Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Ohio | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Ohio

Seeing people be surprised by Umari is the biggest shock to me.

The kid has absolutely been being talked about long before Fran Brown was here.

It has been talked about that he had all the tools to be a heck of a player but needed to put his focus on football/school and not off field activities so to speak.

Sounds like Fran might have gotten Umari focused and this is a very very very good thing.
Yeah he's been talked about - talked being the most important word. I was surprised because I didn't think he'd put it together.

He's been wildly inconsistent and unable to put on the necessary weight to block appropriately at the position. For years.

I worry about the DE’s more personally. I like Diggs, but I’m not sure he’s gonna put up a double digit sack season. He doesn’t even have 10 total sacks in his college career. I’m sure he will be effective, but if Syracuse wants to win 8+ games this year, Diggs is going to need to be a game wrecker.

Jacquez has shown signs but also been hurt a bunch and another season ending injury just sadly feels inevitable. Can he produce 6-10 sacks barring he stays healthy??

Behind those 2 are total unkowns. Wish Fran brought in a Cody Roscoe type
Diggs had 4 sacks and 11 TFL's last season against SEC OL's. I suspect we'll see more out of him this year.

Being focused is needed to fully concentrate on what you are doing. Discipline is the chord that ties the two together.

physically they look like a solid team. Ohio has size on both sides of the ball.

Yeah he's been talked about - talked being the most important word. I was surprised because I didn't think he'd put it together.

He's been wildly inconsistent and unable to put on the necessary weight to block appropriately at the position. For years.
One of the most embarrassing plays I’ve ever seen in college football was when he got the ball ripped out of his hands vs BC last year. So either he’s come long way in a short amount time or this is a canary that the group isn’t very good

Wait, what? He was great blocking last season.

One of the most embarrassing plays I’ve ever seen in college football was when he got the ball ripped out of his hands vs BC last year. So either he’s come long way in a short amount time or this is a canary that the group isn’t very good

You mean the slant that CRW threw behind him?

Wait, what? He was great blocking last season.
Being 20 pounds underweight limits who you can block and how long you can hold your blocks. He came in at 6'3 175 and after 2 years in the program was 6'3 180ish. He should be 6'3 200 all day long.

I didn’t say he was a bad blocker.

You look at Justus Ross-Simmons - 6'3 205 - that's where Hatcher should have been last season.

Last edited:
You mean the slant that CRW threw behind him?
Yeah I would say our starting wideout getting his chain snatched in a 10-10 game in the 4th quarter after the big Barron turnover are the type of game losing plays that have plagued this program for two decades

Yeah I would say our starting wideout getting his chain snatched in a 10-10 game in the 4th quarter after the big Barron turnover are the type of game losing plays that have plagued this program for two decades
I’m not trying to hate on the kid and i genuinely hope he does well, but WR strikes me as the easiest to replace production with a portal guy so I’m genuinely surprised that they didn’t recruit over him

What's your assessment of the chase down tackle he had to end the half against Army that prevented disaster?

That's the kind of winning play we haven't had enough of in this program for two decades.

Being 20 pounds underweight limits who you can block and how long you can hold your blocks. He came in at 6'3 175 and after 2 years in the program was 6'3 180ish. He should be 6'3 200 all day long.

I didn’t say he was a bad blocker.

You look at Justus Ross-Simmons - 6'3 205 - that's where Hatcher should have been last season.
I mean saying what guys "should" weigh is kind of nuts in my eyes.

In any event, Hatcher did some really good things last season, among them blocking. Take it fwiw but I'm pretty sure his blocking scored highest on PFF among our WRs.

I mean saying what guys "should" weigh is kind of nuts in my eyes.

In any event, Hatcher did some really good things last season, among them blocking. Take it fwiw but I'm pretty sure his blocking scored highest on PFF among our WRs.
It's kind of not - it's basically the same thing Fran said.

What's your assessment of the chase down tackle he had to end the half against Army that prevented disaster?

That's the kind of winning play we haven't had enough of in this program for two decades.
an indictment of the babers era that best we can say about WR1 is that he made a hustle play to help us not get embarrassed by a service academy with a losing record.

Hoping we can talk about one handed catches and touchdowns moving forward

Last edited:
I’m not trying to hate on the kid and i genuinely hope he does well, but WR strikes me as the easiest to replace production with a portal guy so I’m genuinely surprised that they didn’t recruit over him
The answer is right there. Brought in Ross-Simmons, Meeks, Haynes, a healthy Pena, and freshman Emmanuel Ross.

With all that, Hatcher EARNED a spot on the 1 line. Nothing was given.

Of course if he holds on, we very likely win that game, get to seven wins and Fran is coaching somewhere else, right?

an indictment of the babers era that best we can say about WR1 is that he made a hustle play to help us not get embarrassed by a service academy with a losing record.

Hoping we can talk about one handed catches and touches moving forward
WR1? Who is that? Hatcher is getting the start in part, beyond his improvement, because JRS is limited.

What the hell are you talking about?

I worry about the DE’s more personally. I like Diggs, but I’m not sure he’s gonna put up a double digit sack season. He doesn’t even have 10 total sacks in his college career. I’m sure he will be effective, but if Syracuse wants to win 8+ games this year, Diggs is going to need to be a game wrecker.

Jacquez has shown signs but also been hurt a bunch and another season ending injury just sadly feels inevitable. Can he produce 6-10 sacks barring he stays healthy??

Behind those 2 are total unkowns. Wish Fran brought in a Cody Roscoe type
Glass half-empty?

Hoping we can talk about one handed catches and touches moving forward
First off, let's stop with a Gadsden is a TE thing. Gadsden entered last year as WR1, depth chart be damned.

Second, Alford was WR1. I know, I can't believe it either. And it's even crazier to me how much love that dude got when his best season was identical to Hatcher's season last year, with just a little more yardage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom