Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Colgate | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Colgate

I guess growing up there I always saw it as “another thing to do” in Syracuse and that’s why I never missed a game. Yes I’m always going to cheer on the team, but the game day experience regardless of who they played is always so fun to me no matter how old I get. That fall experience being out tailgating and then going in to see the team win is just so memorable. I don’t see that type of following now a days

last year we had what 2-3 sellouts?? Guess what happened last year? We started 6-0. I went up the ‘87 opener with a bunch of my WG football teammates and there was probably 40k there and it was Maryland (I still remember hearing the roar of the crowd on the first play as we were late walking in!!). This year it’s Colgate….while us diehards love it, most know it’s going to be a 56-7 blowout and could care less about going. This is not and never will be the south. Chip said it best, we go 4-0 and Clemson will be a madhouse. The rest of us just need to suck it up and make the dome as loud as possible with 30k The next few weeks

last year we had what 2-3 sellouts?? Guess what happened last year? We started 6-0. I went up the ‘87 opener with a bunch of my WG football teammates and there was probably 40k there and it was Maryland (I still remember hearing the roar of the crowd on the first play as we were late walking in!!). This year it’s Colgate….while us diehards love it, most know it’s going to be a 56-7 blowout and could care less about going. This is not and never will be the south. Chip said it best, we go 4-0 and Clemson will be a madhouse. The rest of us just need to suck it up and make the dome as loud as possible with 30k The next few weeks

I think it will be a madhouse even if we're 3-1. It was in 2019 when we were coming off one of the most deflating losses in program history.

But 4-0 would be great, as would Clemson beating FSU at home the week before. Battle of the early undefeateds.

On that note, I'd also like Auburn to lose @ Texas A&M, Nebraska to lose @ Minnesota, Mississippi State to lose either at home to LSU or @ South Carolina, Colorado to lose one of their tough early road games, and Ole Miss to lose @ Alabama.

None are upsets and all pave the road.

imagine we are 7-0 and we played games 6-7-8 on the road so one gets to watch them in the DOME. But that would make the VT thursday night game pretty crazy.

Folks, its labor day weekend and the NYS Fair.

Cuse does not have an attendance problem, it has a winning problem.

Win vs Colgate and we’ll have 35 vs WMU. Handle WMU and we’ll have 40ish for Army.

People come when the teams competitive. Best thing to do is start 4-0. Very do’able.

Honestly my friend invited me to the game and I immediately said yes but even I'm having second thoughts. It is Colgate. Syracuse is going to crush them and lord help me I don't want to be there if they don't. While a fun time will be had with friends we're also going to miss all the other games happening that will undoubtedly be more entertaining.

I say this as a member of this board so a top 1% fan. Casuals were never going to come.

Yeah I'm not worried about attendance. Colgate is quite possibly the worst team regarding attendance we could be playing. Casual fans and die hards alike realize that Colgate is gonna get blown out and starters wont be playing all game. At least with Western Michigan, I doubt casual fans will realize that they're supposed to be an awful team this year.

Honestly my friend invited me to the game and I immediately said yes but even I'm having second thoughts. It is Colgate. Syracuse is going to crush them and lord help me I don't want to be there if they don't. While a fun time will be had with friends we're also going to miss all the other games happening that will undoubtedly be more entertaining.

I say this as a member of this board so a top 1% fan. Casuals were never going to come.
For sure. I'm a huge fan but the part of the 2nd half im looking forward to the most is having a beer with my friend. Lol. Colgate generates negative interest IMO

Different for everybody but I’d rather watch Cuse beat up on an FCS school and get to see our young guys get reps than watch another school. Syracuse football >>>> every other game on.

This is a matchup that has history, but nothing else. They should give Colgate students a section and let them in for free! Might get 500 of them showing up.

It's true we have been mediocre. It is also true that there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz about the team in CNY. That is only my view from afar, however.

Still, it isn't really anything new. I always look back on 1998. We had an exciting group of players, including Donovan F. McNabb. We lost by 1 at home to eventual NC Tennessee. Then we went to Ann Arbor and wiped the field with UM and some guy named Brady. They were the defending National Champions at the time.

Then we came home to play Rutgers. Sure, it was only Rutgers but the preceding games, our talent level, and the shape of the program then should have garnered a sellout. We got what? 42K-ish?

I laugh at the discussion about our attractiveness in further conference expansion vs what this thread tells us. On one hand, some say "hey the Big Ten will eventually expand east and we are the perfect choice. We are monumentally attractive with our rabid fan base..

On the other hand, some say "well of course we won't draw our own fans this weekend. It's only Colgate, the State Fair is on, the rake needs tweaking for the October Saturdays when we won't show up either, that shuttle ride from Skytop is SO emotionally draining, last year, Otto made eye contact with me and I am terminally freaked out, etc etc.

Not that some of those aren't varying degrees of valid, but there are lots of schools opening against tomato cans who will fill those seats with fans who can't wait to see their team. Not saying it is good or bad, rather it is just us being us.

It's true we have been mediocre. It is also true that there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz about the team in CNY. That is only my view from afar, however.

Still, it isn't really anything new. I always look back on 1998. We had an exciting group of players, including Donovan F. McNabb. We lost by 1 at home to eventual NC Tennessee. Then we went to Ann Arbor and wiped the field with UM and some guy named Brady. They were the defending National Champions at the time.

Then we came home to play Rutgers. Sure, it was only Rutgers but the preceding games, our talent level, and the shape of the program then should have garnered a sellout. We got what? 42K-ish?

I laugh at the discussion about our attractiveness in further conference expansion vs what this thread tells us. On one hand, some say "hey the Big Ten will eventually expand east and we are the perfect choice. We are monumentally attractive with our rabid fan base..

On the other hand, some say "well of course we won't draw our own fans this weekend. It's only Colgate, the State Fair is on, the rake needs tweaking for the October Saturdays when we won't show up either, that shuttle ride from Skytop is SO emotionally draining, last year, Otto made eye contact with me and I am terminally freaked out, etc etc.

Not that some of those aren't varying degrees of valid, but there are lots of schools opening against tomato cans who will fill those seats with fans who can't wait to see their team. Not saying it is good or bad, rather it is just us being us.
Yep. Basically the Dome is never full in September… unless we’re good and we play a top 10 team (see: Tennessee, 1998).

When we were consistently good the attendance pattern was largely the same. Crowds in the low 40s to start, growing to 45-48K in late October/November when we played our then-traditional opponents (BC, Pitt, VaTech, Miami, WVU).

It is what it is. Dropping the Dome’s capacity to 42K will really help.

I'd love to see a football game followed by a concert with a mid level celebrity. Roll out the stage like a Super Bowl halftime show. See if that drums up an extra 5K.

After over three and a half hours you want more time in the Dome?

Crowd for Colgate not a concern to me, When have we ever had a good showing for an FCS opponent. Western Mich will be slightly better then we will see.

The price you pay for scheduling to get bowl eligible is bad games in September.

It’s not a “bad” game.

Honestly, I’d like nothing more than to play Colgate or similar every year as our first game at home.
Gives everybody a tuneup, let’s the 2nd and 3rd string get some game action, which helps coaches with evaluation of who is ready to step in, should a starter get an “owie” at some point.

I *heart* the zillion points to no points romps.
For our football team in the past 2 decades, they’ve been few and far between.

Last edited:
What do people expect? Last time casuals heard a peep about the team was last bowl game
What does that even mean? Are you really saying that anyone in upstate New York that would have even a casual interest in the team is unaware they are playing a game Saturday?

What exactly do you think would drive extra sales?

It’s not a “bad” game.

Honestly, I’d like noting more than to play Colgate or similar every year as our first game at home.
Gives everybody a tuneup, let’s the 2nd and 3rd string get some game action, which helps coaches with evaluation of who is ready to step in, should a starter get an “owie” at some point.

I *heart* the zillion points to no points romps.
For our football team in the past 2 decades, they’ve been few and far between.
Agree. Everyone calls these kinds of games a glorified scrimmage, I like to think of it as a preseason game that actually counts to our record. We get a guaranteed win (one step closer to another bowl) and young guys who won’t get much game time any other Saturday will get real in game reps. Anything but bad.

What does that even mean? Are you really saying that anyone in upstate New York that would have even a casual interest in the team is unaware they are playing a game Saturday?

What exactly do you think would drive extra sales?
Magic!

Mass hypnosis!

Something in the water!

And my favorite… MOAR MARKETING!!1!1!!

Agree. Everyone calls these kinds of games a glorified scrimmage, I like to think of it as a preseason game that actually counts to our record. We get a guaranteed win (one step closer to another bowl) and young guys who won’t get much game time any other Saturday will get real in game reps. Anything but bad.
It's a great way to start the season. As you say, lots of players get experience. Then we ramp it up a bit vs Western Michigan before we hit the road against a rebuilding Purdue team. I wish every season started this way. Who gives a rat's behind about the attendance for Colgate.

The athletic department is in a no-win situation with most fans here. If they open with a big name at home, then they don’t know how to schedule for success. If you open with no name, and nobody shows up, then they don’t market properly.

This town is event driven. In my opinion, I think they should continue to open with tomato cans, but do something to draw more people to any event, something like “concert on the quad“ Featuring good local bands. And they give tickets away to those who attend.

I don’t know…all I know is that a small crowd against Colgate doesn’t bother me.

Last edited:
It's a great way to start the season. As you say, lots of players get experience. Then we ramp it up a bit vs Western Michigan before we hit the road against a rebuilding Purdue team. I wish every season started this way. Who gives a rat's behind about the attendance for Colgate.
Couldn’t agree more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom