Class of 2023 - G Reid Ducharme (MA / Brewster) Offered | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 G Reid Ducharme (MA / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, Ducharmes team, BABC, didn’t make Peach Jam. They are playing other EYBL teams that also didn’t make it. Still games though.

So, he’s kinda like JGIII;
feasting on lower-level comp, fattening up his stats vs. softer opponents?

What happened? We seemed to be in good shape just a short time ago.

Could be a number of factors:

Perception of available PT.

Syracuse's losing record last year being used to negatively recruit against us.

The program's extended period of decline being used to negatively recruit against us.

Uncertainty about whether JB will be there to coach him.

Or some combination thereof.

it's not over but we didn't seize the moment. And the biggest thing is that we have a 7 man class. I think Xavier has like 5 guys for next year. Plus, Reid only plays the 2.

Any idea of the Mintz camp expectation is he is one and done? If we strikeout on 23 guys...

This is a kid Syracuse would pass on 10 years ago. Just an FYI.
Maybe - if SU passed on him it would be because we had MCW (freshman), Dion Waiters (soph), Trevor Cooney (freshman), Scoop Jardine (Sr), Brandon Triche (jr), and Michael Gbinije (r soph) as a transfer. There wasn't a lot of playing time available.

Probably Sean Miller…
They just offered. Haven’t we been pursuing him for a year? Miller just got that job a couple months ago.

Last edited:
Maybe - if SU passed on him it would be because we had MCW (freshman), Dion Waiters (soph), Trevor Cooney (freshman), Scoop Jardine (Sr), Brandon Triche (jr), and Michael Gbinije (r soph) as a transfer. There wasn't a lot of playing time available.
Exactly my point. We were loaded. MCW was a better prospect and he sat the bench.

To say we wouldn’t have recruited this kid 10 years ago is not accurate. He’s averaging about 18 a game in the EYBL and under ranked just like Gertrude on the City Rocks.
Maybe I overstated a bit but my point was more that he would not be a priority recruit.

Priority recruits would be Top 25 kids. Like Waiters, MCW. Even Top 50 guys like Scoop.

The underrated guys were generally centers - Onuaku, Keita - or local guys - Triche, Rautins.

This kid would have been the last player taken in a class. As many of the others in the last class would have. Not the first/only.

Maybe I overstated a bit but my point was more that he would not be a priority recruit.

Priority recruits would be Top 25 kids. Like Waiters, MCW. Even Top 50 guys like Scoop.

The underrated guys were generally centers - Onuaku, Keita - or local guys - Triche, Rautins.

This kid would have been the last player taken in a class. As many of the others in the last class would have. Not the first/only.
I still don’t agree. He’s on par with Gavin Griffiths who’s going to Rutgers and ranked 35th. If you’re just looking at rankings and not watching kids play I have no counter to that. He’s still getting offers and he should be ranked higher. The same should be said for Gertrude. Hard to argue with you if the the only point you’re making is a number on a list. And if you don’t want to hear my opinion maybe go listen to Dean’s podcast.

Even the Waiters and MCW’s were exceptions back then.

Well we'd also be competing for top 3 seeds in the tourney and conference championships. Pretty direct correlation between recruiting, talent and results.

Well we'd also be competing for top 3 seeds in the tourney and conference championships. Pretty direct correlation between recruiting, talent and results.
I don’t disagree we had better talent back then and we need to figure out our coaching situation, but the logic we should recruit players based on ranking is so incredibly stupid and easy to poke holes in that every time it gets brought up I roll my eyes.

By this logic we were right to recruit Justin Taylor when he was top 50, but should have backed off once he fell and we never should have recruited and signed MCW when he was initially a 3 star recruit. It’s an absolutely terrible idea to base your recruiting this way.

The point of the matter is these rankings for 2023 and 2024 aren’t final and are fluid based on how kids play and the offers they receive. There’s too many people who think they how good a player is by looking at a list instead of actually following how they play.

I still don’t agree. He’s on par with Gavin Griffiths who’s going to Rutgers and ranked 35th. If you’re just looking at rankings and not watching kids play I have no counter to that. He’s still getting offers and he should be ranked higher. The same should be said for Gertrude. Hard to argue with you if the the only point you’re making is a number on a list. And if you don’t want to hear my opinion maybe go listen to Dean’s podcast.

Even the Waiters and MCW’s were exceptions back then.
I said nothing about Gertrude. I believe he is a late bloomer - it happens.

This kid was a priority recruit, I was told, dating back to a year ago. He has offers from Virginia Tech, Xavier, Miami. Hardly Final Four-caliber programs.

I am not saying he's a bad player. He isn't. But he isn't the type of kid this program prioritizes that early - even dating back to last year, we offered about 5-6 guards that were better and had better offers.

As for your last comment about "exceptions", let me list a couple more exceptions prior to this mediocre run.

2007 - Donte Greene - McD AA - Top 20 recruit
2007 - Jonny Flynn - Top 25 recruit
2010 - Dion Waters - Top 25 recruit
2010 - Fab Melo - Top 15 recruit
2011 - Rakeem Christmas - Top 20 recruit - McD AA
2011 - Michael Carter Williams - Top 25 recruit
2012 - Dajuan Coleman - Top 15 recruit - McD AA - Chose SU over Kentucky
2013 - Tyler Ennis - Top 30 recruit
2013 - Tyler Roberson - Top 30 recruit - Chose SU over Kansas
2014 - Chris McCullough - Top 25 recruit - Chose SU over Kansas
2015 - Malachi Richardson - Top 25 recruit - McD AA

We haven't had a Top 30 player since Richardson. And we've been a mediocre program since then. Not acceptable.

I don’t disagree we had better talent back then and we need to figure out our coaching situation, but the logic we should recruit players based on ranking is so incredibly stupid and easy to poke holes in that every time it gets brought up I roll my eyes.

By this logic we were right to recruit Justin Taylor when he was top 50, but should have backed off once he fell and we never should have recruited and signed MCW when he was initially a 3 star recruit. It’s an absolutely terrible idea to base your recruiting this way.

The point of the matter is these rankings for 2023 and 2024 aren’t final and are fluid based on how kids play and the offers they receive. There’s too many people who think they how good a player is by looking at a list instead of actually following how they play.
Taylor is going to be a nice piece, but isn't a Top 30 guy. Never was.

MCW had potential and was absolutely a Top 30 guy.

Reid is a nice player too - but isn't a guy that's going to lead you to a Final Four or an ACC title. He can be a piece, but we have a bunch of pieces. We haven't had a go-to guy that was legitimate in a long time. And we are lacking the high-end talent you need to be competitive at the highest level. Which is why the prioritization of him makes absolutely no sense to me.

All that said, we still are 50-50 to land him - which is crazier still, given Syracuse's association with the ACC. But it shows our place in the landscape of college basketball these days.

Taylor is going to be a nice piece, but isn't a Top 30 guy. Never was.

MCW had potential and was absolutely a Top 30 guy.

Reid is a nice player too - but isn't a guy that's going to lead you to a Final Four or an ACC title. He can be a piece, but we have a bunch of pieces. We haven't had a go-to guy that was legitimate in a long time. And we are lacking the high-end talent you need to be competitive at the highest level. Which is why the prioritization of him makes absolutely no sense to me.

All that said, we still are 50-50 to land him - which is crazier still, given Syracuse's association with the ACC. But it shows our place in the landscape of college basketball these days.
I never said he was top 30. I said Taylor was top 50 at one point. Google is your friend. I think the logic you are using is questionable at best. If we offered MCW today when he was a 3 star you would probably complain. I literally said we need more talent in my post, but basing it off rankings that are fluid makes zero sense. And there’s more than one way to skin a cat. Lately it’s been veteran teams winning. Not squads with a bunch of top 50 guys. Hopefully Mintz has us on a good start, but even with our coaching situation this was never going to be a large class.

I never said he was top 30. I said Taylor was top 50 at one point. Google is your friend. I think the logic you are using is questionable at best. If we offered MCW today when he was a 3 star you would probably complain. I literally said we need more talent in my post, but basing it off rankings that are fluid makes zero sense. And there’s more than one way to skin a cat. Lately it’s been veteran teams winning. Not squads with a bunch of top 50 guys. Hopefully Mintz has us on a good start, but even with our coaching situation this was never going to be a large class.
My point with Taylor being a Top 50 guy is that he's a nice player, but not elite. And MCW was Top 30 by summer going into his senior year. He committed as a 3-star recruit as a sophomore - totally different calculus there.

By this time, you know where kids stand going into their senior years. Rankings don't change as much as they do early.

For as much as Ducharme has "blown up," he certainly hasn't received very many new offers. Miami & Virginia Tech are the only two since May.

Better programs have already prioritized better players. They are focusing on them.

My point with Taylor being a Top 50 guy is that he's a nice player, but not elite. And MCW was Top 30 by summer going into his senior year. He committed as a 3-star recruit as a sophomore - totally different calculus there.

By this time, you know where kids stand going into their senior years. Rankings don't change as much as they do early.

For as much as Ducharme has "blown up," he certainly hasn't received very many new offers. Miami & Virginia Tech are the only two since May.

Better programs have already prioritized better players. They are focusing on them.
Taylor was a top 50 player going into his senior year until he wasn’t. The lists are fluid. This is dumb. And I never said Ducharme blew up. I said he’s better than you give him credit for, but you’re so fixated on the top 100. I am attacking this line of thinking because theres a lot of fans that just look at these lists without watching guys play. And for the last time I don’t disagree we need better players.

Reid has atleast 20 at halftime of his game this morning.. him power and Norman are a hell of trio for AAU but they don’t have much else. Norman should be on the radar for cuse is Reid is looking elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom