Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Colgate | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Colgate

Why is it just "seniors" though? As someone pointed out, there's no true freshmen on the Two Deep aside from backup kicker. That's an indicator of depth, which points to development / good use of the portal. That contributes just as much to success as leadership.

2 guys that I can think of would be Macky and Zaire. Exceptions to every rule but it takes a strong group.

Like I said, it's just my opinion. People can disagree with whatever they want to.

Building a culture doesn’t happen overnight, it also doesn’t always take shape exactly as leaders would like it to. One important component is buy in by all involved - staff, coaches and players. That can take time, sometimes it requires weeding out “bad fits” in all those areas. Once you have a team that buys in you can build a culture and make it second nature - and new players/staff/coaches will more readily adopt it because it is the norm of behavior. Once/If you get there then you’re cooking. Seems like Dino is there. Those times in previous years where the team didn’t stick around for the school song did worry me though …
And I’m not posting this from a knowledge of anything about the team, just outsider perspective

2 guys that I can think of would be Macky and Zaire. Exceptions to every rule but it takes a strong group.

Like I said, it's just my opinion. People can disagree with whatever they want to.

My 2 cents is that staying healthy in a couple key spots is the most important thing.

Nassib played every meaningful down in 2012, along with most of the offense. Pugh was out early, we started 1-3 (though the offense was great in the first 2), but then came back and was healthy the rest of the way.

Dungey started every game in 2018. Didn't finish 2 of them. Tommy got us home against FSU, ND was just not our day, especially at the line of scrimmage.

Keep our QB healthy, couple other key offensive players, and it can be one of the special type years.

Maybe we're a bit deeper, I hope so. But still, just not good for us if we lose certain players. It's a Syracuse epidemic.

We have had some bad opening day crowds but this has to be one of the worst ever. I would love to know what the season ticket renewal rate was because there are a lot of seats available in my section that were occupied by season ticket holders last season.

IMG_6312.jpeg

We have had some bad opening day crowds but this has to be one of the worst ever. I would love to know what the season ticket renewal rate was because there are a lot of seats available in my section that were occupied by season ticket holders last season.

View attachment 230674
It is against Colgate folks, we ain't opening up against LSU like them boys down in Tallahassee are doing.. Also don't forget its the State Fair finale, get those donut burgers while you can!

My 2 cents is that staying healthy in a couple key spots is the most important thing.

Nassib played every meaningful down in 2012, along with most of the offense. Pugh was out early, we started 1-3 (though the offense was great in the first 2), but then came back and was healthy the rest of the way.

Dungey started every game in 2018. Didn't finish 2 of them. Tommy got us home against FSU, ND was just not our day, especially at the line of scrimmage.

Keep our QB healthy, couple other key offensive players, and it can be one of the special type years.

Maybe we're a bit deeper, I hope so. But still, just not good for us if we lose certain players. It's a Syracuse epidemic.
2018 was an interesting season. Tommy saved not only FSU but NC in relief. We lost 2 games where we held leads at the end of the 3rd quarter in Pitt and Clemson. And then just got completely dismantled against a good ND team, team just didn’t show up as a whole that day.

View attachment 230674
Woof

It is against Colgate folks, we ain't opening up against LSU like them boys down in Tallahassee are doing.. Also don't forget its the State Fair finale, get those donut burgers while you can!
and leaves to rake, oh wait a minute......

Wouldn’t worry too much, it is Colgate and like someone said above the state fair finale. Crowds will improve as we continue to win and it’ll be a really nice crowd when we’re 4-0 welcoming Clemson to the dome for gameday.
There's also the larger discussion of attendance being down everywhere because it's so much easier to watch from home.

Talking about players in their last year of eligibility. No tomorrow. Also talking about performance and leadership. I am not seeing the list above in the same light as say a Dungey/ Strickland/Custis/Slayton. or a Nassib/Pugh/Lemon/Shamarko even a guy like Dan Vaughn.
You are not seeing it because it hasnt happened yet. Its easy to point out those players when you already know the out come and been able to reflect on their impact. Let this season play out first.

You are not seeing it because it hasnt happened yet. Its easy to point out those players when you already know the out come and been able to reflect on their impact. Let this season play out first.
His take is idiotic, we have clear leaders on this team. This isn’t 2019, as hard as he is trying to make it seem that way.

I agree with this. Shrader, Okechukuw, and Barron are a good nucleus of senior leaders. Others need to ascend into bigger leadership roles, as is the case every year.

Talking about players in their last year of eligibility. No tomorrow. Also talking about performance and leadership. I am not seeing the list above in the same light as say a Dungey/ Strickland/Custis/Slayton. or a Nassib/Pugh/Lemon/Shamarko even a guy like Dan Vaughn. A kid like Ryan Guthrie was solid as well in 2018 I do like Barron and Shrader in these type of roles. Darton as well. The list above is 1/2 transfers, 1/2 guys that barely play or are hurt all the time

Between transfers/ covid etc it's impossible to even tell who is in their actual last year anymore. I mean you can list all the guys with 3-4 years into the program you want, the list above isn't in the same stratosphere is the leadership from 2012/2018, IMO. Being somewhere for 4 years doesn't make you a leader. Like saying someone who has been at their job for 15 years is good at it?

We will see.
Not sure we’re seeing the same team tbh. To my eyes this team has what you’re saying we don’t have. You named 4 or 5 senior guys from those two years that you label as leaders.

GS is a 3 year QB, team leader, as tough as they come and as good of a senior leader as you could want. Like Dungey, staying healthy will be the key.

Marlowe Wax, captain, proven dog, teammates all look up to him, nfl potential.

Justin Barron, Isaiah Johnson, Caleb Okechukwu, seniors, leaders of respective position groups, possible nfl potential, dogs.
Could add in Darton, as you mentioned, since we saw he could be an iron man and still hold down the dline for us, definite dog.

On offense though not a senior, we got a guy who’s as good as we’re ever going to have here at receiver in OG. Potential All American, high draft ceiling, dog.
Alford, clearly has worked on his game between the bowl game and week 1 and to be named captain speaks to the jump we’ll likely see from him, at the end of the day it’s his teammates see him as a leader…also dog.

Throw in a guy like Bleich who is experienced and when healthy could help anchor an oline, which should be better all around. He’s a senior and solid.

Anyways I count just as many guys on this team, that you count on those teams and that’s without even mentioning guys like Stefan Thompson, Jason Simmons, Terry Locket etc. We have experienced players and depth all over field and if LQA proves to be RB1 material (strong possibility) and the Oline takes a step forward this year (good possibility), I think our ceiling is 9-10 win team and ACC conference champ discussion.

I really think we’re going to surprise a lot of people this year, but like you said, we will see. Just a few more days until Week 1.

These questions will all be answered over the next 3 months on the field. 6-7 wins would be average group of seniors. 8 wins and above exceptional group. Personally, I don't think this group is as strong as 2012 or 2018. Just my 2 cents.
Keep in mind you are looking at that past group of players through a lens of hindsight knowing what they did in their senior seasons, not pre season. Your view of the leadership of this group may change as the season plays out. I think it will.

Keep in mind you are looking at that past group of players through a lens of hindsight knowing what they did in their senior seasons, not pre season. Your view of the leadership of this group may change as the season plays out. I think it will.

Very true. Here's hoping

Ha. I see you beat me to it. Thats my thinking as well.

View attachment 230674
Good weather, a bad opponent, the f%$#king Fair (how that takes people I will never understand), and the price hike. I fear that Clemson will be the only tough ticket all year.

View attachment 230674
Oh no. That’s not good at all. Feel bad for the kids when the turnout is so poor like this

win and the fans will come - we saw it last year. This is a tough draw - bad opponent, coming off that losing streak last year and a holiday weekend. I'm way less worried about attendance than I am worried about how our OL performs.

Either need a strong opponent or a Colgate type week 1. Attendance isn’t going to be strong Labor Day weekend around here unless the opener is against a rival or big name game. Colgate game isn’t going to have great attendance no matter when you play it. Might as well put the Colgate game on Labor Day weekend.
Army game will have much better attendance being week 4 and that will be a tougher game.
Enjoy the short lines and a blowout win Saturday.

the PC said that they had a great last 48 hrs in sales.. I wonder how many that really means got sold? If you look at the ticket picture that would imply sales on the home side lower bowl were fine.. away side down a bit. Home said upper bowl is down and away side Upper looks to be about the same. the west endzone looks about normal as well.

But it does make you think maybe people bought smaller packages and not as many STs

And I dont see a big difference in sales for Colgate vs Clemson now either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom