Game 1 Depth Chart for UNC | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Game 1 Depth Chart for UNC

We'll be fine (maybe better) w/ Jordan and Pierre. Servais opting out would have been really bad.

Last edited:
I’ve been sitting with my thoughts in the depth chart. I have some thoughts. It should be said that I’m a glass half full type of guy.

1. Let’s get it out of the way. Rhino starting at guard has some cause for concern. However, I’m very intrigued to see what this looks like. He’s not a walk-on. He’s a defacto lineman that’s been in a strength and conditioning program at a D1 university for 3 years. There’s so much technique that comes into play on the offensive line, which he will undoubtedly have to work on, but there’s enough of me that is intrigued to see how he does. I don’t think this he’s going to get blown up on every play. Let’s see how it happens.

2. I am legitimately excited to finally see two of our recruits finally get their chance at consistent playing time. I have been very high on Markenzy since he signed with us. He had some fumbling issues that plagued him early on, but I think he can be great in sterling’s offense. Lastly - ED HENDRIX!!! Happy he’s healthy, I hope he actualizes his potential.

3. I am all about our new MIKE. He’s a tackling machine with great lateral quickness. The fact that he forced the coaches to make him a starter says a lot.

thrilled that I get to watch a Syracuse game on Saturday. Ill
Enjoy it while it’s here!

I’ve been sitting with my thoughts in the depth chart. I have some thoughts. It should be said that I’m a glass half full type of guy.

1. Let’s get it out of the way. Rhino starting at guard has some cause for concern. However, I’m very intrigued to see what this looks like. He’s not a walk-on. He’s a defacto lineman that’s been in a strength and conditioning program at a D1 university for 3 years. There’s so much technique that comes into play on the offensive line, which he will undoubtedly have to work on, but there’s enough of me that is intrigued to see how he does. I don’t think this he’s going to get blown up on every play. Let’s see how it happens.

2. I am legitimately excited to finally see two of our recruits finally get their chance at consistent playing time. I have been very high on Markenzy since he signed with us. He had some fumbling issues that plagued him early on, but I think he can be great in sterling’s offense. Lastly - ED HENDRIX!!! Happy he’s healthy, I hope he actualizes his potential.

3. I am all about our new MIKE. He’s a tackling machine with great lateral quickness. The fact that he forced the coaches to make him a starter says a lot.

thrilled that I get to watch a Syracuse game on Saturday. Ill
Enjoy it while it’s here!
Looking at that youth at LB and I'm hoping it's matter of them just being that good to win the jobs and that we'll have some legit stability there for the next few years instead of the revolving door we've had for a while.

worried about that situation and elmore and some of the youth on the d side but I think a season where we get a power 5 bowl game and if they cancel the season we will claim the title.

It's in there if you know where to look. :(

View attachment 187565

Here's the snap I saw of the police blotter from syracuse.com

img_2083-png.187503

Concerned with Elmore at G for sure. I think they can use him creatively by pulling him and moving him to get him blocking in space or where he can be moving and take an angle to his mark, I think that will best utilize his abilities. I also suspect it could be part gamesmanship and we'll actually be seeing P Davis as the LG with Rhino in on certain packages and situations.
Way more concerned with the youth on D. Its exciting and terrifying at the same time. Basically all 1st and 2nd year players with a few experienced studs sprinkled in. If that is the starting defense its probably going to be ugly, just too many liabilities for me to be confident.

Could get ugly on both sides of the ball.

Hope I'm wrong.

Concerned with Elmore at G for sure. I think they can use him creatively by pulling him and moving him to get him blocking in space or where he can be moving and take an angle to his mark, I think that will best utilize his abilities. I also suspect it could be part gamesmanship and we'll actually be seeing P Davis as the LG with Rhino in on certain packages and situations.
Way more concerned with the youth on D. Its exciting and terrifying at the same time. Basically all 1st and 2nd year players with a few experienced studs sprinkled in. If that is the starting defense its probably going to be ugly, just too many liabilities for me to be confident.

Could get ugly on both sides of the ball.

Hope I'm wrong.

We still have to be honest and remember that there are really zero studs on this defense in a 3-3-5 world. I think it works in our favor to have younger players learning this system because you "should" have less moments when past tendencies/rules/plans get in the way. The players have mostly said they are learning the new system and are playing fast. Our prediction on this year needs to keep all that included.

We still have to be honest and remember that there are really zero studs on this defense in a 3-3-5 world. I think it works in our favor to have younger players learning this system because you "should" have less moments when past tendencies/rules/plans get in the way. The players have mostly said they are learning the new system and are playing fast. Our prediction on this year needs to keep all that included.
Agree with the zero studs comment.

I may be getting the comment confused but I believe Dino said early on that every freshman starter would predict a loss for a team. I tend to agree with the notion.

Not saying these kids won't ball out and be competitive, just that the youth and inexperience is a huge factor.

I find it interesting many people don't think Adams and Howard out is a big deal. Considering all positions, sure RB is probably the position that can be replaced most easily especially without an elite talent being the one replaced, but those two are clearly most experienced and I have a hard time seeing how a guy like Pierre will suddenly be a better fit? Makes little sense to me. Jordan though, definitely an exciting player. We will see how effective he will be between the tackles but excited to see him in open space. Definitely not the guy who should be getting half back dives play calls 20 times a game.

I do not think they are definitely losing their spot, and I can not blame them for this decision, however when the great majority of your team is playing and you are not there will be consequences. Adams is especially at risk of a return in my opinion, he only has one more year and will have to re-earn his position, and may in fact be bypassed by others. Howard is basically using his red shirt without losing any elligibility, and should earn his way back quickly. In both cases it is somewhat disappointing that they made this decision.
Injury is not a voluntary thing, opting out is.

Agree with the zero studs comment.

I may be getting the comment confused but I believe Dino said early on that every freshman starter would predict a loss for a team. I tend to agree with the notion.

Not saying these kids won't ball out and be competitive, just that the youth and inexperience is a huge factor.

I honestly do not remember that comment but it wouldn't surprise me. It is definitely an interesting way to look at it.

I find it interesting many people don't think Adams and Howard out is a big deal. Considering all positions, sure RB is probably the position that can be replaced most easily especially without an elite talent being the one replaced, but those two are clearly most experienced and I have a hard time seeing how a guy like Pierre will suddenly be a better fit? Makes little sense to me. Jordan though, definitely an exciting player. We will see how effective he will be between the tackles but excited to see him in open space. Definitely not the guy who should be getting half back dives play calls 20 times a game.

Does anyone think that, though? I think everybody recognizes that those were our two most experienced, best RBs -- although Jordan does have tantilizing home run capabilities.

It doesn't have anything IMO to do with Pierre being "a better fit," but rather a capable replacement. As a fourth year junior, people are hoping that he'll be up to the task. But I don't see anyone suggesting that we are better off for what Adams / Howard decided.

Does anyone think that, though? I think everybody recognizes that those were our two most experienced, best RBs -- although Jordan does have tantilizing home run capabilities.

It doesn't have anything IMO to do with Pierre being "a better fit," but rather a capable replacement. As a fourth year junior, people are hoping that he'll be up to the task. But I don't see anyone suggesting that we are better off for what Adams / Howard decided.
I've seen a few posts thinking we will be fine, and could end up being better. Any maybe, somehow, we are. It's really impossible to know honestly. But I guess it's just a glass half full approach. Howard and Adams were going to be the clear top 2 between the tackles guys, and we've seen for some reason, we love those types of runs.

I'd be really down about our two most experienced RBs not playing normally.

But Jordan is not normal. So I'm actually pretty fired up that he has a clear path to be the man. And I liked Adams and Howard a lot.

think of it Jordan vs Adams.. not sure there is a huge difference here. Jordan is not a true Fr he is a bit older. Probably a bit better in the passing game

Pierre vs Howard pretty much a wash to me. both power guys with limited home run potential.

Depth behind that is the real issue especially down at the goal line where we will have issues anyway if we get that close.

think of it Jordan vs Adams.. not sure there is a huge difference here. Jordan is not a true Fr he is a bit older. Probably a bit better in the passing game

Pierre vs Howard pretty much a wash to me. both power guys with limited home run potential.

Depth behind that is the real issue especially down at the goal line where we will have issues anyway if we get that close.
I’m not sure the staff is concerned with depth. If that was the case wax would have been used as a rb.

I dont think it is for them either.. many teams have issues once you go to 3-4-5 at RB for any length of time.

oline worries me more than who is carrying the ball 10 times a game. if the oline is blocking well enough we get 30-40 carries thats a good thing.

Just my two cents, and I know it won’t be popular...

I’ll start by saying I’m very hopeful that the OL as a group can function, allowing for a capable offense.

But, IMO, the likelihood of that happening with Elmore at Guard would be an anomaly. His blocking from the backfield was serviceable, not great. Learning the assignment & technique of an ACC starting G in an off-season would be a Herculean accomplishment. I’m skeptical at best at the prospect of him being solid at that position.

I’m still beaming with hope for the season, as I always am. I’m an eternal optimist. And I love pieces that we have.

But, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that when I saw his name on the depth chart, my first thought wasn’t oh !tpops.

Let’s beat UNC. I’ll eat that crow all week long gladly.
Exactly my thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom