Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Colgate | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Colgate

Labor Day weekend, fair, Apple picking, leave raking, conflicting concerts, school starting and final weekend of possible nice weather. Just pin this, it’s the same thing every year.
They’re all valid points. The diehard fans will be there no matter the time, opponent, or anything else going on in the area. It’s the casuals who fill out the attendance, and when you give casuals a long list of things they can potentially do I’m sure a majority of them aren’t going to pick “watch Syracuse beat an FCS school by 50” They’d be gone by halftime anyway.

They’re all valid points. The diehard fans will be there no matter the time, opponent, or anything else going on in the area. It’s the casuals who fill out the attendance, and when you give casuals a long list of things they can potentially do I’m sure a majority of them aren’t going to pick “watch Syracuse beat an FCS school by 50” They’d be gone by halftime anyway.

Which is a shame -- this is going to be a good team, and they deserve to come out of the locker room to an appropriately large crowd for the opening game.

I just don’t understand why they don’t do like a buy one get one free scenario for these types of games. There zero creativity in these situations to fill up the stands. Especially this close to the game why is there never a campaign that helps people make the decision to go. Give away the tickets who cares. Get butts in the seats. See a game. Sell some stuff at concessions. Instead of let’s just see if they buy tickets. Don’t get it

Labor Day weekend, fair, Apple picking, leave raking, conflicting concerts, school starting and final weekend of possible nice weather. Just pin this, it’s the same thing every year.
Final weekend of nice weather? Weather doesn’t look at a calendar. Forecast to be 80s-90s next week. It’s not like it snows the day after labor day.

Which is a shame -- this is going to be a good team, and they deserve to come out of the locker room to an appropriately large crowd for the opening game.
Absolutely agree. I used to get really fed up with attendance a few years back but just let it go recently, it’ll take a while to build back the casual fan base after the last 20+ years they’ve seen. Last season one of my buddies who is barely even a casual said “I think they’ll probably win 2 games this year” I tried my best to explain that we had a really good roster with a new OC/QB coach with great resumes and we had a shot to make a bowl, but that’s just the perception of the team from an outsider’s perspective. Sad.

We have had some bad opening day crowds but this has to be one of the worst ever. I would love to know what the season ticket renewal rate was because there are a lot of seats available in my section that were occupied by season ticket holders last season.

View attachment 230674
Tough to have a good opening day crowd when it’s Colgate, your coach allows basically no media, they don’t really do anything to build up the program, no fan fest. Look around the NCAA we are soooooooo behind the 8 ball on all this stuff.

Other schools have more players and coaches available to media, more media is allowed to view practice, a lot of schools do almost like a mini version of hard knocks where it’s behind the scenes of practices and players lives. Like Cuse did a couple years ago, coaches do way more radio interviews and appearances, just way more access to the team to build the hype. Dino is terrible at it and he expects the crowd to get behind the team when half of Syracuse barely knows when the season starts, who is on the team because he shuts everyone out from the team. Needs to fixed

I just don’t understand why they don’t do like a buy one get one free scenario for these types of games.
Yeah, I have no idea what promotions might be in place, but an opener against an FCS opponent screams that it needs some creativity to build a crowd.

I just don’t understand why they don’t do like a buy one get one free scenario for these types of games. There zero creativity in these situations to fill up the stands. Especially this close to the game why is there never a campaign that helps people make the decision to go. Give away the tickets who cares. Get butts in the seats. See a game. Sell some stuff at concessions. Instead of let’s just see if they buy tickets. Don’t get it
I'm the first one to say that SUAD needs to do more to entice the common fan, but you can buy a ticket to this game on Vividseats for $5.50, after fees. Not sure giving away tickets would help the cause.

I think the ship has already sailed when it comes to building excitement for this game. SU needed to do that with open fall practices. Those practices should include activities for the kids/military/season ticket holders (not just your 100 legend society donors) during them. If you want to do give-aways, do them during the open practices and get the casual fan excited to check out the team live during week 1. I know SU is competing with the fair this week, but for an FCS home opener like this maybe you throw a free concert before the game to get people down to campus. It's been said before on here, but Syracuse is an event city. If you make the event exciting enough (like us being 4-0 heading into Clemson) the people will come. Other than making this an event there are just too many other things to do on an end of summer day.

Final weekend of nice weather? Weather doesn’t look at a calendar. Forecast to be 80s-90s next week. It’s not like it snows the day after labor day.
I’m talking about perception. I’m sure there’s plenty of nice weekends left.

I'm the first one to say that SUAD needs to do more to entice the common fan, but you can buy a ticket to this game on Vividseats for $5.50, after fees. Not sure giving away tickets would help the cause.

I think the ship has already sailed when it comes to building excitement for this game. SU needed to do that with open fall practices. Those practices should include activities for the kids/military/season ticket holders (not just your 100 legend society donors) during them. If you want to do give-aways, do them during the open practices and get the casual fan excited to check out the team live during week 1. I know SU is competing with the fair this week, but for an FCS home opener like this maybe you throw a free concert before the game to get people down to campus. It's been said before on here, but Syracuse is an event city. If you make the event exciting enough (like us being 4-0 heading into Clemson) the people will come. Other than making this an event there are just too many other things to do on an end of summer day.
I’d love for a sellout on Saturday, but there is nothing that could be done to make Colgate an event equal to a 4-0 team facing Clemson…..nothing even remotely close. It is what it is. Unless you schedule a big name (Tennessee in 98), Labor Day weekend games will always be sparsely attended as Syracuse isn’t old state u.

Talking about players in their last year of eligibility. No tomorrow. Also talking about performance and leadership. I am not seeing the list above in the same light as say a Dungey/ Strickland/Custis/Slayton. or a Nassib/Pugh/Lemon/Shamarko even a guy like Dan Vaughn. A kid like Ryan Guthrie was solid as well in 2018 I do like Barron and Shrader in these type of roles. Darton as well. The list above is 1/2 transfers, 1/2 guys that barely play or are hurt all the time

Between transfers/ covid etc it's impossible to even tell who is in their actual last year anymore. I mean you can list all the guys with 3-4 years into the program you want, the list above isn't in the same stratosphere is the leadership from 2012/2018, IMO. Being somewhere for 4 years doesn't make you a leader. Like saying someone who has been at their job for 15 years is good at it?

We will see.

"The list above is 1/2 transfers, 1/2 guys that barely play or are hurt all the time." Yes and NO!

The other option is to follow the lead of minor league sports teams like the Crunch and give each season ticket holder two ticket vouchers to the Colgate game.

Also with a football program that never sells out a game why do they limit the number of student season tickets for football?

Tough to have a good opening day crowd when it’s Colgate, your coach allows basically no media, they don’t really do anything to build up the program, no fan fest. Look around the NCAA we are soooooooo behind the 8 ball on all this stuff.

Other schools have more players and coaches available to media, more media is allowed to view practice, a lot of schools do almost like a mini version of hard knocks where it’s behind the scenes of practices and players lives. Like Cuse did a couple years ago, coaches do way more radio interviews and appearances, just way more access to the team to build the hype. Dino is terrible at it and he expects the crowd to get behind the team when half of Syracuse barely knows when the season starts, who is on the team because he shuts everyone out from the team. Needs to fixed
Anybody who would be interested in going knows there is a game. The cost to get in the building is as low as 11 all in.

No amount of promotion was going to get a significant number of additional people to go.

It’s not an awareness issue IMO. It’s an apathy issue. People know there’s a game this weekend. This just isn’t a football town, which is a shame.

Winning makes casual fans tune in and buy tickets. They always come to the marquee game because Syracuse is an event town, not a sports town.

I also don’t think it’s all that different regionally. With Penn State being the outlier, none of the northeast schools are really known for full stadiums and rabid fans. Cuse, BC, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.

The typical Syracuse “fan” needs a reason to be there. It’s never because they want to see their team play. They turn out for the opponent. Or the hype machine has pointed out that SU is 5-0 and trying to get to 6-0. Then people start to show.

Those of us here show up regardless because we are sad little people with no lives who are addicted to SU football.

IMG_6316.jpeg

It’s not an awareness issue IMO. It’s an apathy issue. People know there’s a game this weekend. This just isn’t a football town, which is a shame.

Winning makes casual fans tune in and buy tickets. They always come to the marquee game because Syracuse is an event town, not a sports town.

It's Colgate, a glorified scrimmage.

MLB teams often have a game at home before Opening Day, and those are also sparsely attended.

I'll save everyone the drama.

Colgate will have 28k to 32k announced.

Western Michigan will have 30k to 34k announced.

Army will have 35k-38k announced.

Clemson will be a sellout or very close to one.

Carry on.

I'll save everyone the drama.

Colgate will have 28k to 32k announced.

Western Michigan will have 30k to 34k announced.

Army will have 35k-38k announced.

Clemson will be a sellout or very close to one.

Carry on.

Attendance at events is interesting in this market - I sense the same community apathy with the Syracuse Mets. Even Springsteen has more than a few tickets available. Event town is a good description. We come out to see a name.

I'd love to see a football game followed by a concert with a mid level celebrity. Roll out the stage like a Super Bowl halftime show. See if that drums up an extra 5K.

"Garrett Shrader will fly you to the Colgate game if you choose this special offer!"

JK.

Get the win. Get Shrader and OG some gaudy TD numbers to start the rumbling of awards season and it will pick up.

Once we beat Purdue, then it's game on.

Once we're 7-0 and #1 in the country, then it's chicken soup for the soul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom