Class of 2023 - G Reid Ducharme (MA / Brewster) Offered | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 G Reid Ducharme (MA / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said nothing about Gertrude. I believe he is a late bloomer - it happens.

This kid was a priority recruit, I was told, dating back to a year ago. He has offers from Virginia Tech, Xavier, Miami. Hardly Final Four-caliber programs.

I am not saying he's a bad player. He isn't. But he isn't the type of kid this program prioritizes that early - even dating back to last year, we offered about 5-6 guards that were better and had better offers.

As for your last comment about "exceptions", let me list a couple more exceptions prior to this mediocre run.

2007 - Donte Greene - McD AA - Top 20 recruit
2007 - Jonny Flynn - Top 25 recruit
2010 - Dion Waters - Top 25 recruit
2010 - Fab Melo - Top 15 recruit
2011 - Rakeem Christmas - Top 20 recruit - McD AA
2011 - Michael Carter Williams - Top 25 recruit
2012 - Dajuan Coleman - Top 15 recruit - McD AA - Chose SU over Kentucky
2013 - Tyler Ennis - Top 30 recruit
2013 - Tyler Roberson - Top 30 recruit - Chose SU over Kansas
2014 - Chris McCullough - Top 25 recruit - Chose SU over Kansas
2015 - Malachi Richardson - Top 25 recruit - McD AA

We haven't had a Top 30 player since Richardson. And we've been a mediocre program since then. Not acceptable.
I think it is ridiculous to put on the thread where we are talking about a player that hey, years ago, this kid wouldn't have been recruited here. That must make the kid feel real good about Syracuse if he reads this.

I think it is ridiculous to put on the thread where we are talking about a player that hey, years ago, this kid wouldn't have been recruited here. That must make the kid feel real good about Syracuse if he reads this.
Especially when it is based on rankings. What about Cooney, Rautins, Triche...did we recruit them?

It was always going to be difficult to get 2023 recruits because of the large 2022 class and coaching uncertainty. I was hoping for Ducharme as a nice 4-year player. Hopefully we can get at least one 2023 recruit. We'll likely need to rely on the transfer portal, and, most importantly, do whatever it takes to retain the 2022 guys.

If kids don't come because of one message on a message board, then are they really making the decision for all the right reasons?

I could list 120 things higher on the priority list. This sort of thing always makes me laugh.

Taylor was a top 50 player going into his senior year until he wasn’t. The lists are fluid. This is dumb. And I never said Ducharme blew up. I said he’s better than you give him credit for, but you’re so fixated on the top 100. I am attacking this line of thinking because theres a lot of fans that just look at these lists without watching guys play. And for the last time I don’t disagree we need better players.
We don't need better players? I can handle your take on everything else - that's your opinion. But we don't need better players? The eye test and results tell me you're sorely mistaken.

Especially when it is based on rankings. What about Cooney, Rautins, Triche...did we recruit them?
Cooney was a Top 50 kid who redshirted.

Rautins and Triche were local legacies.

If kids don't come because of one message on a message board, then are they really making the decision for all the right reasons?

I could list 120 things higher on the priority list. This sort of thing always makes me laugh.
Yeah, 18 year old's always make wise decisions. As opposed to older people who take the time to run down a kid on his recruiting thread. Yours was a poorly timed and placed post. The fact that you can't understand that doesn't make me laugh. I for one, would be very happy to get this kid. And I would have been at any time in our recruiting history.

We don't need better players? I can handle your take on everything else - that's your opinion. But we don't need better players? The eye test and results tell me you're sorely mistaken.
Can you read? I said I don’t disagree we need better players. What do you think that means? I happen to like Reid more than you. I wish you would debate more with your eyes than mentioning a list.

Can you read? I said I don’t disagree we need better players. What do you think that means. I happen to like Reid more than you. I wish you would debate more with your eyes than mentioning a list.
No I cannot. I misread.

Better players usually equates to higher rankings, on average.

It was always going to be difficult to get 2023 recruits because of the large 2022 class and coaching uncertainty. I was hoping for Ducharme as a nice 4-year player. Hopefully we can get at least one 2023 recruit. We'll likely need to rely on the transfer portal, and, most importantly, do whatever it takes to retain the 2022 guys.
We already took a step in the direction of holding on to guys when we didn't push as hard as we could have to keep Cole.

Yeah, 18 year old's always make wise decisions. As opposed to older people who take the time to run down a kid on his recruiting thread. Yours was a poorly timed and placed post. The fact that you can't understand that doesn't make me laugh. I for one, would be very happy to get this kid. And I would have been at any time in our recruiting history.
I'm not running down the kid. It has nothing to do with the kid. He's a good player. I just don't happen to think he's an immediate difference maker given what we already have and what the program needs to be successful at the highest level.

We already took a step in the direction of holding on to guys when we didn't push as hard as we could have to keep Cole.
UNC keeps McD AA's through their senior year. We kept a kid who is talented but hasn't put it all together and hasn't proven ready for primetime. I hope the gamble pays off, but it is exactly that - a very big gamble.

I'm not running down the kid. It has nothing to do with the kid. He's a good player. I just don't happen to think he's an immediate difference maker given what we already have and what the program needs to be successful at the highest level.
Not many kids are immediate difference makers. The perfect isn't the enemy of the good. Reid will be a good player where ever he goes. I'm not sure it's as good as 50/50 right now. I really hope we get him.

UNC keeps McD AA's through their senior year. We kept a kid who is talented but hasn't put it all together and hasn't proven ready for primetime. I hope the gamble pays off, but it is exactly that - a very big gamble.
Who are you referring to? Joe? Jesse?

Cooney was a Top 50 kid who redshirted.

Rautins and Triche were local legacies.
Where was Cooney top 50? Who cares if Rautins and Triche were local legacy recruits? There are plenty of local legacy recruits that don't get offered. They were evaluated by the staff and found worthy. Staff's evaluation trumps recruiting services.

Agreed. Cole probably could have been convinced to stay, and he absolutely would have made the team better, but that would have upset the 2022 guys who were told during their recruitment that Cole, Buddy and Jimmy were leaving. Then the staff refused to look for a veteran forward transfer. Hopefully those points are not lost on the freshmen.

No Not at all. I am wondering who you are referring to that we kept.
Your quote was

“We already took a step in the direction of holding on to guys when we didn't push as hard as we could have to keep Cole.”

To me, that means we “held on” to guys that were not going to come back had Cole returned, and did come back because we didn’t push hard to keep Cole.

And if you’re referring to our incoming class - why on earth would you not re-recruit a guy who averaged 14 ppg and instead rely on 40 minutes from freshmen who may or may not be ready for prime time?

I would also like to ask if any program in the country that wants to win would be making such decisions coming off a 16-17 season and coming off 7 straight sub par years?

What does "kept" mean? We were going to ask a top-50 kid to leave after his freshman season?

Because other programs need more ammo to recruit against us, right?
dasher said we “held on” to kids by not pursuing Cole to return. If Cole comes back, Benny is more likely to transfer - not be asked to leave.

Why give them any reason at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors