shines too hard in the spring could he even leave after just 1 semester??

Or maybe just playing it safe with the eligibility in case he isn't a 1 or 2 done.

I'm with you, I don't see much downside in him playing this spring.

Could it be not wanting to lose him too early a la some of the other recent early leavers? If he shines too hard in the spring could he even leave after just 1 semester??

Or maybe just playing it safe with the eligibility in case he isn't a 1 or 2 done.
Well, if he plays one semester, is he more likely to leave for the NBA? Can he?

Well, if he plays one semester, is he more likely to leave for the NBA? Can he?

To your last question -- yes, he would be able to leave for the NBA.

I see his path unfolding one of four ways:
  1. He comes in and redshirts, spends the semester acclimating to college life / basketball, learns the zone, and is well positioned to start next season as a "non-rookie" frosh
  2. He comes in and is too good to sit, or we sustain an injury so he becomes a depth insurance policy, but he doesn't play enough to make the jump so he's back
  3. He comes in and is too good to sit, or we sustain an injury, and he uses this abbreviated year as a platform to go pro this offseason
  4. He isn't quite good enough for the NBA, and plays 3 or 4 years

This is the guy right here - huge pickup.

Slightly underrated prospect (only ranked by 1 service) who was MVP of Canadian All Star game (like another guy who quickly showed he was underrated as well: O. Brissett).

Continues/strengthens our pipeline to Canada, which has been getting more lucrative past few years. This is important, as it seemed to play a role here (relationship with Oshae & others, also K Joseph congratulated him on the halftime show commitment interview).

And this guy is exactly type of player we needed: a stone cold scorer.

SU doesn’t seem to have a problem getting really good, “solid” all around ballplayers...guys like Howard, Lydon, Fair, Cooney, etc.

But, IMO, we don’t often get those high-level offensive talent type players. Guys who can get their shot at any time, even if offense is struggling. (Battle is last one...then maybe Malachi?)

I think this may be because guys who show that ability in HS are recruited hard & by everyone. The “elite” schools are usually involved & maybe even a “bag” is exchanged. And once a recruitment is trending in that direction, JB seems to sense it & (correctly) backoff.

And/or, such top recruits sometimes have “attitude deficiencies” haha. JB also doesn’t like to pursue such kids either.

(Just for example, I’m talking guys like Cam Reddish, Lonnie Walker, Isaiah Briscoe, Isaiah Whitehead, Wayne Seldon...these are guys SU had some shot with that passed on us.)

So, SU tends to take slightly raw guys & develop them into high level scorers, or take them as a transfer candidate, etc.

But with Guerrier & this new “Canadian pipeline” (aka OB before him), JB may have found a way to get these types of players. We’ll see - not sure 2 guys makes a “trend” but it is certainly “trending” that direction.

Congrats to Quincy on picking a great school that will showcase his talents really well & do right by the kid.

Congrats to the SU coaches. Textbook recruitment right here. Identified the prospect early, made him one of his first offers (and one of our first in cycle), and then put in the WORK. Now that’s how it’s done.

And finally, congrats to the SU players, who really stepped up in this recruitment. One of our posters who’s our “Instagram Interpreter” (Cusesky8214) swore that Quincy’s interactions with the guys (Oshae, Tyus, etc.) was genuine & seemed to make this more or less an open secret that Quincy was all Orange. That doesn’t happen often & it should be noted.

Great job fellas - doing their part to ensure that SU basketball enjoys continued success. That speaks to the level of engagement with & commitment to the program.

Last edited:
To your last question -- yes, he would be able to leave for the NBA.

I see his path unfolding one of four ways:
  1. He comes in and redshirts, spends the semester acclimating to college life / basketball, learns the zone, and is well positioned to start next season as a "non-rookie" frosh
  2. He comes in and is too good to sit, or we sustain an injury so he becomes a depth insurance policy, but he doesn't play enough to make the jump so he's back
  3. He comes in and is too good to sit, or we sustain an injury, and he uses this abbreviated year as a platform to go pro this offseason
  4. He isn't quite good enough for the NBA, and plays 3 or 4 years

Anything can happen as we saw in the Darius situation, but in Mike Waters article this morning, Quincy seems pretty set on redshirting when he joins us.

Slightly underrated prospect (only ranked by 1 service) who was MVP of Canadian All Star game (like another guy who quickly showed he was underrated as well: O. Brissett).

Continues/strengthens our pipeline to Canada, which has been getting more lucrative past few years. This is important, as it seemed to play a role here (relationship with Oshae & others, also K Joseph congratulated him on the halftime show commitment interview).

SU doesn’t seem to have a problem getting really good. “solid” all around ballplayers...guys like Howard, Lydon, Fair, Clooney, etc.

But, IMO, we don’t often get those high-level offensive talent type players. Guys who can get their shot at any time, even if offense is struggling. (Battle is last one...then maybe Malachi?)

I think this may be because guys who show that ability in HS are recruited hard & by everyone. The “elite” schools are usually involved & maybe even a “bag” is exchanged. And once a recruitment is trending in that direction, JB seems to sense it & (correctly) backoff.

And/or, such top recruits sometimes have “attitude deficiencies” haha. JB also doesn’t like to pursue such kids either.

(Just for example, I’m talking guys like Cam Reddish, Lonnie Walker, Isaiah Briscoe, Isaiah Whitehead, Wayne Seldon...these are guys SU had some shot with that passed on us.)

So, SU tends to take slightly raw guys & develop them into high level scorers, or take them as a transfer candidate, etc.

But with Guerrier & this new “Canadian pipeline” (aka OB before him), JB may have found a way to get these types of players. We’ll see - not sure 2 guys makes a “trend” but it is certainly “trending” that direction.

Congrats to Quincy on picking a great school that will showcase his talents really well & do right by the kid.

Congrats to the SU coaches. Textbook recruitment right here. Identified the prospect early, made him one of his first offers (and one of our first in cycle), and then put in the WORK. Now that’s how it’s done.

And finally, congrats to the SU players, who really stepped up in this recruitment. One of our posters who’s our “Instagram Interpreter” (Cusesky8214) swore that Quincy’s interactions with the guys (Oshae, Tyus, etc.) was genuine & seemed to make this more or less an open secret that Quincy was all Orange. That doesn’t happen often & it should be noted.

Great job fellas - doing their part to ensure that SU basketball enjoys continued success. That speaks to the level of engagement with & commitment to the program.

Great post.

SU doesn’t seem to have a problem getting really good, “solid” all around ballplayers...guys like Howard, Lydon, Fair, Cooney, etc.

Terrific post!

Question... if it's pretty much decided that Quincy is not a 4 year player, why not let him play this year? I know we are already deep, but could you imagine having a kid with his ability coming off the bench if the team is struggling to score? I think it would be silly not to use him if he isn't a 4 year program player.
Because of team chemistry, and the construction of continuing success of the program. QG's skill set is a lot like Battles and Brissetts. He is somewhat redundant this year but can be seen with a sizable role next year being one of the primary scorers.

This years QG minutes would probably come at the expense of Marek. No need to stunt Mareks development. QG can do a half year apprenticeship and come in like Hughes this year.

QG is a great get! The future looks bright.

Akok ain’t happening, nor is Stewart.

tenor.gif

why wouldn't Stewart want to come here now when this class would be this loaded?

He still might choose to come here.

All comes down to what's important to the kid. Some find the allure of Duke too much to pass up. Others view UK as a quick path to the NBA / maximum exposure to help their draft position. Maybe he's just more comfortable with Hop. Or for some inexplicable reason enjoys the hellish style of play that Izzo employs.

Hopefully, he values playing for a blue chip program down the road from home, a la John Wallace.

Let me be very clear... for recruiting I'd trust Jake's opinion over my own 100 out of 100 times. That said... I just don't think we're out on Stewart. The situation is too fluid. Just a day or so ago he spoke about Nova and Indiana being out, but the other 5 all being alive. If we were out, he easily could have tossed us aside too. I kinda think his family would love to have him stay close a year before he goes away his entire NBA career. It may end up we're on the opposite side of an Akok situation this time where friends and family all want cuse and the player is kinda gazing elsewhere. Hope JB and company can convince him the grass isn't always greener.

Let me be very clear... for recruiting I'd trust Jake's opinion over my own 100 out of 100 times. That said... I just don't think we're out on Stewart. The situation is too fluid. Just a day or so ago he spoke about Nova and Indiana being out, but the other 5 all being alive. If we were out, he easily could have tossed us aside too. I kinda think his family would love to have him stay close a year before he goes away his entire NBA career. It may end up we're on the opposite side of an Akok situation this time where friends and family all want cuse and the player is kinda gazing elsewhere. Hope JB and company can convince him the grass isn't always greener.
This could be the final piece of the pie Stewart was waiting to see. At Duke and Kentucky you blend in with other stars. At Cuse, you become the cornerstone. Given our return to being ranked and back on national stage, his prospects for nba are as good as anywhere.

Friends on team
Best venue
Near home
Great birthday cake
Cool uniforms

Posts like this are what makes this board so awesome. You nailed it. I really wanted one of two guys this cycle: Quincy or Khalil Whitney. Mission accomplished. We're rolling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.