Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Ohio | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Ohio

Hornsby cracks 2 deep. Haven't heard much about him in camp.

Figured that him showing up right at preseason camp was a factor in his overall readiness level, but will be interesting to see where things stand in, say, a month -- once he's more acclimated, knows the playbook a little better, and has shown the coaches what he can do.
Haha. We've both been looking for the same (high-ceiling) guys to show up on the 2-deeps. I've been looking for Hornsby. Shazam. You've asked about Miller a couple times ... boom he showed up. Ross is in there. James is in there. Cream is rising. Only a matter of time before JRS and Meeks get healthy.

Last edited:
I do think we need to temper our expectations for Meeks...he was at Georgia for 3 years and barely ever saw the field. Its entirely possible that he's just an average depth receiver. I hope he's more than that, but we'll see

Meeks was crushing it, then had to have surgery.

He was stuck behind multiple 5* type guys at UGA -
That’s in no way a negative about him, just a commentary on the sick level of talent they bring in.

Meeks was crushing it, then had to have surgery.

He was stuck behind multiple 5* type guys at UGA -
That’s in no way a negative about him, just a commentary on the sick level of talent they bring in.
I would say Hatcher starting is the biggest overall surprise for me. I hope that’s a case of him becoming insanely consistent now and really putting it all together and not just because other guys are still getting up to speed or slightly injured.

Meeks, Ross, Ross-Simmons - these guys are lurking for sure lol

Depth chart could be interpreted that Lewis is the #1 corner. Hes the only one who solidified his role as a starter anong the 4 and I think not many would’ve guessed that. Obviously all 4 will play a lot but surprised to see Lewis as the guy that separated himself for a starting role

Last edited:
I’m pleasantly surprised by some of the youth on there. Watson is gonna be a stud I think. McDaniels has all the measurables to be a freak type corner. Ross is a guy expected on the 2-deep but validates what he could be

man I hope those DTs are effective
I worry about the DE’s more personally. I like Diggs, but I’m not sure he’s gonna put up a double digit sack season. He doesn’t even have 10 total sacks in his college career. I’m sure he will be effective, but if Syracuse wants to win 8+ games this year, Diggs is going to need to be a game wrecker.

Jacquez has shown signs but also been hurt a bunch and another season ending injury just sadly feels inevitable. Can he produce 6-10 sacks barring he stays healthy??

Behind those 2 are total unkowns. Wish Fran brought in a Cody Roscoe type

I worry about the DE’s more personally. I like Diggs, but I’m not sure he’s gonna put up a double digit sack season. He doesn’t even have 10 total sacks in his college career. I’m sure he will be effective, but if Syracuse wants to win 8+ games this year, Diggs is going to need to be a game wrecker.

Jacquez has shown signs but also been hurt a bunch and another season ending injury just sadly feels inevitable. Can he produce 6-10 sacks barring he stays healthy??

Diggs is basically Forrest Whitaker in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

We're gonna be fine.

We are going go see a lot of Emmanuel Ross by the end of the year. And a healthy dose of Willis at RB2 by the end of the year. Not because of injuries either but because these kids are so good and are gonna be hard to keep off the field.

I reallllllly like this defense. I don’t think we have a clear STUD cornerback yet. But I think we have a lot of really good players at corner. I think Barnes or Grant will step up and be that clear CB1 by midseason.

Safties we are loaded. Barron, Clark and Chestnut is about as good as you can have.

Linebackers are real solid. Wax is a legit top 3 linebacker in the country and McDonald is a really solid player.

D-end is real solid. Diggs and Jaquez are real good. I think David O is going to really surprise some people. He is a freak athlete and I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s top 4 on the team in sacks by seasons end.

DT is my biggest concern. Not that really a big concern either. I think Dion Wilson is a really good player and he’ll be real solid. Hastings I think needs to prove himself a little. I like his potential but hasn’t really done anything on the field in college to date yet. I think Perry, Jobity and Fuentes are really solid on the 2 deep though. So if Hastings isn’t producing someone will be.

This defense has a lot of potential. This is by far one of the best all around teams we’ve had in legitimately probably decades. Fingers crossed with no injuries and that a new staff can put everything all together. I have some real hope for this season. I think we can make some noise not just in the ACC but in the country. The GT game will be a huge sign on how this season will go in my opinion.
Willis is going to get a ton of redzone carries as a 226 pound bruiser.

No one knew a kid from McNeese st was gonna be a 1st team all Acc player. It was unknown what Roscoe was gonna give them also.

Seeing people be surprised by Umari is the biggest shock to me.

The kid has absolutely been being talked about long before Fran Brown was here.

It has been talked about that he had all the tools to be a heck of a player but needed to put his focus on football/school and not off field activities so to speak.

Sounds like Fran might have gotten Umari focused and this is a very very very good thing.

I hope he’s not at safety just to maximize his pro potential. We need players in the positions that best help the team.

Absolutely not.

When Fran was bringing him in he told him he felt he would be better at safety.

Duce was unsure and Fran told him to try it out during spring, if it didn’t work out they would move him back to corner clearly, we can see how that worked out

Yes.

I think with the transfer portal, coaches are more reluctant than ever to make any statement that might be construed by players as a negative.

I suspect some of the 'ors' we see here are driven more by fears the staff has of alienating players than reality.

And honestly, if that is what it takes to retain players, the staff should do it.

We pale in comparison to Auburn

Seeing people be surprised by Umari is the biggest shock to me.

The kid has absolutely been being talked about long before Fran Brown was here.

It has been talked about that he had all the tools to be a heck of a player but needed to put his focus on football/school and not off field activities so to speak.

Sounds like Fran might have gotten Umari focused and this is a very very very good thing.
Yup increasing the competitive atmosphere brings out the best in you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom