Game 3 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Purdue | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Game 3 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Purdue

I know Enrique played, and I am almost certain the other Cruz was in there as well. Finishing my rewatch of the game tonight, so will pay close attention to the OL once the starters went out. Thanks for link.

We can have a error margin +/- one game.

Just as long as he doesn't play more than 4 games this season.

Then he gets added to another list.

Does anyone know the status of Anthony Queeley?
I'm pretty sure he did not dress vs. Lville but I thought I saw him in game with reserves late in game with CDRW, LeQuint, etc.

Maybe it was one of those things where a ST player had to wear a different jersey again?

We've been doing that a lot these first 2 games.

Nice to see starters like Mikel & Garrett on ST's - those dudes are playmakers, and in Mikel's case, showing he's a ST ace will help him land and stick in the MFL - just like Zaire.

I still cannot for the life of me understand why that muffed punt that landed in Mikel's hands couldn't be advanced for the TD??? Such a bizarre reversal.
it's in the rules, it's a stupid rule too, you can't advance a muffed punt but I think if the punt returner has control and runs with it and then fumbles, it can be advanced.

Does anyone know the status of Anthony Queeley?
Love the avatar, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." Heralded high school back in NYS history and unselfishly transitioned to blocking fullback late in career. Always admired Harold's unselfishness and team first attitude. Guys like him laid the groundwork for 87 and the success beyond that.

Last edited:
That’s way too small on the DL and where the game is gonna turn. I get the idea. “But so quick they live in the gaps all day.” Purdue is the wrong big ten team for that. We are known in the big ten for having a OL that can’t push huge physical explosive DLs, but the Purdue OL has quickness for days. There is going to be a vacuum at the line of scrimmage that will suck defenders in and all the Purdue outside WRs have to do is run their defenders to the deep corners while the slot guys and Durham work everything in the middle. Purdue will run and pass, but the passing won’t be what you guys think. The outside guys will clear the second level and there will be crossers, rubs screens and routes where the backs flash across the middle around tackle on delays. Jones and the other outside WR may be quiet, your corners are good. The slot guys, Durham and the backs are set up for nice days.

As to us on D… we may find out if Louisville is just kinda bad or really bad like I think .

That’s way too small on the DL and where the game is gonna turn. I get the idea. “But so quick they live in the gaps all day.” Purdue is the wrong big ten team for that. We are known in the big ten for having a OL that can’t push huge physical explosive DLs, but the Purdue OL has quickness for days. There is going to be a vacuum at the line of scrimmage that will suck defenders in and all the Purdue outside WRs have to do is run their defenders to the deep corners while the slot guys and Durham work everything in the middle. Purdue will run and pass, but the passing won’t be what you guys think. The outside guys will clear the second level and there will be crossers, rubs screens and routes where the backs flash across the middle around tackle on delays. Jones and the other outside WR may be quiet, your corners are good. The slot guys, Durham and the backs are set up for nice days.

As to us on D… we may find out if Louisville is just kinda bad or really bad like I think .
Wow, guess I’ll sell my ticket , we have no chance.

You sound like a typical out of conference encounter during the NCAA tourney where teams think they can handle our zone because they faced a few possessions of it during during the year. Those are always my favorite games and you can tell leading in what’s going to happen(you hear it from fans and coaches and players alike btw)

Remember, it’s not THAT our defense is fast (they are) it’s that speed allows us to create so much movement and chaos that 1 of the 5-6 people we rush on a typical play comes free. Those pass concepts may have a lot shorter time to develop than you think

You’ve been great on our board btw, so don’t take this the wrong way, just giving me pleasant March flashbacks ;)

Last edited:

Judging by the Penn State game you might want to re-think the line "Purdue will run and pass". I sure as hell didn't see much running in that game from Purdue. No idea what to expect from Purdue defensively they looked decent against Penn State but got beat up late.

Just thinking aloud here -- having a true #1 receiver is great.

But with QBs like Shrader who throw it accurately and excel at making plays on the move, I wonder if the importance of having an alpha go-to guy is reduced by having a group of guys who can get open and hang onto the ball.

we also seem to now have a plan or scheme to get guys open, vs prior years when felt like there were the same three patterns all game.

trouble would seem to be against man coverage, but harder to run straight M2M with our backfield threats and running QB situation

They need to figure out if Mcdonald is going with 15 now or sticking with 81. He wore 15 and cuse.com shows 15 now. What happen to Neil Nunn? He still shows 15 as well.

I still cannot for the life of me understand why that muffed punt that landed in Mikel's hands couldn't be advanced for the TD??? Such a bizarre reversal.
My understanding is as follows: A punt that is fumbled CAN be advanced. A punt that is muffed CANNOT be advanced. The supposed logic is that in the case of a fumble the receiving team had possession of the ball and subsequently lost it - no different then a fumble on an offense - so the ball can be advanced by the recovering team. In the case of a muff the receiving team never actually possessed the ball. Since there was never any transfer of possession the ball can’t be advanced or the kicking team is essentially kicking the ball to themselves. Not saying I agree with it but I believe that’s the thinking behind it.

Judging by the Penn State game you might want to re-think the line "Purdue will run and pass". I sure as hell didn't see much running in that game from Purdue. No idea what to expect from Purdue defensively they looked decent against Penn State but got beat up late.
Penn state lined up with big explosive four star DL all over the place. If your NT was PJ mustipher and you had chop robinson, Isaac etc I’d be worried. Penn states entire secondary was as good as your corners, Joey porter is better than Anyone on your defense and their DL is was big, explosive and not far off their secondary.

That’s an entire defense as good as your corners and linebackers. If Syracuse roster was Purdue’s roster I’d be saying the same thing.

Our LB cover well (2 of which are NFL guys) and everyone tackles in open space really well. Unless you got a great RB tucked away somewhere, I’ll take our back 7

Oh crap, now I have to try to buy it back !
I gave a reason the game will turn. I’m picturing Purdue up like 21-14 in the third before going off to win like 35-27. If Purdue screws around like the end of that first half be penn state it could get ugly. They can’t go to Syracuse and play B- football. They’ll lose

Syracuse's defense is not constructed on the concept of gap responsibility.
so you’re saying guys that size are going to play over the OL? This sounds like when some Purdue fans tried to sell me Bob Diaco lol

I gave a reason the game will turn. I’m picturing Purdue up like 21-14 in the third before going off to win like 35-27. If Purdue screws around like the end of that first half be penn state it could get ugly. They can’t go to Syracuse and play B- football. They’ll lose
Hey your on our board , you have to expect a little ribbing, I expect a close game that could be decided by a couple big plays . Pick 6 or scoop and score . Like our chances and you like yours , to be expected.

so you’re saying guys that size are going to play over the OL? This sounds like when some Purdue fans tried to sell me Bob Diaco lol
This ain't the Big 10 West, bud. There's other ways to play football.

Repeat after me, Steve Linton. Beware!
This is not a team that comes in like Rutgers. Purdue’s offense has never struggled with anyone who tries to wreak havoc being smaller and faster. Purdue can be affected by players who have good size and are explosive for their size.

Take the loss to Wisconsin last year where Leo Chenal went nuts. Their DL went 275, 290, 285 against a worse Purdue front and then chenal came on delayed blitzes at 6’3” 255 and explosive for his size. It’s Wisconsin.. those guys were all as athletic as what you guys have but just much bigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom