Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Ohio | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Ohio

Yup increasing the competitive atmosphere brings out the best in you.
That's what has me most excited about the season.

The amount of depth we brought in during the roster turnover was unreal. This is only going to push everyone to be better . I think Fran said something similar yesterday in that you are what you surround yourself with. If you have a great player that is surrounded by mediocrity they'll likely not push as hard, but if you have a great player that is being pushed by other great players, it lifts everyone up.

The name escapes me right now. But, the jacked Canadian kid didn’t make the 2 deep on defense?

That's what has me most excited about the season.

The amount of depth we brought in during the roster turnover was unreal. This is only going to push everyone to be better . I think Fran said something similar yesterday in that you are what you surround yourself with. If you have a great player that is surrounded by mediocrity they'll likely not push as hard, but if you have a great player that is being pushed by other great players, it lifts everyone up.
Well said

lol he just played Sunday on ESPN for his HE team in Georgia

He was a stud and if he enrolls early I’ll be shocked if he’s not on our depth chart next fall
Ok. Thought he was already here. Hard to keep up !

Seeing people be surprised by Umari is the biggest shock to me.

The kid has absolutely been being talked about long before Fran Brown was here.

It has been talked about that he had all the tools to be a heck of a player but needed to put his focus on football/school and not off field activities so to speak.

Sounds like Fran might have gotten Umari focused and this is a very very very good thing.

Hatcher was a huge get at the time we landed him. He was young and had some expected growing pains. It is possible for kids to keep improving. glad he won the job, I like the kid.

It has been talked about that he had all the tools to be a heck of a player but needed to put his focus on football/school and not off field activities so to speak.

Sounds like Fran might have gotten Umari focused and this is a very very very good thing.
Wasn't he a big video gamer and his time spent there wasn't helping his development or something?

Ive always thought he was best suited for safety but how good he will be there is yet to be known.
Yeah if he is best suited to play there in the NFL he should be good there in college for us. And i personally think we need him starting at a safety spot more than a CB spot with our roster right now.

Last edited:
I worry about the DE’s more personally. I like Diggs, but I’m not sure he’s gonna put up a double digit sack season. He doesn’t even have 10 total sacks in his college career. I’m sure he will be effective, but if Syracuse wants to win 8+ games this year, Diggs is going to need to be a game wrecker.

Jacquez has shown signs but also been hurt a bunch and another season ending injury just sadly feels inevitable. Can he produce 6-10 sacks barring he stays healthy??

Behind those 2 are total unkowns. Wish Fran brought in a Cody Roscoe type
A&M had 42 sacks last year which was # 7 in the country. They had 13 sacks by three LB's and 8 of them from one guy. Diggs got 4 of them at DE but Shemar Turner was the other starting DE at 300 lbs and he got 6 sacks. Then two other DT's had 4 and 3 sacks. Seems like the sacks may get distributed between many players in this defense. I think sacks will be a team effort but Diggs will get his share. I'd guess maybe around 8 sacks which would be fine. I think we have a lot of rotating going on at DL as well. I'm not all that concerned about pass rush by the front 6 or 7. Texas A&M was #13 against the rush but I am slightly concerned about us holding up in the run game due to what we saw in the spring game, a slightly less beefy line-up up the middle and weather or not they can get defensive assignments down early in a more complex defense. But yes I know some have said they were being held back in the spring game.

Texas A&M Aggies 2023 College Football Players Stats - ESPN

This depth chart can be interpreted that either the depth is AMAZING or that not many players have done enough to take the job. I choose to take the positive spin until proven otherwise *fingers crossed*

The entire starting and second teams have been upgraded. None more than QB. Shrader was a warrior but he was hurt last season and couldnt throw. Look at every position and name one that we went backwards.
The answer is none.

Willis might be the best SU running back in years. I expect him to set records as a sophomore. He is an NFL back.
I think so as well but I've been fooled before (Adonis Ameen Moore, etc) so trying to temper expectations.

His body control always stood out to me. Add good route running and solid hands and I always thought he was one of our better receivers with a high ceiling.

When you can’t pass protect or throw the ball more than 10 yards down field (because of QB injuries), teams are going to jam your receivers and Hatcher’s slight stature became apparent.

Dude looks like he’s filled out his frame and is ready to put it all together for a big season.

Sky’s the limit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom