Game 1 Depth Chart for UNC | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Game 1 Depth Chart for UNC

I think Stefon Thompson must be special. How in the world did he beat out a guy that everyone has been raving about? Wow. Just wow. This linebacking group must be very deep.

I have no clue on Garrett Williams. But I know that Cornelius Nunn was a big recruiting win for us, and Williams is starting over him. This is just super interesting

I haven't read the 10 page thread yet so i'll just post my thoughts.

- In past years Cuse.com had "Depth Chart" as an option in the Football 'links'. Now It's page 14 in the Game Notes and when i tried to print page 14 my print box said it was "beyond the range". of course I won't be going to the games this year, (unless restrictions are lifted before the end of the season), but I always liked to print the depth chart and have it handy.

- The one that jumps out, of course, is Chris Elmore listed as a starting guard. there's all the difference between being a lead blocked in a short yardage play and being a guard, who has to pass block, block trap plays and pull for sweeps and options. They say it takes longest to learn how to play offensive line. Is Elmore that quick a study? How did he beat out Pat Davis, who played so well late last year?

- Coach Babers has said that "help is on the way" and said it would arrive at the end of the month. I assume getting Dakota Davis back is part of that. I wonder if he's heard something specific about Chris Bleich. If they've made a decision why can't they announce it now?

- I guess we can give up on Qadir White, unless he's one of the opt-outs. I'm amazed that Mark Petry, one of the guys from Germany who is only listed at 265 made the two deep at either tackle position.

- I'm impressed that Justin Barron made the two deep behind Taj Harris as a true freshman. But form earlier reports and speculation, I thought Javontae Williams was the better bet.

- No Tyrell Richards. Has he opted out, too?

- Mikel Jones is now 230, up from 211?

- Steve Linton was a popular choice for being a new star but as a redshirt freshman he got beat out by a true freshman? What does that tell us?

- Neil Nunn is now a cornerback?

- The heralded James Williams has been beaten out for punter by Nolan Cooney? How long will that last?

- I hope a healthy Nykeim Johnson will be alot more productive than what we saw last year. He's set up to be our slot guy, out kick-off guy and our punt returner over Courtney Jackson, Jawhar Jordan and Trill Williams.

Last edited:

- In past years Cuse.com had "Depth Chart" as an option in the Football 'links'. Now It's page 14 in the Game Notes and when i tried to print page 14 my print box said it was "beyond the range". of course I won't be going to the games this year, (unless restrictions are lifted before the end of the season), but I always liked to print the depth chart and have it handy.

- The one that jumps out, of course, is Chris Elmore listed as a starting guard. there's all the difference between being a lead blocked in a short yardage play and being a guard, who has to pass block, block trap plays and pull for sweeps and options. They say it takes longest to learn how to play offensive line. Is Elmore that quick a study? How did he beat out Pat Davis, who played so well late last year?

- Coach Babers has said that "help is on the way" and said it would arrive at the end of the month. I assume getting Dakota Davis back is part of that. I wonder if he's heard something specific about Chris Bleich. If they've made a decision why can't they announce it now?

- I guess we can give up on Qadir White, unless he's one of the opt-outs. I'm amazed that Mark Petry, one of the guys from Germany who is only listed at 265 made the two deep at either tackle position.

- I'm impressed that Justin Barron made the two deep behind Taj Harris as a true freshman. But form earlier reports and speculation, I thought Javontae Williams was the better bet.

- Steve Linton was a popular choice for being a new star but as a redshirt freshman he got beat out by a true freshman? What does that tell us?

- The heralded James Williams has been beaten out for punter by Nolan Cooney? How long will that last?

- I hope a healthy Nykeim Johnson will be alot more productive than what we saw last year. He's set up to be our slot guy, out kick-off guy and our punt returner over Courtney Jackson, Jawhar Jordan and Trill Williams.
Maybe there is a lot of misinformation in this depth chart?

Man Stefon Thompson was a tackling machine on a state championship team. He was also a January enrollee so he’s been here for 8 months. I believe had a verified 4.53 shuttle which is outstanding at his size. He could quite possibly be the real deal. Another one of those kids where 2 inches and he’s playing at Georgia or Tennessee.

Just my two cents, and I know it won’t be popular...

I’ll start by saying I’m very hopeful that the OL as a group can function, allowing for a capable offense.

But, IMO, the likelihood of that happening with Elmore at Guard would be an anomaly. His blocking from the backfield was serviceable, not great. Learning the assignment & technique of an ACC starting G in an off-season would be a Herculean accomplishment. I’m skeptical at best at the prospect of him being solid at that position.

I’m still beaming with hope for the season, as I always am. I’m an eternal optimist. And I love pieces that we have.

But, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that when I saw his name on the depth chart, my first thought wasn’t oh !tpops.

Let’s beat UNC. I’ll eat that crow all week long gladly.
Given the bolded text, how is it we don't have an OG on the roster that was able to beat him out? Pat Davis is a senior and Qadir White is a redshirt sophomore. Neither of these guys that have played the position for years were better than him? That's concerning.

It’s so confusing. It’s almost like someone meant to throw other people off track.

Man Stefon Thompson was a tackling machine on a state championship team. He was also a January enrollee so he’s been here for 8 months. I believe had a verified 4.53 shuttle which is outstanding at his size. He could quite possibly be the real deal. Another one of those kids where 2 inches and he’s playing at Georgia or Tennessee.
Spot on.

In past years Cuse.com had "Depth Chart" as an option in the Football 'links'. Now It's page 14 in the Game Notes and when i tried to print page 14 my print box said it was "beyond the range". of course I won't be going to the games this year, (unless restrictions are lifted before the end of the season), but I always liked to print the depth chart and have it handy.

Just printed page 14 without any problems.

Of course, it's too damn small for me to read without my glasses. :oops:

The new Cam Lynch?

Ok, you have made your decisions fellas. While, I understand it might be about an elderly relative living with him or some other reason for discomfort; I still contend cuse has a nice system set up and secure. These players are gonna be known quantities being tested all week pregame. There could be other personal reasons but going to the grocery store is risky too.

What are most peoples takes on keeping your spot if opting out? Shouldn't lose your spot to injury, how about opting out?

1599624186669.png

Just printed page 14 without any problems.

Of course, it's too damn small for me to read without my glasses. :oops:

I had to wait until the entire Game Notes, (40 pages) came up on preview. Then I could type in '14' and it printed it out. Previously I typed in 14 before the preview came up.

Richards is hurt did not opt out .
Barron has size which we need
So many WRs look good we are deep
Punting is punting that should be an easy position to pick
As far as the secondary we have lots of talent
So if Williams got the nod he earned It by his play and they are healthy so it’s Not by default.
Quadir has physical issues to quote dino im not gonna put his business out in the street

Given the bolded text, how is it we don't have an OG on the roster that was able to beat him out? Pat Davis is a senior and Qadir White is a redshirt sophomore. Neither of these guys that have played the position for years were better than him? That's concerning.
I’d agree that it’s concerning, but there’s always reasons we’ll never know about.

In theory, we really should not be in this type of a situation in year 5. Things happen though... String of events lead you somewhere and you adapt.

One thing that makes me feel somewhat better is that he started camp there. It wasn’t an emergency leak plug, it was by design.

At the end of the day you take the cards your dealt, roll the ball onto the field and see what happens.

One year we lost 3 K’s in camp. Stud Fr went home to his GF and dropped out. One kid quit and watched practice from the hill smoking cigarettes the rest of the year. And the 3rd was injured. By the time we found someone we were a couple days into week 1 prep. K was totally unreliable, so we made the decision we were going to be the best 2 pt. Conversion team in the country. We did pretty well too.

Sometimes shittake just happens,you make the most of it and go, no crying in football.

I can respect Richards decision. He’s opting out for a cause he feels strongly about.

But Howard and Adams...what in the f@$%. I mean their lives, their decisions. But man they aren’t even close to draft boards. I wish no ill will on any kid and wish them well but this is one of the bigger head scratchers I’ve seen in awhile. Must be Jordan just straight up outperformed them and they knew they weren’t getting carries or something. Otherwise I’ve got nothing lol

I’d bet they told the team 1 thing and then word got out that it was for a different thing and the team rightly got upset.

Adams makes some sense re:NFL. He’s older, miles etc. Probably saw Jordan taking carries.

Howard doesn’t make any sense. He’d be the thunder to Jordan’s lightning.

I’d bet they told the team 1 thing and then word got out that it was for a different thing and the team rightly got upset.

Adams makes some sense re:NFL. He’s older, miles etc. Probably saw Jordan taking carries.

Howard doesn’t make any sense. He’d be the thunder to Jordan’s lightning.

yeah and for Howard you actually audition for the NFL be playing and being a featured back to show what you can do. Not by sitting out and bench pressing.

ahh and there it is.

Been out there for awhile. After being tipped off I saw it for myself in the syracuse.com police blotter. I'm surprised the media doesn't pick up on this stuff sooner.

maybe that's TR's social injustice.

It's in there if you know where to look. :(

image0.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors